Author Topic: jigging for pike  (Read 1505 times)

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
jigging for pike
« on: Feb 27, 2012, 12:38 AM »
I know they tipups are the way to get big pike but i really like to jig when i fish and use my flasher so i  setup 1 tip up and jig in my hut 2 lines/angler and i can use livebait what do you find bings in the big pike iusually use the buckshot w muds but recently nailed an almost 6 pounder on a modified lindy darter w a minnow head my biggest jigged pike

whats lure bait combo do u jig up a big ones with?
SEOO

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: jigging for pike
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:37 AM »
I'm the same as you one dead stick with a cisco or other large dead bait fish outside and jig inside.
My best producing jigs have been Northland Airplane Jigs and the large Lindy darters.
I tip them with a large shiner or 3" smelt. On the darter I hang it underneath the bait strung between the two trebles and on the airplane jig I hook the single hook through the head and the treble trailer through the back.

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2012, 04:51 PM »
I only used a miinnow head on the bottom hook of the darter i put on bigger hooks too u do find a full minnow effects the action hooked on both trebles?

ive used bucktails b4 w minimal success decided to put some time in with the darter since i like the action n rattle of it
SEOO

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2012, 05:39 PM »
I only used a miinnow head on the bottom hook of the darter i put on bigger hooks too u do find a full minnow effects the action hooked on both trebles?

ive used bucktails b4 w minimal success decided to put some time in with the darter since i like the action n rattle of it

The full minnow actually makes it work better. IMO
It slows down the fall rate and makes the action of the lure look even more like a wounded baitfish.
I haven't bothered with changing the hooks yet. I find they are fine the with the ones they come with.
I have landed pike over 20#'s with them this winter as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.