Author Topic: dogfood cats  (Read 5165 times)

Offline Night Eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
dogfood cats
« on: Feb 09, 2010, 01:01 AM »
i was fishin  a local lake for walleye and caught 3 nice channel cats, i usually put the cats back but decided to keep them, it was late when i got home so i left them in the sled on the porch. now my dogs love to check the sled for fish when i get home, they like to lick the slime. next morning took the dogs out, lost track of one,  looked on the porch and their he was eating the cat fish, ate the head clean off, i had to fight him for it, i was worried he would get a spine stuck in his throat. then i started thinking, could you teach a dog to smell schooling fish under the ice? ha ha.

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
Re: dogfood cats
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2010, 04:21 AM »
My dogs have tried raw fish parts and don't care for them.  I guess they will hold out for dog food when faced with raw fish heads and guts, haha. 

They like em real good when they're cooked though and they like the bones and scales too. 

Offline BBenoit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:59 AM »
Ya my cats go crazy when i get home thay can smell all 3 of the fish i get lol  :tipup:
FISH-ON

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2010, 02:47 PM »
My friend brought his dog ice fishing one day,some kind of little terrier,that dog destroy ever moving crappie we iced,he just ripped them apart,he didn't want to eat them just kill them,blood and guts where everywhere,he had to tie him to my big sled,he went nuts yapping and trying to drag the sled.The dog barely goes 5 lbs but a real killer,my friend left because the dog never gave up.

Offline jiggarnaut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Having a good knowledge of dogs, I highly doubt you could train them to find fish under ice. Dogs find things by following a scent trail left behind. Being the are under the ice..... Doubt it. But it's kind of funny about that terrier. I have an American Bulldog and he likes to steal your fish. He doesn't destroy them. Just runs off with them until he gets bored. So you still have a fish in one piece to bring home and enjoy. But he can be a pain though when you want to bring the fish in, but he teases you with it! By the way, I'm fishing Champlain on the Vermont side across from Crown Point NY. Fishing here has sucked so far this season. Now after the rain, the water is very cloudy, any ideas on when this should clear up so the fish can see my jig again?
SET THE HOOK!

Offline Night Eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2010, 12:01 AM »
one dog is a yellow lab,the other is a Pitt, its the lab that eats the fish, he will swallow hole crappies & gills if i don't catch him first. ya i doubt you could teach a dog to mark fish under the ice, but if you could that would be one prized pooch. but than again they do use cadaver dogs on the water.

Offline jeffd7766

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:24 AM »
Having a good knowledge of dogs, I highly doubt you could train them to find fish under ice. Dogs find things by following a scent trail left behind. Being the are under the ice..... Doubt it. But it's kind of funny about that terrier. I have an American Bulldog and he likes to steal your fish. He doesn't destroy them. Just runs off with them until he gets bored. So you still have a fish in one piece to bring home and enjoy. But he can be a pain though when you want to bring the fish in, but he teases you with it! By the way, I'm fishing Champlain on the Vermont side across from Crown Point NY. Fishing here has sucked so far this season. Now after the rain, the water is very cloudy, any ideas on when this should clear up so the fish can see my jig again?

I too have a pretty good knowledge of dogs. I also know that dogs can smell through ice to a certain degree. People have gotten busted trying to smuggle drugs in cubes of ice/ dry ice, and dogs have found them before...but i really doubt they could smell the fish because the scent would be dispersing all throughout the water and not in one concentrated place.

Offline moshpitbull

• IceShanty Rookie
  • no shrimp
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:23 AM »
my pit absolutely loves fish i usually keep the pickerel and dink perch for her. i discovered that she liked fish opne day during early spring she found a dead bass (must have been frozen) on the rivers edge it was disgusting but she ate the whole thing i couldnt get it away from her, then a few weeks ago she got caught a few times stealing fish heads out of my gut pile. if your dog like fish its better to give it to them raw the bones are easier for them to digest that way
dude, it looks like you painted black stripes on the backs of the baitfish!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:29 AM »
We stopped taking my Buddies black lab Pokey fishing cause she spent the whole time hunting sunnys in the shallows.  (and frogs too)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline fishermantim4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:52 AM »
my grandfathers dog used to only eat the crappie heads, she was also dumb enough to jump into weeds after a dead fish. shes a hound mix, not very bright. my mothers pup is a lab golden mix and she was stealing carcasses, only one she actually got down was a skin and that was gone before we knew she had it, mom went nuts, there's fish in their dry dog. if moms not around the dogs probably gunna get to see a few more fish ::)
WINDOW FISH!!!!!

