Author Topic: Best ice flasher for the money  (Read 6675 times)

Offline ahunterboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Best ice flasher for the money
« on: Feb 05, 2015, 11:46 AM »
i have been ice fishing for over 20 years but I am new to the electronics involved. I am looking for advise on ice flashers, I have looked at marcum, humminbird, and vexlar but I'm not sure what would be the best for the money. Any help would be appreciated
ahunterboy--- keep yer stick on the ice

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best ice flasher for the money
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2015, 11:52 AM »
What's your budget?  Biggest difference between most of the lower end units and higher end is the power of the unit.  Also you are right on the verge of seeing some nice ice fishing end of season sales coming up, which would be a good time to buy.

You could potentially get a Ford/Chevy type of debate here as well.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:00 PM »
Resale        Vexilar
Reliable        Vexilar
Fish all Weekend on one Charge
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Get at the least a Vexilar FL18 and you will be happy. Vexilar makes a quality flasher and i say go with at least the FL18 because it goes to 200 feet where i think the FL 12 goes to 120ft or somthing like that.

Offline ahunterboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:25 PM »
I have been looking at a marcum showdown 5.6, I would like to stay under $400 if possible
ahunterboy--- keep yer stick on the ice

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:56 PM »
I am not as familiar with the showdown series but have an LX5 that I have been very happy with.  Looks like they can be had from Reeds Sporting Goods for about $100 off and you get free shipping and no sales tax.

The $400 price range and upcoming sales should get you a good unit no matter what you choose.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline IDFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:29 PM »
I have been looking at a marcum showdown 5.6, I would like to stay under $400 if possible

I dont have experience with anything else but I have been extremely satisfied with my Marcum.  For under $400 you can get a Marcum LX3.  I have had mine for 4 years now and it has performed absolutely flawlessly.  Battery lasts all weekend and powerful enough to watch a 1/4" piece of worm slowly float 60' down to the bottom of the lake.  I'm sure others are good as well but i did a ton of research before i bought and all of my research pointed to Marcum.  Good luck on your search.

Offline idtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:47 PM »
I know this is a debate that can go on and on at least that is what i discovered before i bought mine. I ended up with a marcum LX5 and have been very happy with my decision. For me it was between Vexilar and Marcum but the price of the Marcum pulled me in, bought it on sale. So far no complaints just wish i could use it more and but maybe putting it away for another season way sooner than i would like.

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:02 PM »
I had a fl8 and now own a Marcum tc3. I do not regret selling the Vex and getting the Marcum. Both are lower end units but for the price the Marcum has more features (bottom lock) and I don't get near the interference I had with the Vex, when I do get interference it only takes one or two pushes of the ir button and its gone. What do your friends use? that will help your decision also, when I had a Vex I would get lots of interference from my buddies Vex now we fish in the same tent and I get none on my Marcum, but when I fish with another friend with a Marcum we get a little(but it easily fixed). So I guess if your friends have Marcum's get a Vex if you want but if they have a Vexes get a Marcum. Just my two cents, a flasher is a great tool and you will catch more fish using one no matter who the manufacture is.

Offline canoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:41 PM »
I do not know what the sale this year will be, but last year I bought a Hummingbird ICE 55 from Reed's for $399.00 with free shipping.  So far I am happy with the unit, but of course time will tell.  Seems most folks like the Marcum or Vexlar units....only advice I have is buy the unit you want and do not worry about it....they all work well.

Offline Captain Clutch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2015, 02:26 PM »
I got a good deal on a Marcum VX1 4 years ago for $269 from cabelas.  I had fished with a friends FL8 and 20 and I Liked both, easy to use.  Marcum seems to have better illumination and as others have said, tend to interfere with a Vex but I don't get interfered with Vexs when I fish close to them.  Only thing I would disagree with is I don't believe there is such a thing as a "low end" flasher in the model ranges....they all seem to be good and we'll built.  Some of the other features on the "high end" flashers many guys don't use.  That being said....have my heart set on the LX7.

Truly the Vex and Marcum are both great in my eye

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2015, 03:04 PM »
Check Glens Army Navy they have blowout deals coming up or even now.
BOWHUNTER68

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2015, 01:57 PM »
i have been ice fishing for over 20 years but I am new to the electronics involved. I am looking for advise on ice flashers, I have looked at marcum, humminbird, and vexlar but I'm not sure what would be the best for the money. Any help would be appreciated

Honestly? The one you can afford and actually fish with.

I'm a Marcum guy, but truthfully it really doesn't matter they basically all do the same thing.  IMO Marcum has a little bit more to offer in zoom and target separation for the price.  I have buddies that during any given day out fish me without a flasher, some that have Vexilar and I out fish them then they out fish me.  Really it's an old debate that really just plain boils down to which one someone bought originally.

For what it's worth, the new Vexilar units haven't really changed their production or design and as such are still as reliable as they were 10 years ago.  But Marcum is really trying to make everything cutting edge, LCD screen, more power etc. Seems like the new units (2014 and newer) from Marcum are giving people more problems then new Vexilar.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Excuse my intrusion, I went with a true graph sonar. It also has a whirly colored light setting, gets used year round.     :whistle:

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2015, 02:28 PM »
Excuse my intrusion, I went with a true graph sonar. It also has a whirly colored light setting, gets used year round.     :whistle:

I built this just before I got my Marcum.  When the LX-3tc was in the shop this year, I used this.  I'll throw it back on the boat to jig walleye this week.  Honestly I think this should be everyone's first experience with a flasher especially if they already have a unit on their boat. $79 bucks for a ice ducer, $20 bucks for a battery...

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2015, 02:40 PM »
Wow, that's a bargain and multipurpose way to go, F_L.    I used the skimmer ducer for years, run & gun or vegetate, ha.    The lil Lowrance X67C has been going like that pink bunny, ha.  Discontinued though.    :'(

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2015, 02:59 PM »
Those little units are some of the best.  Hopefully they can still service even if discontinued.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2015, 03:18 PM »
I've read they can service them, depending on how bad it's hurt. lol

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2015, 09:45 AM »
Hard to beat the Marcum VX1 or what ever they are calling it now.  Its their entry level flasher and its bullet proof.  I have had mine about 10 years now.  If you fish in water over a 100 feet deep, Id go the next step up for more power.  On the lakes I fish mine does every thing I want it to. 

Offline wyoguy2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:01 PM »
I have the Showdown 5.6 and have been very pleased with it.  It's easy to use has the bottom zoom which is nice and mine has dual beam.  No issues to date.  I rarely fish in water over 60 ft.  I also like the vertical display.  If you can get to a place where they have different brands on display and you can mess with them that would be a big help.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:58 PM »
I bought a MarCum VX-1P and I'm very happy with it! 

Good luck with your choice,
Bob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.