New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake fishing  (Read 116001 times)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Silver lake fishing
« Reply #480 on: Dec 18, 2020, 07:35 PM »
I did an early drive around Silver Lake today Fri 12/18/20.  The North end has skim ice just past Standpipe Rd.  The North end creek water flow into the lake is still open out 300 to 400 yds.  The South end has skim ice up to the State Launch and across the lake just short of Mack's.  There is some shore ice along the balance of the lake but not much.  It is going to be a few more weeks of teen temps for the North and South ends and even more for the main lake body.  As a note Mack's boat livery is for sale and the parking lot was not plowed as of today, so I would assume that their parking area my not be available this year.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #481 on: Jan 08, 2021, 04:45 PM »
I Checked Silver today.  3" to 3-1/2" of ice at Southend State Launch straight out, I checked various spots going out to 300 yds. from shore.  There were two fishermen out about 400 yds.  South end ice only goes as far North as the South boarder of YMCA Camp then open water; Golf Course open water; Ice at Standpipe Rd was only 2" with open water to the North out 200 to 300 yds.  Ice at Perry Beach only 2" and only goes out 100 to 200 yds. with open water all the way to the West Shore.  At Mack's it was open water to the North.  See ice pic's attached.  You have to open each pic to see the location.   This is only a report, you make your own decision.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #482 on: Jan 09, 2021, 05:01 PM »
Today the South end out 300 to 400 yds from the State Launch the ice was again 3" to 3-1/2" thick, 4 hard hits with my 1" wide spud goes through.  There is open water just North of Silver Lake Marina that goes across the lake to Mack's and open all the way to the North end.  Roughly a doz or more fishermen on the South end today, many without a spud, crazy.  Caught small perch and gills, threw them all back.  It is your decision as to whether you go out on this thin ice.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #483 on: Jan 10, 2021, 09:14 AM »
Nice thorough reporting, perch chacer.  Thanks.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #484 on: Jan 10, 2021, 05:19 PM »
With the South end being the only fishable ice at the present, everyone is out there and like always if they see a group they assume they must be catching fish and they head in that direction.  Before long you have a small village all in one area as it was today.  You would be surprise what a lot of surface traffic can do to the fish bite in shallow water.  I head in the opposite direction.  There was an ok perch bite today where I was, but mostly small only a few were 8".  Need deep water 30-35' mid lake for some bigger perch, but I'll have to wait a few more weeks for the mid lake perch bite.  Stay safe this time of year and use your spud.  PS: Higgins Bait at Silver Lake on West Lake Rd at Abbott has fat head minnows, mousees, red and white spikes, etc.  Great place to buy your bait, give them a try.

Offline lockfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #485 on: Jan 16, 2021, 04:24 PM »
Was at Silver on Wednesday this week. Ice is about 4 inches until the marina all across the south end. Only caught small perch and one pike. definitely not worth the trip

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #486 on: Jan 16, 2021, 05:06 PM »
Anyone have any infrormation on any recent NYSDEC Walleye stocking?

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #487 on: Jan 16, 2021, 05:57 PM »
Does anyone know if you need to pay to park at State Park/boat launch to ice fish there in the winter?

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #488 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:50 PM »
Is higgans open? Where you get bait?

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #489 on: Jan 16, 2021, 10:46 PM »
Does anyone know if you need to pay to park at State Park/boat launch to ice fish there in the winter?
I fished on Thursday and we talked to a state trooper in the lot and said that they are not patrolling it for tickets ( but he didn't say that) so have  fun  and fish on!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #490 on: Jan 17, 2021, 12:12 AM »
Is higgans open? Where you get bait?
I posted this 6 posts above:  Higgins Bait at Silver Lake on West Lake Rd at Abbott has fat head minnows, mousees, red and white spikes, etc.  His sign says he is open 24hrs., it's a self-serve.  Be honest and drop him a tip now and then.  He has good prices and keeps great bait all season long.  He did not have pike chubs (shiners) last weekend but he might have them now that the ice is staying fishable.

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #491 on: Jan 17, 2021, 09:51 AM »
Anyone have any infrormation on any recent NYSDEC Walleye stocking?
Silver Lake
Perry
June
Walleye Silver Lake
Wyoming
Perry
June
Walleye
1.4 in.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #492 on: Jan 17, 2021, 01:55 PM »
The yearly walleye stocking program for Silver Lake was stopped in 1996, because the walleye were reproducing naturally.  Due to decline in the walleye population since then the stocking of walleye fingerlings was reinitiated in 2016 and 2018 (as Youngblood has said) and was suppose to continue bi-annually, 2020?? 

