so is that a yes or no?
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Re: Ice
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:13 PM »
 it may happen in west virginia, but maryland? very rarely, if ever.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2008, 02:48 PM »
it may happen in west virginia, but maryland? very rarely, if ever.

Quite the contrary.  Western Maryland lakes ice up each year and ice fishing is quite popular there.  Also, during most years, areas along the PA border ice up with fishable ice through mid winter.  In some years the lakes in Central Maryland and the Eastern Shore ponds ice up enough to safely fish, but it's been several years now since that's happened.  Check out the Maryland ice fishing report archive, there are lots of pics in there.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2008, 07:48 PM »
well, i wondered after posting. although you don't get the lows we get here, the western border could get ice. i am 30 miles northwest of the ocean, and that's too close alot of years! how much ice do you get on a cold (good!) year?
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline jdisci

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The snack that smiles back, goldfish"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Yeah, how much do you get? I'm moving to W.Va after X-Mas and looking forward to some icefishing this season. Hows the ice around central W.Va on a good winter?

"Like minnows in a bucket..."
Joe

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2008, 10:14 AM »
I've fished through 6-8" of good, solid ice in Montgomery County, Maryland.  That's less than an hour ouside DC.  It's not every year, but there is potential ;D

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2008, 04:24 PM »
Yeah, how much do you get? I'm moving to W.Va after X-Mas and looking forward to some icefishing this season. Hows the ice around central W.Va on a good winter?

I'm from the Beckley area, I've only been ice fishing a few years, I mostly go to Deep Creek Lake, last year we was lucky to find 6-7" of ice there, the year before we was on 16+" in a few places. I have run into a few people who do ice fish around here. They hit Little Beaver State Park near Beaver and Summit Lake near Richwood. Ice can be iffy at LBSP but they say Summit is almost always fishable by January.  :-\ I'm hoping for a week or two of nighttime temp's in the single digits by the end of December. I'm going to check a few local lakes (Plum Orchard and Stephens Lake) if the temps get right.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.