Author Topic: cascade -crown point  (Read 1900 times)

Offline archer33

• IceShanty Rookie
cascade -crown point
« on: Feb 08, 2013, 01:29 AM »
Hello to everyone! I'm brand new to the forum and an inexperienced ice angler. I started ice fishing last year and was hooked immediately and love to get the opportunity to head out and fish during  the Cold months of the year. Just wanted to see if anyone had any info on this area... I fished cascade around crown point in the fall and had some pretty good success for some nice perch . Thinking about going out that way this weekend to check it out. Just want to know if anyone fishes this area with much success ice fishing?  Any information helps and I appreciate anything I can pick up  ,I pretty much know the basics and that's about it.

Thank you

idfishnhunt

Re: cascade -crown point
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2013, 02:24 PM »
No reply's?  I always mean to go try this area out each year, I have not made it to Cascade yet this year, been fishing locally.  Seems like if i recall past posts have always mentioned trout fishing in this area, but then again everyone congregates around Sugarloaf for Perch during hard water.  Jumbo's are all around though, I've caught them at Blue Heron too, although I never really target them I just take the kids up and enjoy spending time on the ice with them, so no fear of me eradicating the perch population like some are so worried about  ;D , I usually come home with a mixed bag wherever I end up going.  Most of the fun is finding new areas to try out...you wonder why your the only person sitting out there...till you start catching them, and then laugh humbly to yourself.

Good luck out there.

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2013, 03:23 PM »
I have not fished it this year and most likely will not so I can not offer any advice for this year. With that said last year I fished it three times. Caught a couple perch and nice trout right below the park. Fished clear out on the point west of the park and a little around it towards the north and did not do so well. Unless things changed I feel that there are better spots or I just didn't quite find the best of that area.

One of the trips there was a party that came out afternoon and fished by the buoys. They caught a couple trout in the few hours they were there. A couple of guys fished along the area by the park and caught several perch but they were of medium size. I marked tons of them in the same area but all I caught were throw backs.

Offline archer33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2013, 04:09 PM »
Thanks for the insight, probably will just give it a go and see what happens. Maybe we will get lucky.fished around sugar loaf last weekend and had limited success . Just a couple of trout in about 5 hours, most guys I talked to said not many people were on the fish. Doesn't hurt to try some where new like you said. Again, thanks for the information.  Will post a report if I make it out.

Offline fishnfred

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Chasing Trophies
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2013, 05:10 PM »
fished crown point a few weeks back. not much success just a few little trout. Did much better at sugar loaf but yet it's been a few weeks. The fish move and it could very easy get hot at crown any weekend. 

Good luck
Rippin lips, burning drag, and landing slabs!

idfishnhunt

« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:46 PM »
That section to get out to Sugarloaf is closed now if I remember right?  I'm curious if anyone walks to Sugarloaf now from the parking lot, or is it all atv and snowmobile traffic to get out there.  It's quite a haul out there with the little ones with me.

Also I know some people weren't paying for their parking last year and not getting checked.  I couldn't remember if you still have to pay during the winter?  I had a state park pass last year, but didn't get one this year...and yes I know you can get it with registration which I haven't had to do yet.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:09 PM »
you can walk just out from the ramp or over too the corner, other than that its a long ways... I don't every pay during the winter in the past, this year I got the season deal.... its not maintained so IMO you should not have too pay during the winter months,
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2013, 08:49 AM »
this year I got the season deal.

Ya for 10 clams and access to all state parks it's a no brainer. I got a little note from the ranger last year so I did not want to take chance. I hope many take advantage of the deal so it continues as I think the yearly pass was $30-40.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2013, 10:34 AM »
Ya for 10 clams and access to all state parks it's a no brainer. I got a little note from the ranger last year so I did not want to take chance. I hope many take advantage of the deal so it continues as I think the yearly pass was $30-40.

yep did the same, season pass $10 with vehicle registration, no brainer is right, my pickup is  due Dec. 31 every year so i'm going too get that from now on...
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline archer33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Fished crown pt area Saturday. Slow day. Mostly small fish. Kept 3 9-10 inch fish and 3 that were. About 11 inches. Most fish were caught the first hour , then not much action for the rest of the day.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2013, 01:19 AM »
Fished over the weekend off Sugarloaf.  Put in a Poison Creek and despite the wind, managed to catch a few nice perch. Jumbos at 14" but none bigger. Our trip last year produced some 15 to 15 1/2" perch.  Visited with quite a few people and seemed slow for most.  By late afternoon yesterday, snow was being driven into the holes by the 25mph wind. Spent most time in shack.

