Author Topic: frustrating fishing "buddys" that no longer get invited!  (Read 27555 times)

Offline mako003

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: frustrating fishing "buddys" that no longer get invited!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:05 PM »
Oh yea will be sticking around  I m in it now for the long haul
dont get me wrong I love fishing but this I really like I mean frist love is the ocean and stripper then going off shore for shark and tuna or back at the house for trout and bass but this is AWESOME not heat humidy or BUGS !!!!! I love it

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy!
« Reply #61 on: Jan 29, 2009, 11:42 PM »
My Nephew 14, poed me. He caught 4 fish and then wanted to beat the fish with my scoop. I think I will invite him Sat. Just kids at least they arent smokin dope out there.

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 30, 2009, 09:31 AM »
I've had a couple. Some are good buddies but still have their priorities screwed up so I just schedule an afternoon trip for the late bite. Leave at 11:30 get lunch, bait, boat in the water by 1:30 etc. and everyone is still friends. Other are selfish and what comes around goes around.

* We (3) were going coho fishing the boat leaves at 4:30 AM and my buddy says how about you pick me up by my house. I thought ok, We'll load the boat and gas up and and get everything ready. With the two of us and need to drop him off again and go back home to put everything away. Show up at 5 AM no answer. Knock on the door > no answer. Open the door and there is a 3/4 empty bottle of Jack and beer cans all over and he is on the couch. I woke him up and asked what happened, did you forget we're going fishing and said remember this (he never remember me being there). About a 6 months later he asked me to help him move knowing I have a truck and 7 x12 trailer. I never showed and turned off my cell.

For the AM trips I only plan with the reliable buds.

Offline Tinman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:54 PM »
My fishin partner and I have a couple "buddy's" that won't give a positive yes or no answer until the morning of the trip. They now get the verbal invite from the truck as we pass by their homes. The windows rolled up passing by at 55 m.p.h. Oddly enough they have yet to accept this type of invite.

Offline Bsens07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:17 AM »
I too hate when my buddy is late.  Most of the equipment is his, but I used to pick it up the night before and hold it "ransom" incase he doesnt show up atleast I will have a good time.  I dont mind for the most part if someone is late, as long as they warn me, send me a text, give me a ring what ever it may be.  Being late will just cost you a #1 from Dunkin Doughnuts along the way.

Usually he will pull the shanty will equipment out and I follow and direct him where to go.  But our shanty has a habit of spilling things off the back.  When we get to where we are going, we have a system.  I usually drill 2 holes for the shanty, then 2-3 more for tip ups while he clears and snow away, unloads the equipment and sets up the shanty.  Then he will start to set up tip ups and drill more holes while I load the shanty up with buckets ect. and clear the holes and get the shanty warm for when he comes in.  Then start fishing and tell him whats working  :P.  But overall its a pretty good system.

I dont mind bringing new people with me, I actually like it.  I never promise anyone fish, just a good time.  Plus I make them pull the shanty so they get the full experience.

Forgot to add:  The one thing that urks me more than anything: Its nice and dark in the shanty, I can see down 8-9' and I'm watching 3-4 crappies all over 12" stairing at my bait and my buddies cell phone rings.  So he answers it even though I whispered what was going on.  But he cant talk softly and of course its his wife who calls him 10+ times in 4 hours of fishing on a week day while she is at work. GRRRR!!!!! Next time the phone stays in the truck with or without him.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #65 on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:15 PM »
If you are a real fisherman or hunter, like most of us, then you can never fall asleep the night before a hunting or fishing expedition because you are too pumped up with deer and giant fish racing through your head.
If someone tells you to be ready at 5 a.m. you will have all your stuff packed up the night before and at the door... you will eat breakfast at 3 a.m. and spend the next 1 1/2 hours fine tuning your gear until 5.

Leave the chumps at home if they can't wake up... they don't deserve the opportunity.

EXACTLY!

