Author Topic: Any got Pike?  (Read 3671 times)

Offline BassFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
Any got Pike?
« on: Jan 12, 2007, 12:17 AM »
Has anybody caught a pike in the Coeur d' Alene area?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any got Pike?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2007, 09:28 AM »
I have heard of a few being caught in Hayden Lake.  Im hoping to get out there myself today or tomorrow.  If I do any good,  Ill post it up.

Offline MetalMurf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2007, 01:12 AM »
The CDA Press says in the outdoor Thurs. section that some decent ones are being caught in Hayden, north end at Sportsman Access, im sure you read it.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2007, 08:26 AM »
I tried Hayden at Sportsmans yesterday for an hour and a half.  Nothing.  Saw 16 other guys all with 5 tipups each and I didn't see a flag go up.  Going back to trout and perch fishing until I hear they are catching them....

Offline BassFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2007, 09:32 PM »
Thanks for the news.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:53 AM »
I have bee non Hayden the last 3 weekends and havent seen a single pike yet.  But that isnt to say that one isnt ready to come out.  Anyone ever try Twin for them? i hear a few guys catch them out of there every year.  If they are in there they must be eating good cuz there are plenty of tiny perch to feed on in those lakes. 

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Twin has a few, but its even slower then Hayden.  That being said, They catch a few every year with some being over 20 pounds.  Like you say there is plenty of feed  for them and they should be thriving......  The first one I heard caught out of there was 15 years ago, so they have had plenty of time.   I have caught one pike on Hayden in three trys.  About a 6 pounder.  Its fun when they bite, but you need to bring a good book.........  Its not like perch fishing.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2007, 09:30 AM »
Ive caught plenty of them out there on Hayden but like you said it can be slow but I have had a few days with multiple fish. the biggest so far is a 15 lb. through the ice that is. But we have had days when we have had lots of flags and landed a few.  Have you ever been up on the chain lakes for them through the ice?  I have been thinking of running up to cave or medecine and trying them.  killarney gets too many wakos on it for me. it is a good place in the spring.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:14 AM »
Tried sportsmans yesterday. No luck. I heard of a couple of small ones caught but none for me.  I walked way out on th eice toe get away from the noise thinking they might be out there.  I thihnk I am going to try the other end today down by Hunnysuckle launch.  Stoped by and checked it out on the way home.  There where a couple of guys heading out on it. they ssaid there was 6 inches of ice there.  Guess if i can convince the wife I need to go today Ill see for myself.

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Gotta try the chain lakes. Hayden gets over fished, in my opinion. Its too close to town. Chatcolet, Cave, and Thompson lake are all good Pike, Bass, and perch and panfish lakes.

Offline fatherbohab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:23 PM »
Gearing up... S who has the skinny on hayden pike. Smelt,Herring,perch. How deep and where. I went last year by sportsmans and we fished where all the other people were. I drilled my first hole and it was only like two feet deep. And I aslso heard of skinning your perch do you think that will help.
an angry man catches no fish.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:43 AM »
Personally I use all of the above mentioned.  Even trout from time to time.  I have a bait bucket that during the year you might find them all in.  I prefer smelt to herring because of the cost. Mostly I use perch though because they are free.  I buy my smelt at the grocery store not the bait shops.  Smelt at super one is like 2$ a lb. VS 5$ for 6 at the bait shop.

As far as depth ? who knows we catch them from 2fow to 15fow.  And anywhere from on the bottom to right under the ice. I usually fish all depths I can. 

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2009, 06:02 PM »
Thompson Lake just north of Harrison is producing a few fish. Using perch for bait. 8-10 feet of water 18" off the bottom has been working.

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2009, 01:23 AM »
Nice Im glad to see the chain lakes producing some pike last year it was slow... at least for me.

Offline perch pullin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2009, 10:03 PM »
Fished Hayden at sportsman access today.  Ended up with one nice pike, about 5 pounds.  Saw one other group with one about the same size.  Not many flags up for the number of people that were out there.  Everyone I talked to says it has been pretty slow.  Caught mine about 30 feet off of a dock in about 6 FOW.  It was a nice sunny day to be out on the ice. 

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:05 AM »
Congrats on the Pike.   Haven't tried for Pike yet this year, but its always been slow fishing Pike for me.  I caught a couple on Hayden two years ago, but it was slow between strikes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.