Author Topic: Sealed Lead Acid vs Lithium Batteries: Is Upgrading Worth It?  (Read 2598 times)

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Curious how much run time you will get out your sealed lead acid and lithium batteries in cold weather? Look no further.

Offline acmarcus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sealed Lead Acid vs Lithium Batteries: Is Upgrading Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2019, 04:47 PM »
i made the switch last year and haven't looked back!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2019, 05:09 PM »
  Nice video
 I still run sla batteries , granted lithium is lighter and runs longer without question , but comparing a 7amp to a 10 amp , I run 10amp sla batteries and get 5 years use , with an average of 4 days a week , most 10 hr days, but only 3 months use
 And $20.00 , a piece
 My new shuttle has a lithium but have not put it to work yet

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Absolute worth the money in weight reduction alone (in the panoptix pack at least), plus the extra power it provides on the long cold days.
 Now if this new thing with solid state batteries takes off, it’ll be a whole new ball game. It’ll be to lithium what lithium was to SLA, and hopefully even cheaper.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2019, 06:13 PM »
Absolute worth the money in weight reduction alone (in the panoptix pack at least), plus the extra power it provides on the long cold days.
 Now if this new thing with solid state batteries takes off, it’ll be a whole new ball game. It’ll be to lithium what lithium was to SLA, and hopefully even cheaper.

Not cheaper. Means I would have to do another entire retrofit - sounds expensive. Well, I guess I wouldn’t HAVE to.... ::)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2019, 07:39 PM »
For the price and required charger you can buy 3-4 VLRA batteries.   I maintain my batteries and can easily get 5 or more years from them. 

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2019, 07:54 PM »
For the price and required charger you can buy 3-4 VLRA batteries. 

My bad, misread that.  Lol

For $19?   Wow, that's cheap.  ??? 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2019, 08:16 PM »
Lithium chargers are not the expensive part.the weight,runtime and overall charge cycles are worth going lithium.reports of 80 hrs run time running a vexilar flx28.can run forever without charging them.also way longer runtime on the more power consuming graphs.i dont have any problems keeping sla batteries for over 5 years and still have a fleet of them too.but running lithiums in my fishfinders.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Lithium chargers are not the expensive part.the weight,runtime and overall charge cycles are worth going lithium.reports of 80 hrs run time running a vexilar flx28.can run forever without charging them.also way longer runtime on the more power consuming graphs.i dont have any problems keeping sla batteries for over 5 years and still have a fleet of them too.but running lithiums in my fishfinders.

Current draw: 200 ma at 12V DC for a Vex flx28, sooo, 5 hours for 1 amp and if you're using a 10 amp battery+ 50 hours.  Can run forever without charging.   ::)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2019, 05:23 PM »
Current draw: 200 ma at 12V DC for a Vex flx28, sooo, 5 hours for 1 amp and if you're using a 10 amp battery+ 50 hours.  Can run forever without charging.   ::)
right on .im running the 12ah lithium this year.run,run and run some more.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2019, 05:37 PM »
I currently run a 9ah SLA and can go all day with a full charge. When it goes bad I will switch to a lithium. Weight being the #1 reason.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2019, 06:51 PM »
I currently run a 9ah SLA and can go all day with a full charge. When it goes bad I will switch to a lithium. Weight being the #1 reason.
i was getting over 34 hrs on a 9ah sla which is plenty good but every pound i can shave off is great.the vexilar feel like a toy its so light.lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.