Author Topic: Ice Fishing 101.2 -Perch Search  (Read 29652 times)

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
Ice Fishing 101.2 -Perch Search
« on: Nov 20, 2003, 07:20 AM »
While most of us wait for ice, I thought we could do some virtual ice fishing. :'(
Someone did something like this last year, I thought it was pretty kewl. I couldn't find the post,  and really can't remember for sure how it worked but here is my attempt.

Ice Fishing 101.2 Perch Search

This is a real lake that Big Pete and I have spent a lot of time on. Large schools of 9-12" perch are prolific in the lake but thats not what were after. If you work hard, you can run into schools of 14"+ JUmbo perch that you can hardly pull off the bottom. It's a somewhat weird lake, the perch are college educated, the super clear water makes them jumpy, 90% of the time they can be found within a certain depth 2-3 feet either way.
The names and locations have been change to protect the innocent.

Your Mission:

Describe what you would do to find and catch the elusive jumbo perch that roam Lake Perchusgiganticus.
I am looking for: Depths, locations, baits,  technique and equipment.
One entry allowed.

After 48 hours<---(changed to monday 8:00 am morning)  from the posting time above, the top 3 replies that Big Pete and I deem to be the best approach to finding and catching these elusive jumbo perch will win.[/font]

Lake Perchusgiganticus:
Acres: 230
Max Depth: 38
Species: Musky, Northern Pike, Walleye, Large Mouth Bass, Perch, Bluegill, Crappie
Bottom Makeup: Sand=Sd., Rubble=R, Boulders=B, Submergent Vegetation=T
Perch Primary Forage: Freshwater Shrimp
Water Clarity: Very Clear, Can see bottom at 20+ feet
click for larger map

The Prize:

1st: 3 jigs from my grab of assorted jigs, Team IceShanty Bumper Sticker, Member status raised to the next level.
2nd: A jig from my grab bag, Team IceShanty Bumper Sticker
3rd: 25 posts added to post count.

Good Luck and please put the JUMBOS back for me! ;)

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
Re:Ice Fishing 101.2 -Perch Search chat
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2003, 08:01 AM »
Hopefully this won't count as my guess. You are,I assume, referring to catching through the ice. Not open water? Thanks.
Pete Lewis

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
Re:Ice Fishing 101.2 -Perch Search
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2003, 08:31 AM »
Ok
I'll bite
I will start fishing in the narrows, center of lake.  I see a couple of humps there one at about 10' the other at about 15.  These humps seem to be surounded by 20 to 25 feet of h2o.  
Equip-Tip-ups However many are leagle on the lake? 3foot 4lbtest florocarbon leaders W/single short shank #6hooks
       -Good guality flasher unit
       -jig poles (once again leagle #)Assorted line (florocarbon) sizes from 4lb to 1lb
       - 12pk dark beer

I would set up a spread of tipups across all the depts of the narrows.  6" to 1' off the bottom.  I do not belive that these perch get to be 14" pluse by eating FWshrimp alone, these are also piscivor(fish eaters).   So I would have indigenous bait fish on the hooks.

I would then drill a series of holes from the middle of my set up headed South East (heading for those other humps along the "culvert"(hard to read) area of the lake.
Jig pole #1- 4lb test line with a 1/4 oz Hogger spoon in brass and glow with a minnow head on it.  #2- 2lb test line with a small glow dot and a spike of mousie on it.  I would jig from the bottom up using my flasher to adjust my depth to the fish.  I would continue to try different color combinations and sizes (looking for what the fish want.  
If I get a hot hole with the tipups I will jig that and look for other areas with that depth.  If I do not find the fish here.  I will slowly start to move my setup to the south east onto the shallower humps.  If that dosent work I will swing to the north trying deeper and deeper depths untill the fish are found.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2003, 08:32 AM »
Scott,

One Question.  Are we fishing early, mid, or late season?

Thanks
Trevor

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2003, 08:48 AM »
Ice! now go stand in the corner. ;D
Hopefully this won't count as my guess. You are,I assume, referring to catching through the ice. Not open water? Thanks.

From the time it caps with ice, until you can't walk on it, the pattern basically stays the same.
Scott,

One Question.  Are we fishing early, mid, or late season?

