Author Topic: Standout hooks, and dead stick rigs in general  (Read 1341 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Standout hooks, and dead stick rigs in general
« on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:23 PM »
I was given a standout hook by a guy at free fishing day in Cascade a few weeks back. I have not tried it yet, but I thought it looked interesting.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjVrOS1t-7KAhUY5GMKHcZ6BU8QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ttiblakemore.com%2Fproduct-category%2Fstandout-hooks%2F&psig=AFQjCNGneOenY-XMi1Lq_KeNgriTD40bGQ&ust=1455236193466193

I sometimes use 2 hooks on my tip ups, but I just used a standard hook about 2-3 feet up from the bottom. I am going to experiment some, but it got me wondering: What have others discovered that works for them? Split shot above the hook, or bell sinker at the end of the line? How many hooks? (I don't think there is a legal limit(?)
Does anyone use one of those fancy spreaders?
 :tipup:

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Standout hooks, and dead stick rigs in general
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:27 PM »
How many hooks? (I don't think there is a legal limit(?)

Legal limit is 5 hooks per line.  See current fishing regs page 47:

Hook: A bent wire device, for the catching of fish, to which
one, two, or three points may be attached to a single shank.
Up to five (5) hooks per line may be used, except where
specifically prohibited. When fishing for salmon or steelhead,
the gap between the point and shank cannot be greater than 5/8
inch. A single-pointed hook has one shank and one point.

Offline elkstalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:46 AM »
I frequently use a heavier jig on the bottom and an Ice fly or rat finkie about 18" above, seems to work pretty well.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2016, 11:07 AM »
What have others discovered that works for them? Split shot above the hook, or bell sinker at the end of the line? How many hooks? (I don't think there is a legal limit(?)  Does anyone use one of those fancy spreaders?

My go-to dead stick setup is a lure about 30 inches above an Eagle Claw 181 Baitholder hook.  The lure is usually a small Kastmaster in copper or gold or a coppper/nickel colorado, hook(s) removed.  With #14 brass snap swivels above and below the lure.  We have seen on rare occasion strikes on the kastmaster upon the initial drop into the water, and are playing around with leaving the treble on it.

That standout hook is interesting.  Looks like it would provide a horizontal presentation of something normally rigged for "dragging."

We've played with multiple hook setups when jigging minnows (without success so far), and even considered an umbrella rig but haven't tried it.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:37 AM »
for tipups i use plain #4 circle hooks, or #8 trebles depending on the species i'm targeting. no weight.

for deadsticks, i never fish fewer than 2 hooks, usually small teardrop jigs or some other vertical jig, i also like using tiny spoons like a frostee jigging spoon or the smallest swedish pimples in combination with a CJ&S nuclear ant in red, green, black, or glow.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2016, 06:18 PM »
I started out using bare hooks, but yesterday I had much better luck with a glo green forage minnow with the single hook- I caught my biggest perch on that with a perch eye.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.