Author Topic: Propane options for Mr. Buddy Heater.  (Read 4473 times)

Offline IceManBran

• Team IceShanty Regular
Propane options for Mr. Buddy Heater.
« on: Dec 04, 2008, 12:10 PM »
Well, i'm buying a buddy heater soon, but i'm stuck on which method to go with for supplying the heater with gas.

My options are...

A. 1 pound cylinders (expensive...)
B. Refill 1 pound cylinders from a 20 pound (ive heard mixed reviews on this)
C. Use a bigger tank and hose (i'd rather not lug around a 20 pound take though, and smaller tanks seem to be expensive)

Thoughts?  Personal preference?

Offline jdisci

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The snack that smiles back, goldfish"
Re: Propane options for Mr. Buddy Heater.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2008, 12:22 PM »
I don't have a Mr. Buddy but I use a 1st generation sport cat ,Heater/cooker and propane lantern and I use option "B".
JMO.

"Like minnows in a bucket..."
Joe

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:03 PM »
if you use the 20 lb. bottle& hose, be sure to use the filter .you can buy from the mr. heater website.

HIMO
                                  IceShanty Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:08 PM »
I use 5 and 11 lb tanks and the quick disconnect for my buddy heaters    only way to go  I even made up a hose so if Im going to be gone a few days I take my 40 lb tank with me  and can fill up my 5 and 11 lb tanks on the go  the 11 lb tank is translucent so I always know exactly how much propane I have left in it!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:10 PM »
Depends on when I'm fishing, if I can drive my truck on the ice I bring a 20# and a hose, if walking or using a sled or wheeler I either use my little 5# or a few 1# tanks. If you mainly fish after you can drive onto the ice a 20# tank is not that big of a deal but if there's a weight issue it's problably easiest to go with a or b for the time being
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline IceManBran

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:31 PM »
True, I could just use 1 pounders early season.  I guess 20 pounds of propane isn't a huge deal anyways.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:42 PM »
I have a 5 pounder and a 20 pounder if I go on a longer trip.

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2008, 03:20 PM »
I use option b with no problems.

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2008, 03:29 PM »
I'm in the same boat, didn't know which way to go. Thanks for the post and comments. I'll be using option B, it makes more sense to haul a 20 pound-er when you can drive on the ice and the light tank when your on the hoof. :tipup: :icefish:
When Hell Freezes over........I'll Ice Fish there too!    <><   <*}}}><     <><   <>< <><

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2008, 09:56 PM »
Depends on when I'm fishing, if I can drive my truck on the ice I bring a 20# and a hose, if walking or using a sled or wheeler I either use my little 5# or a few 1# tanks. If you mainly fish after you can drive onto the ice a 20# tank is not that big of a deal but if there's a weight issue it's problably easiest to go with a or b for the time being
Same here. Maybe a 1lb as a backup.

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2008, 10:03 PM »
i use the 1 lb they are cheaper in a 2 pack at walmart and i rarely use more than two or three tanks

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2008, 10:19 PM »
I couldn't decide either.
I have used the wire stand Mr. heater w 1 pounders for 3 years and then bought the Buddy heater for this winter and then went ahead and bought the 1 lb refill adapter, thinking that was the way I was going to go this year,but I also heard many mixed reviews. So, I later decided, I already have a 20lb and a 5lb tank and yesterday I said heck w it and went ahead an bought the 5' hose for the 5lb or 20'. I will prob still use the refill on the 1 lbers once in a while. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2008, 06:34 AM »
if you use the 20 lb. bottle& hose, be sure to use the filter .you can buy from the mr. heater website.

HIMO
                                  IceShanty Moderator
Same here..Gander Mtn. also has the filters for $10 and a must! Spoke with a Mr. Heater rep. and said the larger tanks contain oil which will shorten life of heater.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DanAKAL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2008, 06:37 AM »
I'm buying some new 1 lb bottles that I will fill from a 20 lb.  I think I'll start using the Mr. Buddy filter when I fill the 1 lb.  I suppose it will screw onto the adapter and then onto the 1 lb bottle.
"Come With Me Little Girl On A Magic Carpet Ride"

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2008, 06:52 AM »
I like to use the 1 pound bottles on my big buddy heater till i can start driving on the ice with the truck then i switch over to the 20 pound tank with a filter never had a problem yet
Hard Ice

Offline mcanes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:09 AM »
Same here..Gander Mtn. also has the filters for $10 and a must! Spoke with a Mr. Heater rep. and said the larger tanks contain oil which will shorten life of heater.

