Author Topic: ICE? and Greenbriar Water level  (Read 1485 times)

Offline West by Virginia

• IceShanty Rookie
ICE? and Greenbriar Water level
« on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:57 AM »
I stopped by Greenbriar on the way home last night to check the ice.   I forgot they lock the gate at sundown.  I see on the web page that you can be in the park after closing for some activities.  Does anyone know if that includes fishing?  I recall that one of the park rangers was not very enthusiastic about ice fishing several years ago, but the MD DNR guys who came out to check licenses were nice. 

I also see that Greenbriar has dropped the water level by 6 feet to work on the boat launch, with a completion target of February.  That will change the ice fishing hot spots a little.  Any thoughts from anyone on this board?

Offline REB9

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ICE? and Greenbriar Water level
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Park guys like to close the gates at dark.  U can fish till they come check on u........  Never had problems with them, but never took advantage of them either.  6 feet low will change things.  My guess is the ice has started, but she won't be safe yet....  Need a few more cold days....

REB9

Offline REB9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2013, 11:05 AM »
Stopped by just now.  Bout one inch of ice, couple open areas.  Draw down is a fact. Water starts at the boat livery just off the beach.   Sure don't see the lake being fish able in the next week or so.  Head west my friends.

Offline West by Virginia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:23 PM »
Thanks for the post  Reb.  I also stopped by the Park today at 4pm.    Lots of open water.   I think it warms up next week too. Guess I was dreaming.   The dredging looks nice.

Offline crappie assain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Anyone know of the ice conditions Greenbriar?

Offline Spurcollector

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:09 AM »
I talked with the rangers this AM at both Rocky Gap and Greenbriar:
The ranger at Rocky Gap said there were around 15 ice fishermen on the lake yesterday. 
The ranger at Greenbriar said that 3" of ice had been measured on Greenbriar and they did not consider the ice to be safe although they had seen footprints on the lake.  She also said there was still some open water. She had not seen ice fishermen on the lake, per se.
Hope this is helpful----spur
I never lost a little fish----spurcollector

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:53 AM »
Thanks for the update spur. I'm afraid this cold weather will kill what was there. Hope for another cold spell

Offline orange pants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:53 PM »
I fished Rocky Gap yesterday.Ice was 4".I'm certain it's not safe now.

Offline REB9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:09 PM »
I talked with the rangers this AM at both Rocky Gap and Greenbriar:
The ranger at Rocky Gap said there were around 15 ice fishermen on the lake yesterday. 
The ranger at Greenbriar said that 3" of ice had been measured on Greenbriar and they did not consider the ice to be safe although they had seen footprints on the lake.  She also said there was still some open water. She had not seen ice fishermen on the lake, per se.
Hope this is helpful----spur
Thanks Spur. I figured we would almost have ice.  With the forecast, i gotta believe we wont be fishing for awhile.  Oh well, i am on business travel all week anyway.  REB9

Offline West by Virginia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:35 PM »
I was going to try Greenbriar yesterday but my kids gave me Caps / Sabres tickets for my birthday.   At least it was something on ice!  Hoping for one more cold snap.  The slushy base is going to make it hard to know how good the ice is. 

Offline Spurcollector

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Hey Reb--Good to hear from you.  Sure would like to be fishing Greenbriar sometime this winter.  I've even got current licenses. :)  Orange Pants, my curiosity is killing me.  How was fishing at Rocky gap?  We'll b in touch----spur
I never lost a little fish----spurcollector

Offline REB9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:15 PM »
Hey Reb--Good to hear from you.  Sure would like to be fishing Greenbriar sometime this winter.  I've even got current licenses. :)  Orange Pants, my curiosity is killing me.  How was fishing at Rocky gap?  We'll b in touch----spur

Doesn't look good my friend.  I hope greenbriar gets some ice, but fear this will be year two of no fishing there.

Take care

Bob

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:22 AM »
Dang, I was afraid of that...was looking forward to fishing there on the hardwater again.  Thanks for the reports.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Htown83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2013, 03:32 PM »
Checked it out today. 90% of lake has about an inch of ice on it with only a small spot of open water near the beach.
GONE FISH'N

Offline REB9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2013, 12:31 PM »
Checked it out today. 90% of lake has about an inch of ice on it with only a small spot of open water near the beach.

I stopped by for a quick look.  Water is almost to normal winter pool, open water at the dam, and where water is flowing

Not looking good for now.

REB9

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2013, 12:55 PM »
This is getting frustrating. Hopefully we get some cold weather  an it stays. I'm sick of this cold for a week an 70 degrees a few days later

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.