Author Topic: Flaming Gorge 2021  (Read 2755 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Flaming Gorge 2021
« on: Jan 11, 2021, 10:14 AM »
Thought I would start a thread for our 2021 trips so, Got out to the gorge this last weekend. We went out lost dog to the end and went upstream as we knew the ice thickness would be fine for what we were hauling out from our scouting trip the weekend before. Ended up on 12in+ of ice and there was people fishing as far as we could see when we pulled out yesterday. Looks like the confluence ice is thick enough for sure with all the peeps out around there. I didn't pick a very good camp spot and we only ended up with just a couple of burbot in camp and the rest were pups, cuts and a few bows. Biggest fish was a burb coming in at 25in. caught out deeper off the channel. We'll be back up in 2wks and I'm pretty confident we'll be fishing further south for sure. Only got a couple pics this trip.

Here's a short video I shot on the scouting trip

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flaming Gorge 2021
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:16 AM »
Looks like you guys had a great time! Thanks for the pictures and video. It's cool to see the lights on the poles at night. I like how Lawrence always catches the most!!  ;)
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:36 AM »
You know how it goes, it's always a good time doing the weekends at the gorge. We're all really digging those new lights we put together last season. Perfect for the jackers. That Lawrence can definently rip some lips. He put in his time out deep while me and sky were fishing in camp being lazy. Hope to see you up there soon
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:32 PM »
Looks like you guys had a great time! Thanks for the pictures and video. It's cool to see the lights on the poles at night. I like how Lawrence always catches the most!!  ;)

Well you know how it goes I rather be lucky than good

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2021, 08:13 PM »
Anyone planning on heading up to the Gorge this weekend? Thinking I'll head there early Sat morning and stay through Monday. Any word on how far south the ice is getting? Anvil area thick enough yet?
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:10 AM »
We wont be up this weekend, but will be up next weekend and every other weekend after that.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2021, 07:06 PM »
Looks like you, Skyler and Lawerance caught a few!! Lets get that cold weather back,and keep the ice growing!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2021, 10:59 PM »
Well it's sounding like the ice hasn't been getting any better, heard rumor of some incidents that happened this last weekend that got put out somewhere on FB but can't verify that as I don't FB. I think we'll be going north out from lost dog again instead of out from buckboard area. Definently will look to travel a bit south once on the ice though. Be safe up there for those going this weekend and either steer clear of ridges or check them out extensively before crossing. Could be a thin layer of ice over a recent opening
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:49 PM »
Temps are looking better for the Gorge for building more ice beginning on Sunday with lower high temps and lower low temps.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2021, 09:33 AM »
We made it out as planned and found 10-11in of ice at the confluence. The pressure ridges we pretty bad and we were able to steer clear of them and only went around one where it met the shore. Fishing for the weekend was very slow, the fish were there but didn't like anything we offered for the most part. We camped in 20fow and fished out deep from camp in 70fow, between the 3 of us we only iced just under 25 fish. I did manage to pull 5 species which was cool. Got laker, koke, bow, cut and burbot. Nothing over 20in. While we were there it did snow about 4-6in on the ice which will make travel a little more concerning for those going out. there was ice as far as I could see but can not comment on anything further south than the confluence. Here's a couple pics, really wish i would have taken a few pics when we woke up yesterday,. the tops we made for the tents did great with that snow falling thru the night, just slid right off. No drips or condensation at all.

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:15 PM »
5 species! Pretty cool. Glad you made it safely!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2021, 01:20 PM »
If nothing else, it looks like fun!

Sweet job on the Koke! Usually when people catch those on the gorge they are zombie fish. I need to figure out how to target them better through the ice.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2021, 02:06 PM »
If nothing else, it looks like fun!

Sweet job on the Koke! Usually when people catch those on the gorge they are zombie fish. I need to figure out how to target them better through the ice.

