Author Topic: Fancy custom rods  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Fancy custom rods
« on: Dec 04, 2008, 11:16 AM »
Why?

I have a hard time believing a rod makes any difference  Ive had all types  currently I run 8 lb test on all my poles except a heavy duty pole I have  and that has 17 or more test  and 30 lb on mytipups  Ive actually caught more fish on an ol zebco than on anything else    a pole is just a stick with line attached to it  yea I have had the el cheapo plastic reels   dont last  some not even worth it  but a 50 buck rod for ice fishing   cant see it   I have a 150 buck fly rod  and then add the reel   I dont see it making me a better fisherman  Ive been known to bait that fly rod with a worm or minnow    so back to the question   why a custom rod?
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
Re: Fancy custom rods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2008, 11:21 AM »
I agree, sometimes I think we get caught up in the ol' keepin' up with the Jone's. BUT... Guilty as charged on most things. I have a $250.00 custom made catfishing rod that I haven't used yet because I haven't found the right place to use it. I've had it for two years. 

Offline flyman1002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2008, 11:26 AM »
I am a hardcore flyfisherman and can justify spending the money for a good rod.  But for ice fishing when you are dropping a jig down a hole....really???  If I spend 30.00 for a rod that is alot.   

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2008, 11:35 AM »
I use 4 rods I got from Jammin' Jigs 4 years ago on clearance for 5 bucks apiece. I think they are made by Bad Dog. I love them, and for $20.00 for the four of them, I have already gotten my moneys worth. I'd buy them again if they ever began selling rods again.

Offline something smells fishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2008, 11:41 AM »
I  was thinking the same thing  when I see post about  these crazy expensive ice rods, I have two 20 dollar rods and two 10 dollar rods but the one I never leave home with out is a Normark  jigging  rod that's older than  me and  will out perform  all the rest If I lay it down in the shack some one will always grab it up , fly rods ya 200$ not out of the question 100$ for a bass rod ya  but a 100$ on a ice rod not for me thanks I'm sure there nice  but after a bottle of Jack D on the ice  they all look the same  to me .

Offline juniatabassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2008, 11:46 AM »
that would suck to loose a rod that expensive thru the ice.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2008, 11:50 AM »
Im the same way,  I dont have a rod that cost over $20.00.   My wife would shoot me if layed down $100  for an ice rod.   I got enough money wrapped up in my soft water gear ;)

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2008, 11:57 AM »
I know a guy who makes custom rods. I used one of his rods last year for a few days. I really would like to purchase one, but they come with a pretty hefty price tag for something I can't use too often because of my location. The reason I want one is feel. The rod I used had great feel to it. I understood what I was feeling at the end of the line at all times. I don't always have that feeling. Could be insuficient time on the water with the other rods, but I don't think so. The minute I put the lure down, I knew what it was doing. It was a good action rod that gave me great feeling. Of course you can cut a tree branch, tie some line to it, and catch fish. But when you can feel everything that is going on, you will catch MORE fish.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2008, 12:10 PM »
I guess you could look at it another way and wonder why even bother with a fishing rod and reel at all if all you need is a hook and some string.
Why even spend money on expensive tip-ups?

After all, they are only fish  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2008, 12:22 PM »
I can see  how they feel  to you   but are you wearing gloves when you check out the rod?    and to toss in the ol bucket at the end of the day?  Granted I can see it is a nice thing to look at and thats the only way I can look at it   that fly rod that supposedly was 150 bucks (I didnt buy it I wanted the 30 buck kit) prob hasnt seen 40 times out   dont wanna break it lol maybe can sell it lol  original 20 yrs old still has original line on it!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2008, 12:24 PM »
i agree with you. i'm hard on my equipment, and don't want to worry about my rods all the time. that's why i like ugly stiks.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2008, 12:48 PM »
If you have confidence in the gear you are using, you are going to use it more and therefore probably have more success with that piece of gear whether it be a $10 rod or a more expensive one. We can make anything more complex or cost more then it has to if we want to.

If it feels good, do it  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2008, 01:24 PM »
as mentioned above....a high quality fly rod really does make the difference.  you are relying on the rod to throw your fly.  poor quality rods do not have the right action.  this is also applicable to standard casting on softwater.    as far as ice rods go, i agree.  it will not help you catch more fish, but it might make the fish more fun to fight if you have the added sensitivity and feel.
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2008, 01:43 PM »
Why?

I have a hard time believing a rod makes any difference  Ive had all types  currently I run 8 lb test on all my poles except a heavy duty pole I have  and that has 17 or more test  and 30 lb on mytipups  Ive actually caught more fish on an ol zebco than on anything else    a pole is just a stick with line attached to it  yea I have had the el cheapo plastic reels   dont last  some not even worth it  but a 50 buck rod for ice fishing   cant see it   I have a 150 buck fly rod  and then add the reel   I dont see it making me a better fisherman  Ive been known to bait that fly rod with a worm or minnow    so back to the question   why a custom rod?