Offline duke31

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "gone fishin"
« Reply #66 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:15 PM »
LOL, BECAUSE I CAN RELATE TO THE ABOVE POSTS. FINALLY CAME TO THE CONCLUSION, NO 2ND CHANCES.-- IST TIME , WAS SHAME ON YOU, --2ND TIME WAS , SHAME ON ME. MOTTO FOR ME NOW IS--
IF YOU WANT TO SOAR WITH THE EAGLES IN THE MORNING,
YOU CAN'T HOOT WITH THE OWLS ALL NITE. ;)
aka FishingPolski

Offline craiger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swedish steel is for real
« Reply #67 on: Feb 02, 2009, 09:31 PM »
I don't have any bad stories yet, but I'm still new.  Thanks for all the stories, I will try to learn from them.

It's rare that I sleep in, especially if I have plans, whether I'm living the high life or sailing with the captain the night before.  I've had plenty of sleepless nights before a fishing trip, even if it's just heading down to the lake by myself.  I call it the "what if machine"...once it gets going, it's hard to turn off.

As for those who choose to sleep in:
                                         There's plenty of time to sleep when you're dead.

Offline Epoo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • UGGGG Skunked again!
« Reply #68 on: Feb 03, 2009, 12:27 PM »
LOL, BECAUSE I CAN RELATE TO THE ABOVE POSTS. FINALLY CAME TO THE CONCLUSION, NO 2ND CHANCES.-- IST TIME , WAS SHAME ON YOU, --2ND TIME WAS , SHAME ON ME. MOTTO FOR ME NOW IS--
IF YOU WANT TO SOAR WITH THE EAGLES IN THE MORNING,
YOU CAN'T HOOT WITH THE OWLS ALL NITE. ;)

WORDS TO LIVE BY!!!!!

Epoo :tipup:

Offline Nuangola Susquehanna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:26 PM »
WORDS TO LIVE BY!!!!!

Epoo :tipup:

Absolutely!  :tipup:

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #70 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:50 PM »
Fishing buddys we are leaving at 5 AM . AT 2 am a call are awake yet answer yes you want to leave now I say yes Ill call Tom .You up still answer yes. We will pick you up in 20. Those are fisking buddys the night before the Waleye run.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 05, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Fishing buddys we are leaving at 5 AM . AT 2 am a call are awake yet answer yes you want to leave now I say yes Ill call Tom .You up still answer yes. We will pick you up in 20. Those are fisking buddys the night before the Waleye run.
Dang straight!!! Thats the way it ought to be!!!

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #72 on: Feb 06, 2009, 10:06 PM »
I hear ya!  But, I go by a 5 minute "grace period" the other way - I'm early.  If someone is taking me fishing, I'm packed, ready, and waiting at the door with plenty of time to spare!  Last year, we (Dad + 2 cousins) made an annual trip to Canada - couldn't sleep the night before, so I got to Dad's house to pick him up a bit early (40 minutes early).  Think Mom was a little ticked with me showing up a little after 3am instead of 4.  Point being that like most people on this site, fishing is VERY important to me - Very frustrating when someone doesn't respect that.  That guy would be at the end of my list of who to take fishing.
We could be brothers, Even when I am late, I am still 20 minutes early.  :)

Offline three003d

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:00 PM »
Well I am some what new at ice fishing I have only been doing it for about 30 years still learning new things from all of the other die hards but to the topic I would not have waited when I am going to show up at some ones house at 5:00 they should be out side wide a wake with a full stomach and a lunch I live in Michigan and some times ice fishing is hit and miss for the last 4 days it has been anywere fro  35deg to 55 degs so back to the problem waiting is not a option if you have a good time with person wile hunting I would continue to do so but fishing apparently is not that important to him.

