Author Topic: dead fish on the ice  (Read 10836 times)

Offline FingerLakesFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
dead fish on the ice
« on: Dec 02, 2003, 11:47 AM »
Can someone please tell me what the point of leaving small perch/blugills on the ice instead of putting them down the hole is.  Every year this pi**es me off.  I walk out onto the ice early in the morning to stumble upon holes surrounded by small fish, sometimes pickerel that someone didn't put down the hole.   Do they really bite your hook over and over again???   I once asked a game warden and he said that he couldn't do anything unless the number left on the ice and the number of fish the person had was over the limit.  I want to go over to these people and hit them upside their heads with my gaf >:(

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:dead fish on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2003, 01:58 PM »
Here in Minnesota we have a law against wasting wild game. I believe they call it "wanton waste" or something like that.

It doesn't matter if it is part of their limit or not it is against the law here to leave them on the ice. I would guess they would have to catch you leaving them. You could have them lying on the ice while you fished. You just couldn't leave them laying there when you left.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2003, 02:09 PM »
  What a waste of a resourse. The nuns in school would have cracked my knuckles and given a lecture about children starving in China. ::)
   If your not going to eat them put them back. No, the sea gulls will not eat them.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2003, 02:24 PM »
Seagulls might not but around here the crows and eagles will.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2003, 02:47 PM »
Unfortunately it has been going on for years. Once, in my younger days, my friend and I watched two guys work about a dozen holes and iced close to 70 crappie, then they just left. Well, the fish didn't go to waste and we ate fresh fish for dinner that night, but I'll never figure out what they were thinking.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2003, 02:47 PM »
When we go fishing if we catch shorts we put them back, but if you are fishing in deep water not all of them live.  You can’t have them floating around your hole so we put them on the ice.  The number of dead fish rarely gets excessive for us.  How many are you talking about?
Follow the bubbles...

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2003, 03:00 PM »
a couple of years ago, i met a seasoned ice fisherman who commented on all the burbot that are thrown on the ice (even our natural resource officers dont say anything). his friend would stack them up like cordwood and occasionally have a pee on them.heh heh--but this fellow really likes to eat them. we have regs that specifically ticket you for disposing of fish on the lake or shoreline.dont understand idiots doing this. ::) ::) ::)

missfishylicious

« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2003, 04:25 PM »
Some people just are'nt worth the space they take up  ::) :-\ :(

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2003, 05:01 PM »
i have been told by pond owners..... absolutely do not throw blue gill back in the pond because it is so over populated with little bluegill that it isn't worth your time fishing it . after a few years of doing this the bluegill in
this  pond are some of the biggest i've ever caught. so i
guess it all depends on the specific case . and the eagles do eat them ...i've seen it .i would rather feed the eagles dead fish then to have them eating deer guts that have lead in them.

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2003, 05:40 PM »
I agree with John_Boy We did it ourselves many years ago. It was one of the best pan fish lakes I ever fished. Besides the critters got to eat also.
Always keep your line wet!

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2003, 06:03 PM »
I have been a party to this as well.  But only on private pond were the owner said to do it because of the over population of gills.  But that is the only way I would leave fish on the ice, and I still felt a littel strange about doing it. :-\

Carp

NAD42

« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2003, 06:41 PM »
 What a waste of a resourse. The nuns in school would have cracked my knuckles and given a lecture about children starving in China. ::)
   If your not going to eat them put them back. No, the sea gulls will not eat them.
The seagulls on Lake George seem to like them...ALOT!!....but it does P*** me off to see them thrown all over the ice.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2003, 07:54 PM »
Those people should have there kneecaps smashed in! Bad example to the sport.

Limiter

« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2003, 09:00 PM »
It's against the law in Ontario to waste any fish if it can be consumed. These guys need attitude adjustment big time. :'(

ice fishing fool

« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2003, 06:14 AM »
My uncle sells aerators and fish, and etc for ponds and the best fishing occurs on ponds that had too many small bass that thin the small gills but leaves some jumbo gills.  Too many small gills will stunt a pond (not enough forage) and they will never get big unless there're thinned either by fish or fisherman.  Leaving them on the ice might not be the politically right thing to do but don't always rush to judgement. I eat what I catch and don't litter the ice with fish or trash but if a pond has too many small stunted ones I wouldn't rush to judgement. Jeff

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2003, 06:33 AM »
Cleaning out a pond of small stunted fish is fine But take them home don't leave the dead fish lay on the ice. I've seen it all too much and it realy ticks me off. I'll take the small fish home and make a poor mans lobster out of them. Most of this I've seen is from slobs that leave all sorts of crap out their like old used up propane cyl. and their food wrappers ect. Like FishDeep Creek said break their kneecaps Only I'd break their arms so they couldnt fish for a while.
KEEP THE ICE CLEAN
Cold Feet

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2003, 06:36 AM »
My question is while on a small pond and your only catching dinks do you figure thats the pond is stunted and leave them on the ice? Who makes that call? I understand private pond needing to be thinned but I have seen this on large lakes and river setbacks. I have asked guys why there doing that and they say "to many little ones". I don't buy it.
another good one is "thats a trash fish"! Again WHO MAKES THAT CALL?