Offline KunaFrmr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2013, 02:05 PM »
Heading to Cascade in the morning.  I was wondering how much snow is on the ice currently.  I read where it had snowed yesterday and I'm trying to decide on whether to take the 4 wheeler or the snowmobile.  Have folks been running out across the lake on sleds, etc?  I heard that there was about 15 inches of ice on the lake right now.?.?

Tomorrow I mostly plan to 'run and gun' to see if there's some pattern to the Perch right now.  So guys, don't get mad if you see a Pollock out there in a red Ice Armour jacket running from place to place tomorrow..... My wife told me to 'find the fish!' so that I could take her fishing this weekend.  So don't blame me, it's not my fault.  I'm pretty sure that you married guys will understand.  ;D

Good luck and safe fishing out there!!

Offline KozinKenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:17 PM »
Hi Kunafrmr.
We were at Cascade (Poisen Saturday) (Sugarloaf Sunday). Approx. 17.5 to 18" Ice. 1/2 inch snow on the ice as of 2:00 pm Sunday.  Fishing was slow. Saturday the wind blew constantly 20-30 MPH all day long. Sunday little wind. Sunshined both days. Fishing yielded small male perch and a few small trout.  I personally think the females are beginning their spawn.  We are heading up Thursday to Sunday, maybe we will do better. You seen my rigs so don't hesitate to stop by or flag me down if you see us.
"When an Ice Fisherman Freezes, another one thaws and takes his place."
~Patrick F. McManus~

Good Fish'n, Kenny

Offline KunaFrmr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Thanks for the info KozinKenny.  Actually I'm pretty excited to finally get up to Cascade this year.  I may stay away this weekend though because, isn't this weekend for Tom's Tackle Tourney?  Boy, if it is Tourney weekend, parking may be at a premium.  But if I do go, I may come in from the West side on the snowmobile and put in at French Creek and head North.   

I'm not sure about the female Perch already spawning though.  I say that because from what I've read the females usually spawn somewhere betwen 42 - 53 degrees.  I would think that it's a bit early yet.  When you were filleting those male Perch, were their sacks full of milk?  Last year it was mid to late March when we noticed that. 

Well what the heck, tomorrow is supposed to be partly cloudy with light winds.... add a few nice jumbo Perch.....who could ask for more?   Thanks again.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:45 PM »
The tourney is next weekend boys... Don't catch all the big ones, I need a few at toms tourney maybe... Havnt decided yet,
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline StrikeMojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:11 PM »
I ran all over the lake Saturday on my snowmobile, with no issues...
Tight Lines,

Offline KunaFrmr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2013, 12:37 PM »
Thanks StrikeMojo.  My trip to Cascade got cut short early this AM.  Somehow/someway the trailer harness got ripped out of the 7 pin receptacle on my truck and well....apparently dragging it down the road isn't good for those things.  Luckily a guy stopped me on the highway 55 and told me about it.   :-\  Anyway, I had no choice but to turn around and find a place to buy a new one.   How about all the way back to Boise!

Looks like I'll try it again on Thursday.  Some of the guys from this forum are planning to be on the ice then.  Hopefully I'll run into some of them and say hello.  Thanks again for the ice report.  Frmr

Offline StrikeMojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Planning on hitting the lake Friday and Sunday if possible.  Burning a lot of diesel to catch a few fish, but you can't hang a price tag on a good time, right?
Tight Lines,

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:31 PM »
my bad, the tourney is this weekend.... sorry......
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.