Author Topic: Genz Jigs  (Read 4483 times)

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Genz Jigs
« on: Dec 16, 2003, 12:44 PM »
Which ones do you use? Fat boy, Genz worm,etc. How do you like them?  My buddy swears by the "snow man" jig for the crappie bite!
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

trapdaddy21

Re:Genz Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2003, 12:57 PM »
i personally think that the genz baits are overrated. while they are pretty good baits, i think that they are a pricey compared to other baits that do the same thing. i think they are too big most of the time for crappies and way to big for gills.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2003, 01:21 PM »
I absolutely love the Genz Worm. I feel they were the main reason I caught so many jumbo (1#+) perch last winter.
Pete Lewis

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2003, 01:29 PM »
I agree with Trapdaddy as a bait for panfish. Too heavy for lightline fishing. But for perch fishing deep they work well for me. (two cents and where's the ice?)
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline Icehunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice is Hot
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2003, 01:45 PM »
Use them (fatboy) alot for crappies with wax worms and like the results.  I will be trying the frostee for sunnies this winter.

Fish, friends and beer, it does'nt get anty better!!

icefishnfool

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2003, 06:57 PM »
I have a bunch of kits for  sale in the classifieds....if anybod is interested in trying some

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2003, 05:06 AM »
They are TOP baits. ;) They are not overrated in my book at all. You have to size up and size down as needed. Change colors. You must stay mobile and vary your presentations. Alot of people tend not to do this and it hurts their success. I learned that from my fishin bro FAT BOY on more then 1 occasion. I am a little one sided as you can see and tell but I have done so well on his lures they are nothing short of phenominal 8) I could never begin to express the luck I have on them. :'( :'( :'(

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2003, 09:28 AM »
Big and klunky is what I'd call them.  They would scare the fish around here. I've almost always found smaller is better.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2003, 10:47 AM »
I find the hooks a bit weak. :o :o :o No I don't horse my fish in. They seem to get a bit weak and bend out after a few fish. I fish for bigger than average fish (10 plus lbs) with some of these. I know they are probably not designed for them but when the fishing got hard they were the only small jigs I had in my box. I now stock my box with better quality jigs ie: Marmish.
A little more $$$ but worth every penny if you happen to luck out and get to fight a monster. I caught a 23lb laker on a little marmish larvae. Took me a little while to get him in but they were biting on nothing else. Hook is still good and strong.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2003, 12:53 PM »
My experince has been the smaller (microsized) jig tend to catch micro sized fish. I rarely fish an ice jig thats lighter than 1/32. On occasion if fish are real fickle I then i might go super light. They do make some pretty small genz jigs, but the reason they arent micro scopic sized, is because they are intended to be sonar friendly (shows up better on your unit).

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2003, 05:41 PM »
every infisherman perch i have caught through the ice has been on a fat boy or pounder!
BUD

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2003, 03:37 AM »
I have never caught a 10lbs + fish on one of them. If I do I will have to post at a later date. I just looked at the marmish jigs and they look pretty cool. Very interesting rod also. I target mainly pig perch and slab crappie. Believe it or not genzlurz do pretty daggone good on trout in the 1 to 5 lbs range. They are the best jigs I have ever used for big panfish. The only other jig that does really well for me is the marmooska. FDC also brought up a good point about showing up on the sonar :'( They are pretty sonar friendly.    

DipLip

« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2003, 07:21 AM »
Love 'em. They fish small, but fish heavy. I don't fish bluegill, but can see how some would find them a little on the bulky side for 'gills. Perch, crappies and cisco love them on Georgian Bay. I've also fluked into lakers (up to 13#) and pike (up to 10#) on these little guys. Like chart/orange for pannies and pink/wht for cisco.

I'd agree 100% that they could upsize the hook a 1/2 size or so. We tip with whole pinheads, parts of pinheads (tail, head, chunk of flesh) or perch eyes.  

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2003, 10:18 AM »
Last year I posted a topic about genz worms. I had 2 of my 4  jigs eyes snap off the hook. I was surprised to see how many guys had this same thing happen. :o Where are you guys now??  ??? I have never had that happen to me with any other jig. I think if the hooks were not so cheap I would like them but until they do something about those hooks I will not use anymore.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2003, 10:33 AM »
Bussman, I also had a few hooks break off last year, but that was only after I caught a good number of large perch. For me, that's a small price to pay for what I consider my go to perch lure.
Pete Lewis

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2003, 12:24 PM »
I hear ya Bussman. I did have a few hooks break. But mostly hooks being bent straight after a long battle which ended by loosing the fish. After they are bent you may as well throw them in the garbage. ;)

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2003, 05:53 PM »
hmmm never had a problem and use them almost exclusively.  you guys use drag or back reel.  i do neither as i use one of the lil baitcaster type reels.  i keep it loose and when they need drag i just feather it with my thumb.  i fish for maily perch when jiggin.
BUD

Offline Lonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2003, 09:06 PM »
I just started using the the Genz lures last year and had some luck.  But I was wanting to know if you guys could tell me which lure would be best for bluegils?

Thanks for all help, Lonzo

Offline jamiehughes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • open water sucks!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2003, 09:11 PM »
I think that if you just catch fish that rarely get to a pound you will have no problem. we catch a lot of trout out here in colorado on them but if its much bigger that a pound they just bend the hook all over the place. I actually don't really like to use them anymore because I have lost to many fish and loosening up the drag doesnt seem to help much ,maybe trout have really hard mouths? If they made them with better hooks i would be all over them as they really can catch fish. maybe they should try some gamakatsu hooks. these are what i use with my tube jigs and i've yet to have a hook fail. even the 1/32 hooks are really strong :o

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2003, 09:22 PM »
I don't understand the idea of drag problems when it comes to breaking hooks? ??? If the 2# test line doesn't break I would think the hook shouldn't. I almost never have line breaks.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2003, 09:39 PM »
I received a bunch of Genz worms, fatboys and frostees a few weeks back...  It seems they are using stronger hooks now as opposed to previous years as these new ones don't bend nearly as easy...

I love the Genz jigs by the way....account for a lot of my perch.  True they are a little on the large side if fishing over ultra finnicky perch, but absolutely nail em otherwise...

jiggaFL-18

« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2003, 07:53 AM »
 :-\  well guys i have to say i beleive they strengthen the hook this year over previous ones..i  dont agree with the size if u dont like them big i use either size 8 or 10  keep both  jigs in both sizes in abudance.......remeber save a tree eat a beaver!

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2003, 04:47 AM »
You can eat beaver  ??? Well not that beaver I mean the animal or wildlife well hmmmmm yea the one with the paddle tail. ;D ;D ;D  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.