Author Topic: ririe resivoir update?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline blacty

• IceShanty Rookie
ririe resivoir update?
« on: Dec 29, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Anybody been or have updates on ice conditions?

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ririe resivoir update?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2014, 07:02 AM »
Buddy drove up yesterday. Still wide open:(
Always remember, keep your stick on the ice- Red & Green

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2014, 08:56 AM »
With all the unusually warm weather i'm curious to see if it caps at all this year.

Offline blacty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2014, 08:56 AM »
Bummer!!

Offline osgoj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2014, 04:50 PM »
As of 1:20 pm on 12/30/14 - There isn't even ice in off the edges a few feet.  Totally wide open and steam billowing off the water.  Was really surprised given the cold overnight temps the last few nights.

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2014, 11:03 AM »
Speaking of Ririe, does anyone have tips they could share on going after the perch there?  Are they generally hugging the bottom?  How deep do you like to fish for them?  I know the general locations of what the old timers call the "perch water", but if it does freeze up there this year I'd like to try and catch some perch out of Ririe.  If you need to PM me that's fine, just looking for some general pointers....thanks.

Offline osgoj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2014, 11:44 AM »
Checked it this morning, was expecting maybe a thin cap on parts at least.  But even with the super low temps last night, it is totally wide open.  Major bummer.  If this didn't start it icing over, I'm not sure it will at all this season.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2014, 11:45 AM »
All you guys are checking on it, but has anyone bothered to measure the surface temperature of the water?

Offline osgoj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Speaking of Ririe, does anyone have tips they could share on going after the perch there?  Are they generally hugging the bottom?  How deep do you like to fish for them?  I know the general locations of what the old timers call the "perch water", but if it does freeze up there this year I'd like to try and catch some perch out of Ririe.  If you need to PM me that's fine, just looking for some general pointers....thanks.

Your instincts are right on.  I always catch perch right off the bottom, trout about 5 feet off the bottom about 30 yards off the bank, and kokanee from 10-25 feet down in the deeper water.  While I've caught kokanee at varying depths from 5 feet down to 35 feet, I've never caught any perch at any other levels of the water column than right near the bottom.  So if that's what you're after, get it down where they're at.

Offline Bardic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Stopped by today and realized I hadn't bought my 2015 license yet. So then I was going to just check from the dock with my fish finder and see what the temps were and if I could spot any fish, but my shoes weren't really made for the deep powder so I left.

Here are the pics I have from today. Still some open water, but it is getting there.

http://imgur.com/a/RxgFb

Offline osgoj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:24 AM »
Checked it this morning, and it is looking great.  Not safe at the Juniper dock yet, but the reservoir is capped from the dam, tapering all the way back to the first bend in the canyon where it opens up.  Nobody had been out on it yet when I checked it.  But with the temps we've been having, and the forecast for the next few days, I'm thinking this weekend might be do-able.

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:30 AM »
Can't believe the diehards hadn't even drilled holes off the docks yet! lol  I am definitely looking forward to fishing it this year, lets all hope and pray the ice continues to build with the warm-up this next week.

Offline Bardic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2015, 01:04 PM »
Do people fish off the private dock (assuming you can make it around the gate on the thin ice) and does it get out far enough to reach the kokanee paths or some good depths of water?

Offline rjd007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:17 AM »
Bardic, great pictures!

Looks Like I will wait another week before I venture up there.

Offline osgoj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:30 PM »
Went out this afternoon to fish it.  There were several groups out on the ice, so I headed out.  Drilled a few holes, and got 3 inches everywhere I tried.  So I called it off, and will head out another time - just too thin for me fishing by myself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.