Author Topic: frustrating fishing "buddys" that no longer get invited!  (Read 27568 times)

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: frustrating fishing "buddys" that no longer get invited!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2009, 04:40 PM »
I hunt and fish with a couple of guys that seem to have no urgency,so I give them 10minutes ,call their house wake everyone up and go with out them.Be on time or on your own.BB

I forgot to add they are brothers!!

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:01 PM »
I have two buddies that do the early thing with no problem and one even has an hour drive up here and he is always on time.
Same goes for open water too,there are guys who either oversleep or get hammered the night before and just cant be there on time.
I have one friend who always asks "what time"? I always tell him think of what would be really early for you and its earlier than that! haha

Offline BIG RED

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Real men Ride Clydesdales
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:35 PM »
this is why I like pets better than people, my dog always seems to be ready. If i,m feeding horses @ 3:30am so i can go fishing @ 4:15 the dog is happy to run next to the quad in 0 degree weather. I don't have any friends that are willing to do that. I do have one buddy that has meet up with a lady friend for a all nighter and still managed to make it to the cabin before the salmon boat left the barn, but that was just down right fun to see if he could actually do it.  My favorite thing to hear is you have my tip-ups right, YA sure do @ the next gas station for $25.00

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:21 AM »
How about a friend that invites you to go with him and he's never on time picking you up. >:( He's got the big water boat and i have a 16' one. He says 5 and gets there at 6, or even doesn't bother to show up at all. I put up with it for a long time, seeing as i grew up with him. Last year i decided it wasn't worth it anymore and told him if he's late, dont bother coming by, cause i'm taking my boat and going fishing. He depended on my share of the money for gas and bait to help pay for the trips. After a few times of him coming by late and him not seeing my boat parked, he got the message. 15 minutes late and i'm gone. Now he calls me if he's gonna be even 5 minutes late. And he knows he only has those 5 minutes too.

Offline mpriceless7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:46 AM »
what pisses me off is that it is usually your friends that you take, and they pull stunts like that. Is it that hard to call and say that your running 10 or 15 minutes late. I can handle that, It's the no shows and hour late BS that makes the choice of fishing alone real easy. They get mad but oh well if you say 7 am then be ready, I am like the rest of you guys, everything ready the night before. I don't want to be the guy that ruins the trip or everyones pissed at for being late.
[IMG]

Offline Sowbelly17

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Iceaholic
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Luckily I've never been in the same boat as you.  I fish alone most of the time, and when I do invite someone to go with me, I make sure that they are a person of their word.  I only have one fishing buddy that lives around me and he goes with me about once every two weeks.  I like to fish at least 5 hours or more every time I go out.  Every time he goes with me,  he starts hinting that he's ready to go home after a couple hours.  Unless you have someone who's as much as an ice nut as you are, then you're better off bein' a lone ranger.
'
No fish left uncaught.

Offline bisceglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:30 PM »
It's not like a movie or a wedding when showing up late is no big deal...Icefishing is much more important.
that's fishing period >:(
all fishermen are liars, except me and you... but i'm not so sure about you

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:43 PM »
This is why I fly solo most of the time. You learn who you can and can't depend on. Screw me once shame on you. Screw me twice shame on me. I've got one person that hasn't left me waiting. That's the only person I'll pick up or wait to pick me up. Any one else can meet me there.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline bisceglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:55 PM »
Luckily I've never been in the same boat as you.  I fish alone most of the time, and when I do invite someone to go with me, I make sure that they are a person of their word.  I only have one fishing buddy that lives around me and he goes with me about once every two weeks.  I like to fish at least 5 hours or more every time I go out.  Every time he goes with me,  he starts hinting that he's ready to go home after a couple hours.  Unless you have someone who's as much as an ice nut as you are, then you're better off bein' a lone ranger.
'
neither have i and won't be leave em at home sleepin, they're up then they can walk home, but i go alone 95 percent of the time.
all fishermen are liars, except me and you... but i'm not so sure about you