You run 8 lb. test on all your rods?  Even for panfish?  I can see why you don't need a custom rod.  Seriously I think you would catch more fish and enjoy it more if you went down to 2 lb test and a UL rod. Not necessarily a custom rod but a cheap UL rod.  Maybe where you fish you don't need to do that but where I fish there would be a lot of times you couldn't catch anything on 8 lb test.  But at the same time, there are times when any lb test wouldn't matter and you could catch a limit anyway. Have a great day and enjoy that Icegator.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2008, 01:49 PM »
I dont "target" panfish so large line and large hooks alot save me from catching those bait stealers  lol   quantity  not quality   yard em in!

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2008, 01:56 PM »
I build my own ice rods.  I do it for a # of reasons.  I like them a little longer than what you get from a cheapo that you buy from one of the big sporting goods stores.  I also like a little more action (down to the handle) that what I've found.  I like large guides, hook keeper and a long handle.  I'm also cheap.  I can't see spending even $20 for a rod and can build them for <$10. 
I also build fly rods and open water spinning rods.
All that said, I love fishing with my custom rods because I've built them.  I think I can sense a bite better and play a fish better than with the rods that I've bought from the store.  I have broken one and it sucked like it cost $100 but it didn't.  It was ~$7 rod - my first one.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:00 PM »
making them yourself is a BIG + in my book :)

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:06 PM »
I only have one ice rod over $50 and that was $53. When you jig with light jigs the rod/reel can make all the difference. I have some rods that cost $9 up to $53 and they all work well. You want to talk about price vs performance look at tipups. I have 6 Frabill Artic Fire tipups I bought for $6.99 each several years ago. They do the same thing a $40+ jack Trap does. Jack traps are purty and last but they really don't perform any differently than much cheaper models. I prefer to put $$$ in a decent rod and reel rather than a tipup. Plus I jig the vast majority of the time. Tipups can really be an anchor when your trying to stay mobil.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:11 PM »
alas  Im not mobile    when I set up my otter village   Im pretty much there to stay  pop 2 holes inside  and then 4 outside for the tip ups    turn on the heat satallite radio (128 nascar) then its "crack a beer billy"!

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:18 PM »
 My lucky rod is a 36" ultra ultra light solid glass rod I bought for 5 bucks, but I mounted a 120 dollar reel with 11 ball bearings, 6 to 1 gear ratio, a drag as smooth as silk and 3 lb. test.  A lucky piece like that is priceless.  ;)
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline fishhead16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:26 PM »
I bought a St.Croix at the end of season last year for 25.00. Normally 50.00, I also have a couple of ice blues 10.00 and I wouldnt trade my ice blues for anything. I wish they had a cork handle though.
"TEAM STINKY PINKY"

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:28 PM »
fishhead, you could always cut off the sponge handles and get real nice cork ones with better seats. Very easy to do  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline fishhead16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:30 PM »
Who sells handles because Im real interested in that!!!! Thanks
"TEAM STINKY PINKY"

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:38 PM »
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..... ...................... ..........So let me get this straight, you will spend $600 for a shelter, $500 for a flasher and another $400 for a camera but $50-$75 for a well crafted custom rod NO WAY!!!!  TOO MUCH MONEY!!!!! I don't get it  ???
Custom rods are of better quality both in workmanship and materials and are more sensitive.
I'm biased as I build my own rods, but I learned long ago that customs far out perform factory built rods.
Last year I was looking for an extra heavy Laker rod for fishing fish that routinely get over 30#, guess what, they don't make one.
I guess I could buy the heaviest factory ice rod made (the only ones I could find were rated 10#-12#) but I'm sure these fish would kick my butt. I ended up cutting down a one piece saltwater blank to 36" and now have a rod that I can use 15# or more of drag to beat the big ones.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:42 PM »
Scott's Custom Rods, check out the NERBS (North Eastern Rod Builder Society) or something like that, or even check out rodbuilding.org. I got my handles from Greg's Bait Shack down south. They were made for a normal spinning rod and I took and tooled (sanded) them down to the size/fit I wanted.

DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2008, 03:39 PM »
It is all in the feeling.  I could catch just as many fish on a heavy action rod with a UL spring bobber as I can on my UL rod.  The difference is in the sensation.  Heavy rod I just lift the bluegill out without ever feeling it swim and flop it on the ice... UL I get to watch and feel the bend in the rod, maybe even take out a little drag.

I enjoy fishing with high-grade graphite rods because it connects me to the fish in an exciting way... the more action I feel through my rod with that fish on, the more excited I get.  I'll drop $200 on an open water rod or $100 on an ice rod and not think twice about it.

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2008, 03:46 PM »
My two favorite rods are my 10' Alstar Conventional and my 6' Batson Spinning.  Both are used for Striper fishing.  Custom rods make a huge difference when casting
, , ,

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2008, 04:06 PM »
I like it where I can feel a very light bite when jigging. Still looking for a good rod that is closer to my price range. I would say probably under the 20-25.00 range. I do have a rod that I do love that I got at a Garage sale a couple years ago for 6 bucks. Just looked it is a HT Artic Air, select graphite, 25" light. It has a partial cork handle. I am not to fond of the reel but it works for what I need it to.

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2008, 04:51 PM »
my 3 favorite rods - all made in house

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2008, 05:33 PM »
Who sells handles because Im real interested in that!!!! Thanks

Heres some Ice Blues rods I put some oak handles on. I cut of the old cork drilled a hole in the wood and epoxied the blank in after the wood was sanded and cleared. Have $9 in each rod total.(Excluding reels)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.