Author Topic: Dewalt DCD792 D2 20V Max XR enough for auger?  (Read 4470 times)

Offline Moonglum

• IceShanty Rookie
Dewalt DCD792 D2 20V Max XR enough for auger?
« on: Oct 18, 2018, 08:47 AM »
Hi folks, now that the temps are starting to get cooler I'm thinking about this year's ice fishing season.  I have a birthday coming up, so thought I might ask for a power drill to use on my hand auger.  I'm not as fit as I was 20+ years ago, and using the hand auger through thick ice makes me think my heart is going to explode after a while.  I don't have a decent cordless drill for home use, much less for powering my 7-inch auger (a lazer, I think).  I mostly fish with just tip-ups, and don't move around a lot once I'm set up for the day.  So usually I may only drill 9 holes, maybe 12 max per day. 

Do you think the Dewalt DCD796D2 20V Max will be enough?  The link to the drill on Amazon is here.  I've searched other threads, and it appears that Milwaukee and Rigid are some highly recommended drills on Ice Shanty, but they're significantly more expensive than this Dewalt.  And since I'm only doing a max of 12 holes per day with my 7 inch auger, I'd prefer to go with a good quality, but less expensive unit, such as this Dewalt if it will still be adequate.  I think I read on another thread that the Milwaukee or Rigid drills can do something like 60 holes a day, and that's way more than I need.  Also, does anyone know where I can find an drill adapter with a plate that would work with a 7 inch auger?

Thanks for any advice!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0183RLWFS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Dewalt DCD792 D2 20V Max XR enough for auger?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2018, 08:59 AM »
You can get a fuel with 2 batts and charger for like $235.   ??? ???
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Moonglum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:10 AM »
Thanks Slayer, is this what you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2704-22-Hammer-Drill-Driver/dp/B017RAN84A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1539871641&sr=8-4&keywords=milwaukee+fuel+drill

This IS much less than what I saw yesterday, not sure how I missed this one.  I think all the ones I saw yesterday were north of $300.  this one, while more than the Dewalt, is not too significantly more expensive.  I know very little about power tools.  Is this one preferable to the Dewalt then?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:19 AM »
Dewalt 991/996 are your go to ...Milwaukee  2703/2704 as these are coming down in price with a new model being introduced.... a 4 ah battery or better ...if you go with a "picture" hanging drill it can work but most likely will eventually fail...been there done that ...are you referring to the Clam Plate as to your needed drill adapyet ...most retailers will be stocking them soon ..this years retail on that appears to be $80.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/compare?category=Drills&sku1=DCD997B&sku2=DCD996B&sku3=DCD991B
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Moonglum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:28 AM »
Thanks Hardwater Diehard, regarding the plate I was referring to, I mean something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Ice-Auger-Cordless-Adapter-Fishing/dp/B004C75G2O

If I get a Clam Plate instead, will that prevent the auger from dropping in the water if the bit gets loose?  I've only ever used a hand auger, so don't know much about this stuff.

Sounds like the Milwaukee I linked above would work then. :)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2018, 10:44 AM »
I prefer one that can has an adjustable height..easy on the back ...just add a bucket lid or frisbee and make your own anti-into the drink device .

I have this one...they may not make them anymore ...StrikeMaster makes a short adapter and a flange that attaches to it ...check their site.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/657283-hi-tech-fishing-12-power-ice-auger-adapter-shaft.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2018, 11:15 AM »
if your still shopping. here is the strongest drill on the market and for free. 1300 inch pounds. 200$ 9 amp battery sold separately.best warranty on the market as well. life time.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=360326.msg3859012#msg3859012

i use kovac icemaster 2 for adapter. uses a small disc and bungee system. saved my bits plenty of times.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Thanks Slayer, is this what you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2704-22-Hammer-Drill-Driver/dp/B017RAN84A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1539871641&sr=8-4&keywords=milwaukee+fuel+drill

Thats it. You cant go wrong. Cant go wrong with a Clam plate. Nothing will fall thru the hole. Here's what you want:

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2018, 11:32 AM »
if your still shopping. here is the strongest drill on the market and for free. 1300 inch pounds. 200$ 9 amp battery sold separately.best warranty on the market as well. life time.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=360326.msg3859012#msg3859012

i use kovac icemaster 2 for adapter. use a small disc and bungee system. saved my bits plenty of times.

X2 was just about to post this 3300..

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2018, 11:37 AM »
i hear ya chilly, it's the best deal on the planet. it will end at the end of this month tho.

Offline Moonglum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2018, 11:46 AM »
awesome, thanks guys.  3300 and Chili-Willy, thanks for the info about the Rigid deal at Home Depot.  Can that bare tool also serve as a normal power drill?  All I'm seeing is that it's an impact wrench.  I'm hoping to use the drill I use for ice fishing for around-the-house drill related tasks, such as screwing down look deck boards and what not.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2018, 11:54 AM »
awesome, thanks guys.  3300 and Chili-Willy, thanks for the info about the Rigid deal at Home Depot.  Can that bare tool also serve as a normal power drill?  All I'm seeing is that it's an impact wrench.  I'm hoping to use the drill I use for ice fishing for around-the-house drill related tasks, such as screwing down look deck boards and what not.