Not to get off subject but what about deer? I find them laying around all over my place during and after the season. It really pi$$es me off. Alot of guys empty there guns at running deer and then say they must have missed. That pi$$es me off too.

BTW New York does have a law about wasting game. It hardly ever enforced. Maybe Jud Peck could fill us in on the details?

George

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2003, 07:02 AM »
Believe it or not burbot don't taste bad, just like catfish.  I take my kids to Caz Lake, just because of the numbers of fish that they can catch.  I don’t think that they caught a fish over 6 inches all last season.  But when two or three die out of 200, I do not think that you are being wasteful by leaving them on the ice.  The animals do eat them.  I've seen mink, crows, and had sea gulls walk right up to our holes and take them.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline FingerLakesFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2003, 07:56 AM »
I was refering to perch mostly, and the body of water is Sodus Bay off of Lake Ontario, so we are not talking about a small pond where you might be trying to weed out the little fish.  It just always ticked me off.  Seemed like such a waste of resources.  

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2003, 10:09 AM »
This is one of my pet peeves!  ALL big fish were LITTLE fish once!  The idiots that throw the little ones all over the ice will be complaning in 2-3 years that there are no big one (DUH)!  As for small ponds thinning out the stunted fish is the pond owners option to do or not.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2003, 08:42 PM »
  I dont understand that either. Last year I complained to a fisherman that was leaving, he had a pretty good size pile of small perch. This is on a large lake (Houghton Lake in Mich). He say he was thinning them out, I said the pike do a pretty good job if you let them.
   As far as bubot, my neighbor brought some over last year that he caught on the ice, pretty ugly fish, but he had be boil them like lobster, then dip them in melted butter, they tasted just like lobster. I put some cooked ones in the frig, then dipped them in shrimp sause, they tasted like shrimp. I got a lot of respect for that fish now. They taste great!

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2003, 05:03 AM »
I wouldnt complain about catch eelpouts, they look like alot of fun to catch! Wish we had them in Maryland. Ive heard they are good eating.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Terribly Wasteful and Disrespectful
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2003, 10:48 PM »
I hate seeing fish wasted and overharvested. I do agree that many fish are overpopulated, notably panfish. But if you choose to kill them do not leave them on the ice and waste them.
Anglers generally are far better at managing fisheries than fisheries agencies. Here in Colorado, our division of wildlife does not even really know the habits of fish in certain lakes, nor even what fish exist where.
It's not hard to tell if a lake has too many of one kind of fish, but if you do your part to thin them out, don't leave them on the ice. I suggest grinding them up and making a chum out of them. If chumming is illegal in your state, just make sure you don't get caught, or put it in a retrievable bag.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2003, 10:25 AM »
Hi Gang!

The left over fish feed the racoons possium and crows hawks and turkey vulchers.
  In the ponds I fish I usually leave about twenty of the Tiny gills for preditors.  In many of the ponds i fish the gill dont get fished out enough so I thin them out every winter anything over 4" goes home with me I usually take ten small ones home and grind them up for chum.
  It doesnt hurt anything to leave a few under 20 dead fish on the ice. In a few days they will be dissapear.
  Da-Roc

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2003, 07:14 PM »
I could see how people could thin out bluegill and perch in overpopulated ponds, but i hear that people do that with burbot as well.  burbot stock take a long time to recover, and they aren't the hardest fish to get to bite.  so leaving out on the ice and wasting them is destroying the stock for the lake, even a big lake.  but blue gills and perch come back quickly if overharvested.  if your not going to keep your burbot let them go because there is somebody out there who wants to catch them.  They are growing in popularity.

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2003, 09:50 AM »
Do Burbot Taste good?  And, This fish looks like what we call here in the Mid-west a Dog Fish.  Are they one and the Same?  If so, We were always told Don't eat them, they have too many bones, don't taste good, and they are a garbage fish.   Just wondering if they are the same species?
Carp

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2003, 09:51 AM »
Hi Gang!
   I have a question!  Do all fish explode inside when you bring them up from depths  over 30 feet?
    Da-Roc
Maybe they are leaving the burbots there cause they will die anyway?  I do that to gobys tho every one I catch I kill.

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2003, 09:57 AM »
You are supposed to kill the goobies.  The Indiana DNR Regulations tell you to kill any Non-native nuisance species, but I don't think Burbot fall into that category.
Carp

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2003, 10:03 AM »
Hey Carp!
  Maybe by this weekend we'll be on the ice it is suppose to get real cold friand sat.  Are burbot just carp??  Or another species?  Never heard of them?
   Da-Roc

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2003, 10:26 AM »
Burbot are not carp or dogfish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.