Author Topic: Depth FInder ?  (Read 2173 times)

Offline racepoint

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Depth FInder ?
« on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:25 PM »
Hey Folks, anyone here know of a good , portable, and not too expensive depth finder that shoots through the ice?  Everyone's input would be appreciated.  I've got plenty of lake maps but this would help me alot when visiting new fishing spots and would eliminate all those holes I have to drill to use my Vexilar.
Hey Jake!  Flag Up !!  (LMAO)

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Re:Depth FInder ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:32 PM »
Look at a polar vision from Strikemaster. I use one, works great. It uses 2 9 volts, but mine is an older version, the new one now only uses one 9 volt, and now gives you air & water temps. It also alot smaller than it used to be. (about the size & shape of a large flashlight)You basically wet the surface of the ice, and couple it to the surface, and shoot. It will also flash back depth of fish, if they are present, I think the unit costs about $120. Vexilar, and I think Marcum make similar units. Or you can do what i mostly do now, is use a gas auger a cut holes everywhere, lol.

Offline racepoint

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:49 PM »
Look at a polar vision from Strikemaster. I use one, works great. It uses 2 9 volts, but mine is an older version, the new one now only uses one 9 volt, and now gives you air & water temps. It also alot smaller than it used to be. (about the size & shape of a large flashlight)You basically wet the surface of the ice, and couple it to the surface, and shoot. It will also flash back depth of fish, if they are present, I think the unit costs about $120. Vexilar, and I think Marcum make similar units. Or you can do what i mostly do now, is use a gas auger a cut holes everywhere, lol.

Thanks for the help..... Went to bobbershopfishing.com and ordered one for 119.95 with free shipping.  Hope I can help others like you did me....... in the future.  Just love this site !!  Have a safe and exciting fishing season this winter and Happy Holidays to ya from "racepoint"!!
Hey Jake!  Flag Up !!  (LMAO)

P Gottshall

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2003, 06:39 PM »
Actually, about any depth finder will shoot through the ice.  The only one I've had any trouble with was because the bottom of the transducer was rounded, & wouldn't make good consistent contact.

The trick is to get "good contact".  I do this by carrying a jug of salt-water, pouring a little on the ice, & set the transduer right on it.  Water will work, but can freeze, thus salt-water.

It works great.  I'm sure isn't as handy as one of those flashlight type finders, but is about $120 cheaper.

Paul

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.