3300 should know he called customer services and ordered it and they sent him a gift card for the drill difference.. he know more about this then me cause I did it differently..  I bought it earlier yhen bought the 1/2 impact cause I could use it any how.. but if just buying a new hammer drill I would do it the way 3300 would..

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2018, 12:12 PM »

I did the Ridgid drill that was talked about by 3300 and chilly.  What I did was talked with customer service online and they issued me a $150 gift card to purchase the drill in store (as they weren't available online) and I ordered the 9ah kit online.  Got the gift card instantly as it was an electronic one so I printed it out and went to store and picked it up.

It will work as a screw driver, standard drill and hammer drill.  Has the switch to flip between modes.  I just bought the hammer drill because of the force it would exert.  What I decided to do was mount it on a Clam plate, as I bought a 7" hand auger to run.  I would very much recommend this route if you are ok spending the extra money on the plate.  A lot more stable and you will have a lot more leverage on it if it were to grab when drilling.  Here it is mounted to the clam plate.  Plus it has a LIFETIME warranty on the drill and the battery, so no matter how you look at it, it will have plenty of power to potentially run a 10" auger bit on it down the road.  My LSA is still being reviewed, but not sure why they would deny it.

Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2018, 12:13 PM »
getting ready to leave so late response.
ridgid is offering many tools in their free tool offer with purchase of that 9 amp battery and charger kit. it has bluetooth in it so you can do many extras now with you couldn't do before.
one of the many tools is their brand new not finished stocking well 1300 inch pound drill. look for that number on hd's site to confirm, but it's true. then buy the battery online and then buy the drill in store. do a search on hd's site to find the closet hd that has one in stock. you may have a drive to get it tho. also call them before going to pick it up and pay for it there or tell them its free with the purchase of the battery kit. just take the battery receipt with you to get the tool for free. you may have to argue with the staff if they don't know their job. request a manager if that happens.

the drill has 3 modes , hammer, drill and screw modes. the 9amp battery is heavy and heavy duty. you shouldn't need more than one for ice fishing.

every thing will have a life time warranty after you register (online) the serial numbers on each piece with them. if you want to be able to hand it down, use whom ever's name you want to hand it down to while registering.

Offline Moonglum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2018, 12:19 PM »
Awesome, thanks 3300 and all!  Gonna pull the trigger on the Rigid items, and going to get the Clam plate too. The wife is going to be much happier now when I make her drill the holes! ;D

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2018, 12:28 PM »

Offline Moonglum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 19, 2018, 07:29 AM »
Thanks again for all the help, folks.  Many of my local Home Depo's showed inventory for the drill yesterday , but when I went to order it for "Ship to Store", suddenly there were no stores within a 100 miles with the drill.  So I drove to one of my local HD stores and, after an hour, they figured out how to make it work.  It took a call to someone at the web-based business, some waiting, some more waiting, then a drive to a different local HD store to actually pick up the drill.  Supposedly the battery pack will be delivered to that same store on Sunday for me to pick up.  While I'm not holding my breath, I am hopeful that I'll actually receive the sale items.  It sure did seem to me like they were trying very hard not to honor this sale.  Fingers are crossed!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Oct 19, 2018, 09:17 AM »
right now it is a bit of a hassle to get them as the drill is just starting out. they call it "review" with "no landing" for inventory in store to keep the inventory to find/sell it. the online buying option helps locate stock and a hd phone number so you can call ahead and get your name put on one closest to you. then you buy the battery while online and take the receipt to the hd that has one with your name on it and your done with the buying end of it. as soon as you get them go online to register all three tools (battery, charger and drill). seems weird they honor their life time warranty of a free tool doesn't it?
both companies are great to deal with. fwiw, hd has a hassle free 90 day no questions ask return policy. they do ask if the item works is all.

it will be worth the wait. and its a one and done deal. never have to buy any of it ever again.

Offline Moonglum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Oct 19, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Sounds awesome and totally worth the effort.  the drill itself, which I picked up yesterday, certainly seems impressive to this newb.  Thanks so much 3300.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2018, 09:43 AM »
your welcome, glad we all could help!

if your new to cutting ice with a drill, a clam plate might be a consideration next. i'm going to experiment with using the clutch on it on the highest setting to see if it can handle large bits like an auger or not. 1300 inch pounds is no joke and can cause harm if not careful. i'm stepping up from a 780 inch pound ridgid drill. the drill never stopped so it had enough power for a 6" lazer.
if your not worried about needing more help holding it, then an adapter is your next purchase. i like the kovac 2 icemaster adapter. it uses a bungee system that slips over the heel of the drill. it saved my bits many times. i use menards bags over the drill to protect against the elements.

i think maybe a common mistake is using one hand to clear out an slightly frozen hole hole or to remove slush from it. ALWAYS use two hands please. also, if using the auxiliary handle instead of the clam plate, try keeping that handle  next to your outside of your person so if the drill gets stuck (kicks) that handle will keep it from twisting around and hurt your wrists. just let that handle ride down against you as you drill. use speed 1 on screw mode if it can handle it or drill mode with no hammer option turned on.

Offline Moonglum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2018, 01:12 PM »
those sound liek great tips, 3300, and yes I DO indeed plan on getting the Clam plate now that I have a drill decent enough to cut through ice.  I definitely plan on starting the drill out slow so i don't do any damage to anything (body or equipment).  Now if only the ice would get here! :)  And the advice is much appreciated!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.