Offline SUBCATCHER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh i sink so!
« Reply #74 on: Feb 16, 2009, 10:27 AM »
After I found out he was still asleep I would have been on my way without him.  U snooze U lose :tipup:
If what comes around goes around is true.... Im coming back as a large shiner

Offline Bigadbass

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Once you get to know me, you'll understand why.
« Reply #75 on: Feb 18, 2009, 03:21 PM »
I fish with my brother, a lot of times, we will meet at a lake that's located between where we live. It doesn't really bother me if he's late. He is definitely my best friend, no one I'd rather fish with. We're both getting a little older every year.
The way I figure it, I'd rather wait for him for hours than fish without him for minutes.

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Oct 29, 2009, 11:22 AM »
I fish with my cousin about 98% of the time. I will go and pick him up the night before because he doesn't have a license and then we will go load the gear up before we go to bed, this way the only thing we have to do is wake up and get dressed and we are one stop at the convenience store for breakfast away from the lake

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Oct 29, 2009, 11:44 AM »

We kind of got even though. You tell me. Were we unfair. When you go North there is a tax you pay that the US citizen gets back. You stop before you come back into the US, show your proof and you getthis tax back (at least you use too). Not sure whatthey call it. Anyway we didn't tell him about it. I said to my bother why should we give it back to him? We did all the work! He didn't do squat and enjoyed the same foods and amenities. It wasn't a big buck we took and split between the two of us but it did give us that feeling of getting even. Was I bad?

LOL, its probably the "GOODS AND SERVICES TAX" LOL Quite fitting I think

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #78 on: Oct 29, 2009, 12:22 PM »
Being in college can be rough for the morning fishing trips. Me and a buddy of mine were out catching bottle bass till 2am or so and stubbled home telling one another we would be fishing by 6am. I call at 530am and hear "you ready to go too?" We were fishing by 6am with some gas station coffee and donuts we could barely eat due to the after effects of bottle bass. Once the "fog" lifted I asked him how he was out this early, he said I didn't want to be that guy.... I had the same response. That is the stuff good fishin' buddies are made of.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Oct 29, 2009, 12:46 PM »
My rule is simple, I wait 10 minutes for a some sort of notification and then I leave. It isn't up to me to keep tabs on you.

Offline dalwhe1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Oct 30, 2009, 11:29 PM »
My brother passed away unexpectedly this past spring. He was my hunting and fishing buddy. 5 minutes early was fine, 5 minutes late was time to send a search party because something happened. We split the costs and chores as close to 50/50 as possible. Now I go solo. I miss my brother. The only benefit of solo is I come and go as I please.

My warm weather fishing buddy is my wife. She answers the alarm and makes the coffee before she wakes me. She packs the bait and snacks in the boat and helps clean the fish. If she could do a little better job backing the boat trailer she would be perfect.

It's great to find your best buddy right under your nose

;) You can be sure that your bro is still there fishing with ya...............Enjoy the ice

surflizard

« Reply #81 on: Feb 06, 2010, 04:13 AM »
I used to put up with ( I want fish with you, your slayin em bro ) guys. Waiting on them >:(  Supplying the ( oh man I forgot it at the house stuff) >:( Leaving the lake early cause their cold )  >:(   Dude I left my wallet at the house, I buy the bait and beer next time )  :%$#!: I hooked up with an old fishing buddies (see above)
ex wife. She loves to fish, never complains, buys bait, fillets fish and she's frikken hilarious to watch when she spots fish on the camera. She's the best fishing partner I've ever found, she's a keeper :thumbsup:

Offline Pint of Plain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Dec 22, 2011, 03:29 PM »
check

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #83 on: Nov 24, 2013, 08:42 PM »
I guess im lucky. I am 26 years old and was raised on a farm by my grandparents. Normal days started at 5 and fishing days started at 3:30. The guy I fish with the most is near 70 and not only keeps up, but is usually standing by his mail box holding the rope to his sled or sitting in my driveway 30-45 min before we agreed to leave. I gave him a key to the topper lid on my truck so he could load his gear as we always take my truck. He only has a 2wd and we both agree the extra gas in my old 4x4 is more than worth it given some of the ponds we fish are either a really long walk or very hilly.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.