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:40 PM »
Thats why I fish alone on morning trips!  I can sleep in a bit if I want, don't have to complain about somebody not helping with setting up, and I don't have to worry about being late because im running my schedule.  When I arrange trips with buddys on morning trips, I set my alarm for an hr. early, I like to hit the snooze button a few times  ::)   But I also have time to get dressed, mabey eat breakfast, and put all my gear outside ready to go.  I've slept in one or two times and I felt horrible for letting my fishing buddy down.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:38 AM »
I must say it is refreshing to read these posts. Kinda thought I might offend some with my initial post and feelings on this subject, but there sure seems to be a common thread amongst nearly all posters on here. WTG!!

Offline Maverick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:44 AM »
I hear you guys. I 'm a die hard, packed the night before, can't hardly sleep the night of and always wake am up earlier then the trip begins with anticipation. Early, Late, Hot, Cold, Windy, Raining - Doesn't Matter! I have a group of really good buddies who want to tag along and frankly I enjoy the company, but they know I'm a but crazy about fishing and when I have to wait for them it ruins my day. I have a plan, and a program which I research extensively before I go out to ensure the best chances of catching fish for both of us. I provide all the latest and greatest gear, the ride and the bait. The very least they can do is be waiting at the door with a hot cup of coffee when I get to their house. What they do not seem to understand is that fishing, especially through thick ice isn't inexpensive and you can't just drill a hole anywhere and get on good fish. Plus I am always stuck cleaning and cooking the fish for everyone to enjoy. This year I sent everyone an email and cost for buying all their own gear and getting a guide to put them on the fish. When they saw the $$$ they started respecting my time a little and schedule a little more. Now I get to their door and my coffee is waiting. Sometimes you just have to put things into perspective.

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
« Reply #42 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:09 PM »
When it comes to hunting or icefishing you get a 5 minute "grace period" then you are on your own, I don't wait and I don't wake people up.  When you are driving you make the rules.  Answering a cellphone on the ice, that's a completely different issue. 
Now, you are a guy I could fish with. Phones down the hole, they're only good for chumming anyway.
Hey Charlie, the kid's got one on over here...

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:25 PM »
My brother is horrible for showing up late, doesn't chip in for gas or food, he doesn't even help load HIS gear into the truck.  I finally had it. Last year when gas was $4+ I told him he had to help with the gas, or no fishing.  He didn't even buy a licence.  Oh well.  Now my best bud on the other hand, I can tell him we will leave at 6, he is pulling in at 5:30.  We are hitting the ice on Saturday morning, he was at the house this evening, helping get everything ready to go.  He is the best fishing partner I have ever had the pleasure of fishing with.  Wish everybody had a fishing pal like mine.  My 13 year old son is awesome as well, he knows how to set up everything.  My little man can take care of business in the boat or on the ice.
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline fhsww48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:24 PM »
My brother passed away unexpectedly this past spring. He was my hunting and fishing buddy. 5 minutes early was fine, 5 minutes late was time to send a search party because something happened. We split the costs and chores as close to 50/50 as possible. Now I go solo. I miss my brother. The only benefit of solo is I come and go as I please.

My warm weather fishing buddy is my wife. She answers the alarm and makes the coffee before she wakes me. She packs the bait and snacks in the boat and helps clean the fish. If she could do a little better job backing the boat trailer she would be perfect.

It's great to find your best buddy right under your nose

Offline holden222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:12 AM »
Sorry to hear about your brother. My father is my hunting and fishing partner. I can only hope that he lives a very long life or I will be up a creek without a paddle as the case my truly be.
"It's not like a movie or a wedding when showing up late is no big deal...Icefishing is much more important." -superpole-

Offline crouz31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2009, 01:43 AM »
A good fishing partner is a hard thing to come by!  My old man always told me when it came to fishing or hunting

"To be early, is to be on time"
"To be on time is to be late"
"And to be late is never to happen"

Sadly I do not have my Old man around either, lucky for me I have 2 solid fishing buddies who are ready to Rock & Troll at any set time.  When dealing with those that have a history of being late or not planning to spend the entire day fishing, I tell them were to find me and tell them they can meet me there...usually they never show up and I just send them text message pics of all the fish I caught that day. 