Offline Puffintuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #493 on: Jan 18, 2021, 06:59 AM »
Does anyone know if Higgins has pike minnows?about to make the hour drive but might have to stop somewhere else if not thanks!
he crusha the percha

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #494 on: Jan 18, 2021, 03:47 PM »
They had some big shiners the morning that I went on a weekday.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #495 on: Jan 18, 2021, 11:35 PM »
Does anyone know if Higgins has pike minnows? About to make the hour drive but might have to stop somewhere else if not thanks!
Give them a call:  Higgins Family Bait,  3834 W Lake Rd, Silver Springs, NY 14550
1-(585) 689-3186.  Sorry I didn't see you were leaving Monday morning, keep it for future reference.

Offline TeamDragScreamers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #496 on: Jan 19, 2021, 06:11 AM »
Good Morning to all, new to the site, long time follower though browsing all the topics. I will be staying on Silver lake this weekend, I believe I will be closer to the north end. Is the whole lake locked up now? That would be nice to be able to fish in front of the cottage. How is the walleye fishing on the lake? Thank you all in advance.

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #497 on: Jan 19, 2021, 10:31 AM »
Good Morning to all, new to the site, long time follower though browsing all the topics. I will be staying on Silver lake this weekend, I believe I will be closer to the north end. Is the whole lake locked up now? That would be nice to be able to fish in front of the cottage. How is the walleye fishing on the lake? Thank you all in advance.
The eyes are around but good luck catching them. Better off going after pike.  Nobody has been out in north end yet just drove by it has wet spots I would fish the south end to be safe.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #498 on: Jan 19, 2021, 11:02 AM »
Sounds good. Thanks Scooby31 for the update. Yeah I was going to try for some pike with a few tip-ups, saw there was walleye and figured ill give it a try. I got a few in Honeoye last year when I was told it was slow.  MAYBE by Saturday that north end will be better and I can get some tipups out a 50-100 yards.   

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #499 on: Jan 19, 2021, 07:15 PM »
Found the gills today. A lot of dinks, but when the Biggins showed up, boy where they big.  :woot:
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #500 on: Jan 20, 2021, 10:04 AM »
Riddle. South end? I see on the web camera a lot of people out there. I will be out there Saturday. I will try by the Institute if the ice looks safe. Were they shallow? Any pike hitting?

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #501 on: Jan 20, 2021, 05:20 PM »
Youngblood & perch chaser, thanks for the info. Promising, as they are stocking with fingerlings. ;D

Offline outfisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #502 on: Jan 22, 2021, 02:46 PM »
Any info on snowfall totals on the ice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #503 on: Jan 22, 2021, 02:54 PM »
Haven't been on the lake but about 12in. on the ground.

Offline outfisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #504 on: Jan 22, 2021, 03:02 PM »
Thanks. It's about the same out my way as well. Probably stay local then. I appreciate it.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #505 on: Jan 22, 2021, 10:38 PM »
I知 going to target eyes in the morning. I値l send some pics😂

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #506 on: Jan 23, 2021, 08:15 AM »
A ton of people out on the south end by the state launch. Hope the bite is good over there.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #507 on: Jan 23, 2021, 02:08 PM »
I知 going to target eyes in the morning. I値l send some pics😂
I知 gonna pick on you but I got no pics worth it neither.

WHERES THE PICS!! Lol
Prolly jinxed yourself.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #508 on: Jan 23, 2021, 04:17 PM »
Might need to cut him some slack. ;)When that lake was being supplemented with stockers, it fished well.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #509 on: Jan 23, 2021, 05:47 PM »
I've fished this lake since the early 60's most every weekend during the Winter, we used to caught an occasional eye through the ice.  Even when they had the walleye stocking program in the 80's and 90's and there was a good 4 year population in the lake, we only caught a few during the Winter.  The majority of walleyes caught were during the soft water months and you got some nice ones.  Now that the walleye population is low, Winter eyes just aren't caught in this lake.  DEC started restocking some fingerlings in 2016 and 2018 but not many just a test stocking.  If you want Winter walleyes go to Chautauqua, Conesus or Oneida.  Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.