Offline snapozz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh no its weed'ez watch out.....:icefishing:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:56 AM »
i was fishin  a local lake for walleye and caught 3 nice channel cats, i usually put the cats back but decided to keep them, it was late when i got home so i left them in the sled on the porch. now my dogs love to check the sled for fish when i get home, they like to lick the slime. next morning took the dogs out, lost track of one,  looked on the porch and their he was eating the cat fish, ate the head clean off, i had to fight him for it, i was worried he would get a spine stuck in his throat. then i started thinking, could you teach a dog to smell schooling fish under the ice? ha ha.
how about no :o
Its like my pap told me, "son its the way you hold you mouth"
so i like to keep mine open ;)

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:16 AM »
i have a beagle that loves fish but he waits by the deep fryer for them lol

he also will eat fruit cocktail
and wont eat popcorn (thats the only thing i know he wont eat) 

but he will roll in the carcasses in the backyard if he can find them

when we get a deer and skint it he will roll in the gut pile  yuck   (must be a dog thing!!!!)

Offline DUX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2010, 02:19 PM »
HECK YEAH!!!  I've got the best fish dog in the state, not only does she find 'em, she herds 'em to the hole for me! By the way, she got that rare and elusive "phaesant fish" through a 6 inch hole.
<<<< see picture to right ;D

Offline jiggarnaut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:02 PM »
I too have a pretty good knowledge of dogs. I also know that dogs can smell through ice to a certain degree. People have gotten busted trying to smuggle drugs in cubes of ice/ dry ice, and dogs have found them before...but i really doubt they could smell the fish because the scent would be dispersing all throughout the water and not in one concentrated place.

They can smell the drugs in a block of ice because there has been a scent trail left in the water used to make the ice. What I was saying, is that a fish would leave no scent trail in the ice because it would have had to pass through that particular spot where it is.
SET THE HOOK!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:56 AM »
How do you explain DUX's dog and the Phaesant fish .... HUH?  ;)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2010, 08:54 AM »
I have a friend who has 4 Portuguese Water Dogs. We had one of them on the ice with us, now that bad boy will scarf a 'gill down in 2 chomps. They really get excited when cleaning the fish, the 4 of them will eat all of the guts, leaving almost nothing to clean up! This is not at all unusual as this is what this bread of dogs have always been fed and these 4 dogs have lived theire entire life on a raw diet.
Bruster

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:00 AM »
My friend brought his dog ice fishing one day,some kind of little terrier,that dog destroy ever moving crappie we iced,he just ripped them apart,he didn't want to eat them just kill them,blood and guts where everywhere,he had to tie him to my big sled,he went nuts yapping and trying to drag the sled.The dog barely goes 5 lbs but a real killer,my friend left because the dog never gave up.

Probably a rat terrier. We had one and had to get rid of her cuz she couldn't catch on to the whole bathroom training thing. Rat terriers are excellent rodent exterminators

Offline Night Eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2010, 12:24 AM »
I have a friend who has 4 Portuguese Water Dogs. We had one of them on the ice with us, now that bad boy will scarf a 'gill down in 2 chomps. They really get excited when cleaning the fish, the 4 of them will eat all of the guts, leaving almost nothing to clean up! This is not at all unusual as this is what this bread of dogs have always been fed and these 4 dogs have lived theire entire life on a raw diet.
   I've been looking in to the raw diet, i hear its best to feed them the hole fish... cool!

Offline Pint of Plain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2011, 03:30 PM »
check

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.