Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: 11/30/13 First ice C.R. area  (Read 839 times)

Offline phisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
11/30/13 First ice C.R. area
« on: Dec 02, 2013, 11:05 AM »
I had an itch that needed scratching and this definitely did it.  Hit up a 1.5 - 2 acre pond near the C.R. area on Saturday.  Intentions, get up at 6am and get out the door by 7am.  Reality, woke up at 7am and didn't get to the pond until around 8am.  Found 2.5" - 3" of ice on the pond, drilled the first holes on it for the season.  Fished until about 11am, felt pretty warm, sweating in my suit.  I forgot my phone and wallet rushing out the door so had no idea of time or temp, and couldn't get pics of the beautiful day on the ice.  Didn't realize it was almost 50 degrees when I left the ice but I did hear some harleys in the background that morning.  Pucker factor: HIGH, as I was leaving the ice I could hear cracking with each step, not the good cracking like when it's 5 degrees out and making ice.  All in all a great, short trip and limited out on bluegills.  I can't remember the last time I was out on the ice in November, in Iowa.  As a bonus, after I got home I put up xmas lights outside and got a short ride in, which was a first ever, ice fishing and riding in the same day.  I'll be waiting another 2 weeks with the predicted forecast before I hit the ice again.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 11/30/13 First ice C.R. area
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2013, 04:11 PM »
Nice pile of fish! And a beautiful bike!
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline phisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:12 AM »
Thanks MJ.  Felt great to be able to get on the ice in November, limit out, and get a ride in the same day.  But I would rather have good ice consistently from Nov til about March, not asking for too much.  Oh well, it gave me an opportunity to get some Stabil running through the fuel system so I can put the bike away for the rest of the winter.  Looks like we'll be set for the rest of the winter with the current forecast, hopefully will be back on local ice again by the weekend of the 14th!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2013, 04:55 PM »
that wont happen again until april I hope :thumbsup: :thumbsup: great post and nice bike
Never to many short poles

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.