Crouz
I am GOING FISHING, I'll be back at Dark-Thirty

Offline HuntnTky

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Under the Ducks or Over the fish otherwise youre j
« Reply #47 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:01 AM »
My Ice fishen buddies have there shantys out next to the driveway loadedup and ready to go  and on the road in 5 min. They pay for gas and even help drive if asked. They bring extra bait and a lot of funny stories. They know how to fish where to find fish and how to get em. THATS why they are my ice fishen buddies :-)

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #48 on: Jan 22, 2009, 05:14 AM »
My brother is horrible for showing up late, doesn't chip in for gas or food, he doesn't even help load HIS gear into the truck.  I finally had it. Last year when gas was $4+ I told him he had to help with the gas, or no fishing.  He didn't even buy a licence.  Oh well. 

Sounds like my ex bro-in-law/buddy.  Needless to say he didnt go in the boat last summer.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #49 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:28 AM »
Sounds like my ex bro-in-law/buddy.  Needless to say he didnt go in the boat last summer.

Speak of the devil.  I was setting up to fish this afternoon and he calls me up and asks what Im doing.  I tell him Im fishing and he says well if you do good give me a call and I might stop out.  ::) Couple hours later I get ahold of him saying I wasnt getting anything and hadnt even marked a fish (both not true  ;D ) so it didnt pay for him to.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:43 AM »
 ;D nice ;D

Offline pshootr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:55 PM »
that dude is a total LAHOO-HOO HOO SER! :%$#!: :cookoo: >:D.get him a hat with a big L on it,sorry about those kind of dudes but there are more of them than you think out there.
GOD BLESS AMERICA.LETS GO FISHIN!!!!

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 24, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Nearly the exact same story but its  when I bring my wife because she insists on  going. UUUUUHHHHGGGG!

Offline Epoo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • UGGGG Skunked again!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:12 AM »
My brother is my usual fishing partner, and it burns me when i tell him, be ready at 8:00am or earlier and he tells me, its my only day off im gonna sleep in!

ok, SEEEEEEE YA!!! meet me out there when you wake up!

And im with the poster earlier about having your gear ready, if you KNOW that you have to meet someone, get your stuff ready the night before and have it loaded and ready to go!

And DONT make plans for later in that day!
I dont want to hear, well i have to leave at 4:00 to make dinner, or i (THE CARDINAL SIN) i have a show to watch!

Get a DVR or VCR if tv is that important!
Dinner, yea well get some AFTER we fish!
I usually stop at a greasy spoon and get a nice big breakfast before heading out, and usually pack a lunch.

Im with everyone here that gets frustrated with selfish people.

Epoo

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #54 on: Jan 27, 2009, 03:14 PM »

Had a guy that use to go on our spring trip and just get smashed. On his LAST trip he had his 18 $ K-mart pole in one hand and tackle box full of loose hooks and about 1000 split shots in the other. Well he was cocked and tried to hand them down the bank to me in the boat. Well there was about 10 inches between the bank and boat. He slid down the bank and the only thing that landed in the boat was the tackle box. Which exploded releasing all the hooks and split shot. He was wedged between boat and bank. That was 5 years ago and every now and then I will find a hook or split shot in the boat and remember how hard he made me laugh on his last trip. ;D ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline johnnyb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on fish on fish on!
« Reply #55 on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Gotta love the story section ;D  For some strange reason, my long-time best friend and fishing buddy is one of the guys I have a hard time ice-fishing with.  We're fine in the boat, but, here's our brief history of hardwater antics:
Trip #1. We are going for walleye, which neither of us have ever pulled through the ice.  Slow day...I announce that I'm walking over to some huts to see how the regulars are making out...and give CLEAR instructions that should ANYTHING happen to my line, he should holler and shout and get my attention.
Well, I come back about 10 minutes later, and he's got a walleye on the ice, and proceeds to tell me that something tried to swim away with my rod, so he just wedged it under the bait bucket.  Didn't try to reel anything in. Didn't yell for me.  Nothing!
Trip #2.  I'm taking him out for lake trout....we've got the live bait lines rigged, and this time I decide that since he's not going to be of any help to me should something happen to my lines, that he can just tend to his own....and I tell him this...nicely...sort of   ::)  So as I'm getting my jigging line ready, who runs over to my live bait line and yanks the line out of a fishes mouth?  Yeah...the guy I USED to ice fish with    :P