This is true, I found out the hard way. Not only is the filter needed, but they also recommend that you shut the valve off first to let the propane in the line get burned out. I was told if this isn't done, it can eat up the inside of your hose and cause even more problems. 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:10 AM »
by use of the quick connect hose and the regulator all those problems are eliminated
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:12 AM »
This is true, I found out the hard way. Not only is the filter needed, but they also recommend that you shut the valve off first to let the propane in the line get burned out. I was told if this isn't done, it can eat up the inside of your hose and cause even more problems. 
I think that when you disconnect the hose, the propane in it will be dispelled.  Might as well burn it as throw it away I guess.
Is the oil in the tanks by design or is it part of the refill process?  Just wondering id anyone knows.

Offline markacruciani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2008, 10:29 PM »
Bigbuddies each have 11 lb with the 12 ft quick disconnect hose.  No filter required, has regulator.

Offline birddog_20

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2008, 10:43 PM »
by use of the quick connect hose and the regulator all those problems are eliminated
What does the regulator do exactly?

Offline markacruciani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2008, 12:14 AM »
Regulators keep the gas pressure consistent.   Normally most normalize to WC (Water column) 11
which seems to be the industry standard for low-pressure devices.

I'd guess without one you could see too much pressurized gas at the burner, think flame-thrower at
warmer temps.

You need some sort of regulator, if you use the 1 lb bottles the Buddies have built-in
regulators that you can see on each side (at least the BigBuddy does)

If you're going off an external LP tank, you need one somewhere in the path between the output and
the heater.  The 12ft quick-disconnect one mentioned here is a 1-stop solution without having to buy a regulator, hose
and filter as you'd need with some of the other external, Mr Heater options but is more money.
I just paid $35 for one for a second Big Buddy for the new fish house.   First bigbuddy went to the warming house on the skating rink (which happens to be two cheap 6x6 Cabelas fish houses side by side!)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:29 AM »
The Mr. Heater 12C (sunflower) has a built-in regulator...not sure 'bout the others.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline birddog_20

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2008, 09:45 AM »
I have a heater/cooker,a 5 pound tank,and a 10 foot hose.I don't have a regulator I'm wondering if this is something I should be getting or am I ok without it?

Offline markacruciani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2008, 11:30 AM »
Good point, we use 20lb cylinders with cookers for Scouts and there isn't a regulator
but those are open-flame devices with an inline valve to adjust the flow.  Too much gas
and you adjust it downward and two weeks later your eyebrows have grown back.

While no expert, it seems like you'd only need a regulator for things like heaters
with pilot lights that require fixed gas pressure.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2008, 11:46 AM »
I have a heater/cooker,a 5 pound tank,and a 10 foot hose.I don't have a regulator I'm wondering if this is something I should be getting or am I ok without it?

Every setup should use a regulator - here's why, I believe - the valve on a propane tank seals both closed and open all the way in both directions.  If you don't open the valve all the way you exposing the valve packing the the tank pressure and are subject to leaks at that area.  I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've seen that recommendation from a reliable source before - I'll have to research it.  Also, regulators attach directly to the valve, which keeps the tank pressure "off" the gas line; which may or may not be rated for the higher tank pressure.

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2008, 12:20 PM »
so if you have a regulator do you need the filter? And if you do need the filter how often should you change it.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2008, 12:23 PM »
Some believe there is oil in the larger tanks and thus the need for a filter.  I don't know if the oil is a part of the tank manufacturing process or if it is in some way part of bulk propane stores.  Or if it even exists - I've never seen any evidence of oil in any of my propane gas fixtures.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2008, 12:26 PM »
According to the Mr Heater website a low pressure regulator is built into the Buddy portable heater, so one on the hose is not necessary. I had to go look for myself as I am currently setting up mine with a bulk tank to eliminate the 1 lb cylinders. Just have to find the tank I want locally.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2008, 12:46 PM »
I refill my own 1lb cylinders. Some don't refill as full as when you buy them from the store but it still is alot cheaper than buying them.  I ususally refill them in the summer.  I set the full 20lber in the sun all day and put the 1lbers in the freezer.  I take them out of the freezer one at a time a refill them.  They usually fill really well, nice and full.  The other day I did go and buy the 12' quick disconnect hose with regualtor to  run my big Buddy heater off of the 20lber when I fish out of my permanent shack.  I only use the 1lbers when I fish out of my Fishtraps.  f-n-f

Offline markacruciani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Not sure why Mr. Heater put built-in regulators on two of the three gas attachment
points but they did (two 1lb connections and the quick-disconnect)

If you were to use their parts with a filter and attach to the 1lb
fittings you'll be fine since they're regulated.

If you use the quick-disconnect point, you've got to have a regulator upstream somewhere.
Their part, F271803 does it all for the quick-disconnect.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.