Author Topic: Rookie Icefisherman  (Read 1722 times)

FishCrazy14

Rookie Icefisherman
« on: Dec 19, 2003, 08:26 PM »
Hey guys, Rookie here. Been fishing on open water for a while but at 17 years old, I decided it was time to see what all the hype is about. So, I'm lloking for any advice you guys can give me about getting started. Also, If you have any unwanted gear that I could have/buy that'd be great! Wish me Luck!

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Rookie Icefisherman
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2003, 08:56 PM »
Welcome aboard! Just remember, in a few years you're gonna stop in your tracks in the middle of a September afternoon and when someone asks you what you're doin you're gonna reply "Can you hear that? The lakes are makin ice."
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

NAD42

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2003, 09:06 PM »
Rookie Rule #1: go with a vet....we were all rookies once....but remember, do as he says, not as he does.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2003, 05:45 AM »
FishCrazy14,
You should spend some time in the Ice Shanty Tips area of this site.. There's a ton of information here.

Another good idea is to find a "Grumpy Old Man" to fish with. Nothing like learning from a pro!

Welcome aboard.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2003, 07:19 AM »
I agree with rgfxt......Think safety first and don't venture out alone. I can't stress that enough. It's a fun sport but can be dangerous even deadly. Know where your fishing and know the lake, you can never be too safe especially during first ice. A grumpy ole' man (or a Goatboy... ;)) is the way to go, loaded with experience and can tell you all the tricks!!!Good luck and let us know how you make out.
There are some relatively cheap tip-ups for about $8 apiece out there (and they are pretty nice too). Start with a few of those and work your way up. You don't need the best gear to have fun or catch fish!!!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2003, 07:34 AM »
 Go with an expert,I would if given a chance. Best advice I ever got about tip-ups is drop your bait to the bottom and pull it up 18-24 inches.And if you fish soft water you already know structures the ticket most of the time.Good Luck!!
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2003, 07:40 AM »
Good choice! I've been fishing most of my 52 years, but didn't start ice fishing until a friend took me about 16 years ago. I can say it's helped improve my open-water technique as well, because I've learned to better visualize what's happening down there. My advice is to start simple, but use quality equipment. A sensitive panfish rod, and a heavier rod for larger gamefish, should get you started and won't break the bank. A reel with a good drag is essential. If you're already using a good quality line like Trilene XL that should do fine, I've used 4# with good results. Once you get a few ice hours you'll find out what you'll need to do to refine your technique and equipment for the quarry you're after. Electronics, shelters, etc., are not immediate essentials but something to think about according to your needs. You'll find that hardwater anglers are generally friendly and willing to share their experience. Observe, ask questions, and do what you see the successful fishermen doing.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2003, 07:57 AM »
Being mobile and willing to move and move often can be a big help.Don't stay in the same holes if you are not catching fish,move,change colors,try different tactics,different depths,change presentation..just my .02

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.