Good times, good times.  The guy that started this thread sure got a raw deal though....both my wife and I couldn't believe the NERVE of him!
The harder the better!

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:39 PM »

Had a guy that use to go on our spring trip and just get smashed. On his LAST trip he had his 18 $ K-mart pole in one hand and tackle box full of loose hooks and about 1000 split shots in the other. Well he was cocked and tried to hand them down the bank to me in the boat. Well there was about 10 inches between the bank and boat. He slid down the bank and the only thing that landed in the boat was the tackle box. Which exploded releasing all the hooks and split shot. He was wedged between boat and bank. That was 5 years ago and every now and then I will find a hook or split shot in the boat and remember how hard he made me laugh on his last trip. ;D ;D ;D

This story was a gooder and gave me the best laugh of the afternoon so far. I can just pictures this guy drunk falling down the bank into the water..

1 pole at K-mart = $18 bucks
24 pack of beer = $30 bucks
crappy tackle box/hooks = $25 bucks
Watching your pi$$ed to the gills buddy fall down the bank and roll into the water while sending his gear flying....priceless.

haha,
Stevo  ;D

(ps: the original poster sure did get a raw deal. There is no way I would have drove the guy home for whatever apointment he had unless it was life threating....you have more patience then me. Some people just have no respect for others, and common sence isnt so common anymore)

Offline mako003

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:23 AM »
Hi all
Here a good 1  for ya never ice fished be for its not that often we get the ice so I got talked into going was told just bring a license  OK  no problem wally world is open was to meet at 6am at the lake 615 I'm on the phone which there is no reply now I'm
pissed so I stopped at the local bait and tackle shop tell the guy in the store what happened ask him what do I need to do this
and all this happen this week  bought 3 tipups bait and a bit of tackle the man that has the store called his wife to mind the shop
he took me back to the ice put 3 hole in it set me up thank god it was a nice day and left with in 1 hour had a 24 inch rainbow dam near pissed my pants packed up stopped back at the store to say thankyou and now I'm his customer  now   still green at ice fishing but I'm hooked
and to my friend that hung me out there I say THANKYOU best thing you ever did for me

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:40 AM »
Hi all
Here a good 1  for ya never ice fished be for its not that often we get the ice so I got talked into going was told just bring a license  OK  no problem wally world is open was to meet at 6am at the lake 615 I'm on the phone which there is no reply now I'm
**censored** so I stopped at the local bait and tackle shop tell the guy in the store what happened ask him what do I need to do this
and all this happen this week  bought 3 tipups bait and a bit of tackle the man that has the store called his wife to mind the shop
he took me back to the ice put 3 hole in it set me up thank god it was a nice day and left with in 1 hour had a 24 inch rainbow dam near **censored** my pants packed up stopped back at the store to say thankyou and now I'm his customer  now   still green at ice fishing but I'm hooked
and to my friend that hung me out there I say THANKYOU best thing you ever did for me
Welcome to the sport!!! Hope you are hooked for life!! ;)

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #59 on: Jan 29, 2009, 03:32 PM »
Yeah something about ice fishing that makes it too serious of a sport to mess things up.  My motto is one invite only.  The second one is earned based on the first trip.  Waking up at 2 in the morning the last thing I need is my ride to not show up or the person im giving a ride too to not be ready.  Night before ALL my gear is loaded and waiting to be put into the truck, all I gotta do is wake up and get dressed.  Its not a sport to be taken lightly (for the diehards)  Sounds like the original guy won't be ice fishing anytime soon  ;D

E

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.