Author Topic: Something to think about  (Read 1853 times)

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Something to think about
« on: Dec 23, 2003, 06:35 PM »
Went to the Pet Store today. I was looking for freshwater shrimp to try for Perch bait. They did have them at .25 ea. A little to steep for my taste but as we were looking through some of the other fish foods I did find them in a freeze dried state. Also found Bloodworms and other interesting items. I got to thinking about chum and thought that this fish food might be the ticket to turn on the fish if it is slow, and I might try to hydrate some of the freeze dried food to use as bait itself. On the lakes I fish standard grubs minnows ect at times doesnt even get a look. I'm just looking for a little insite from anyone on this or even help a few who might have the same problem. Wadaya All Tink
Cold Feet

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re:Something to think about
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2003, 07:06 PM »
I tink ya needs some ice under foot!

Either that or organize a local chapter of Ice Fishers Anonymous and have a meeting...Ya need some therapy.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2003, 07:17 PM »
I think we need encouragement here...we obviously have someone who is thinking "outside the box"!!  I'd like to know how the experiment turns out.  

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2003, 07:46 PM »
Well, with Cold Feet it's more like enabling than encouraging. Believe me, we share the addiction. I'm sitting here next to my puter tying scuds in rainbow colors to try this season. Ever seen a red, white and blue scud? I've got scuds in  more colors than a punk rocker's hair.

It's a good idea. I was watching my son-in-law feeding his salt water aquarium fish a while back and thought of getting some frozen shrimp to chum for perch.....he beat me to it!

I don't even consider "The Box".
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2003, 03:19 AM »
Tony, I always liked that about fishing the Keys...you can fish all day ...go home and cook up the left over bait for a snack.

RG

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2003, 03:55 AM »
You guys should look into the grumpy old men shanty , under cheap fishfinder that works..... :D
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2003, 04:24 AM »
I found out either the fish are biteing or there not. If there not biteing there not hungry.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2003, 06:24 AM »
RG
Thanks for the compliment. When I get to thinking my brain waves get a little fuzzy. The wife looks at me like I'm nuts but she will not ever walk away from a fresh Perch dinner. I'm not that great at tyeing flys yet (been trying) to get a good scud pattern that will work. Maybe with this weather I should be practicing more. A Western NY chapter of Ice Fishers Anonymous might be needed to help with the nerves a little. Of course this is open to all new and former members.

TONY ON ICE
Thanks for the help I did find a few online and did not give up looking for them local Some of the companys won't ship during winter months because of the fear of them freezing. One other option is I did see them in a freeze dried state in WalMart stores sold by Uncle Josh. The Bloodworms got me really interested as the lake we fish has a heavy silt bottom and is loaded with them The Perch we bring up are regurgitating them as they flop on the ice. They are feeding but they seem to love these things better than anything we will give them. Oh yea a nice Freshwater Shrimp Scampy on Ice might be just what the doctor ordered.

Swalleyi
NEVER GIVE UP.  I dont truely believe if their not biteing their not hungery, 8 wks of trying and only a handfull of fish to show for it. they have to eat sometime and last yr on this lake we fish Mr Genz himself would shake his head at the fish. Their have been topics here about chumming with dogfood, catfood, eggshells and what ever. I'm not their to catch Dogfish, Catfish or Roosterfish I want Perch So why not try the obvious Fish Food? All this is ,is for fisherman to keep their mind open to change and try all the roads to catching fish
Thanks

Cold Feet

iceman670

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:14 AM »
Maybe this will help, I have fished Lake Michigan for Perch.
From Ice out to freeze up and last year on the ice in the harbors I tried
cook shrimp and raw shrimp cut into strips on jigs and also pieces on hooks. cooked worked better than raw most days and when it was slow for most I would get more action with bigger fish. Everybody thought I was NUTTS for useing cooked cocktail shrimp until they seen it working.
Worked for me last year will see about this year.

RonP

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:17 AM »
Cold Feet,
IM your address, I'll send a few along to you with tying instructions. Is there an Orvis store near you?  Their books are the top  of the line for easy to understand instructions. Maybe Santa can squeeze in a late Christmas Present?

RG

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:30 AM »
I like the idea.

I used to buy the cans of small shrimp in the store to use for catfish. Cans were like a buck or something. I winder if you could do this and cut them up and make them a little smaller?

Looks like I will have to try if we ever get ice?

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:42 AM »
Buckshot John
We used to use the canned shrimp for Bullheads in the spring when you couldnt get crayfish It worked good. Also used them for Perch in summer and would cut them up in little pieces and used them with a little 1" twister tail jig. This also worked good. The older I get the less the brain wants to remember the things we used to do yrs. back now some of this is starting to come back to me.
Cold Feet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.