Well that’s what happens when you can’t find the big boys you fish for everything else 😂😂

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2021, 05:06 PM »
You guys need a guide or what!?  ;D
Trent Williams

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2021, 07:24 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I dont know how much more you can show me Trent, must be them big buggers are just allergic to my stuff!
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2021, 08:57 AM »
You guys need a guide or what!?  ;D

😂😂 welll I can only pay in bud light lol no we just need to get down stream

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:14 AM »
A bit late getting this report up but there has been some recovery time after battling the nasty wind all weekend. We arrived on Thursday about 1pm to the spot we chose. We fished just south of big bend and found a good 10in of ice. The wind was blowing at a steady pace, gusting to what I would say to be between 30-40mph. It forced our hand to shelter around a point and put us in a spot we really didn't want to fish but it was what it was and we figured we would try and make the best of it. Now all the ice we drilled going out stayed pretty steady at 9-10in and we figured we would be good all weekend. There were a few small open spots and cracks but that was nothing new to us for the gorge and took good mental notes of things to be cautious around. We were able to get out to deep water on Friday and battled the wind all day seeing fish but had no takers. Fish were chasing things all day but just wouldn't commit. After the battle Friday we decided to just fish in camp the rest of the weekend and had the same thing. Lots of sniffers but no takers. Between the 3 of us we only iced 1 bow and 5 burbot. Nothing over 17-18in.. Woke up Sunday morn to the wind just howling, I would guess in excess of 40mph. Packed our stuff and started for the trailer. When we got to the point we sheltered at was when the fun began!! 1st was a wheeler going in one of the cracks we had crossed, nothing serious just the front tires and the water was only a couple inches deep on the shore but looking at the rest of the path back to the trailer. OH MAN! lots of open water all over. Areas as big as football fields had blown open during the weekend and it was not getting any better. Sand and dust blowing everywhere. The only back to the trailer was going to be dragging the gear over rocks on the shore or dragging the gear on the dirt road back to the trailer. After taking both routes we finally made it back, got loaded and got the heck out of that dust bowl. I don't think we will be back unless something seriously changes in temps. If your still wanting to fish the gorge I would recommend staying above confluence point (road 11), it should be good up there still where the ice was thicker but there's still no telling what the wind did also. That wind will eat ice at furious rate for sure. Only got a few scenery pics this weekend

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2021, 04:59 PM »
Glad you guys are safe! Sounds like a great adventure even though the fish didn’t get the memo.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2021, 11:54 PM »
Man, sounds like a brutal couple of days of fishing with hurricane-force winds! Seems like it's been the Dead Sea for you, Matt, this year! Glad you and others got off safely. Wind has been relentless down there whenever I check the weather.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2021, 07:18 AM »
Glad you guys are safe! Sounds like a great adventure even though the fish didn’t get the memo.

Thanks Joe, its always a good time just wish the fish would make it better.

Man, sounds like a brutal couple of days of fishing with hurricane-force winds! Seems like it's been the Dead Sea for you, Matt, this year! Glad you and others got off safely. Wind has been relentless down there whenever I check the weather.

It was rough on us for sure Glen, the gorge has been fickle for us this year. Maybe I jinxed us by claiming we've been spoiled the last few years fishing so far south  ???
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2021, 09:20 AM »
Sorry you guys had such a sour time. I was worried the whole time you guys were out in that. Glad everyone and everything made it off the ice!

The last week whenever anyone has asked me how the ice is holding up on the gorge, I’ve been telling them to bring their boat. I got my boat fixed up and ready to hit the lake Monday around manila. When I went to bed the forecast was gusts up to 20mph arriving late in the day. When I woke up and checked the weather it was gusts up to 50mph by 9:00 AM. Just brutal...and a boring weekend for me!
Trent Williams

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2021, 07:35 AM »
Thanks Trent, thats why they call it fishing. We're not ready to be boating just quite yet but really you could have launched a boat behind our trailer. Here's a pic sky took before we pulled out of there. Now this was 10in thick when we unloaded right there to the right.

Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.