Thanks
Trevor

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2003, 10:19 AM »
I would start in the shallows along the weedline of the biggest flat, in this case to the west of Old Earl's Spot. I'd bang a bunch of holes along the outside weedline and set tip-ups (as many as legal) in the holes closest to to shore that don't cough up weeds when cut, to get them right on the weedline, and maybe 1 or 2 in any pocket void of weeds if available. Tip-ups would be baited with shiners on small trebles with flourocarbon leaders just off bottom. Then I'd start puching holes (lots of holes) straight out to deeper water and use a flasher and a small jigging Rapala tipped with mousies working my way out then back again until I find fish. Left with a grid pattern of holes looking like a big pegboard I'll know whether there were fish there or not!

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2003, 10:26 AM »
I'd look for flat with a soft bottom close to a good drop off start drilling holes and jigging my shearch lure. Jumbo's come to Daddy!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2003, 11:38 AM »
I would start at the boat landing because it's an easy access point and I'm on foot. Also it is a transition area of boulder, sand and rubble. I would drill holes (using my NM as a hand auger being it's shallow water and not to spook fish)working my way south down the drop off. I would backtrack and using my flasher check each hole. I would flip my Guide closed to let less light down the hole.I would start with a small perch colored Chubby Darter for three reasons. One perch are cannibals, two I've noticed jigging with this lure will draw them in and three I'm less likely to catch small dinks. I would use a light action rod with 4 lb. Berkley Micro Ice line. I would watch my FL-18 for any activity. If a hole shows activity I would then set up a deadstick rod with minnow a foot or so above the activity depth and continue jigging trying different lures such as a small airplane jig rigged inline with a small minnow. I would give each hole 10 minutes and if the perch are small or inactive move on. Next I would try the saddle area flat north of the ten foot hump. After that I would try the the area between the ten and fifteen foot humps.
My next move would be south and slightly west to work my way up the gradual drop off. I would work in the same fashion looking for activity on the flasher. There are submerged weeds in this area so I might switch to an ultra light rod and use a size 8 shrimpo (white) tipped with a spike and again use a deadstick rod with a minnow.
If I still haven't found the jumbos I would start working my way north/east drilling holes and scanning with the flasher. I would continue thru the eastern basin.
Working the lake using this method covers various depths, lures, bottom content and structure in a relatively short walking distance - as compared to the rest of the lake. If I find the perch are at a certain depth, in submerged weeds or suspended over a certain structure I will try and stay within that pattern.  
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2003, 12:04 PM »
Location:  I’ll take Old Earl’s spot.  In my experience, places like this get named for a reason.  Ignore the straights just south of the boat landing unless you want the bluegill and crappies.  Plus, I’m guessing this is where “Shanty town” pops up every year as soon as there’s enough ice.  Lot of people = lots of noise, and in gin water, that aint good.  Perch love big consistent depth flats, and the 20’ flat that Earl is on is perfect.  Start at the break to shallower water and work the entire inside turn.  If nothing, fire up the auger and check farther into the flat for transition areas from sand to gravel, gravel to rubble, etc.  I know there are perch on that flat somewhere.  Maybe not the jumbos you’re looking for, but I think it’s probably the best bet on the lake.

Equipment:  Ultra-light rod/reel combo spooled with 2#  Berkley ice line or 2# flourocarbon.  If I’m seeing fish on the Vex and not getting bit I’ll tie on a 4’ leader of 1# ice line.  If I get hit on a set-up, I’ll rig another rod exactly the same as the first and keep it handy or dead-stick it.  If a school moves in, I want another rig at the ready so I don’t waste time.

Bait:  All natural colors in clear water.  Black, white, and dark green would be my first three choices.  Jig choice would be an Arnold’s Fairy jig in black.  For bait I’d head hook a wiggler, through the torso up into the head so the tail is free to wave up and down as it is jigged.  Work the jig in short gentle “hops” to get the blades of the fairy jig waving.  Basically, you want your jig to do “jumping jacks” with the wiggler tail waving along behind.  This is the best impression of a freshwater shrimp I’ve found.  I’d keep the jig within 3’ of the bottom, but keep an eye on the flasher just in case something comes through higher.

There’s a bunch of other places I’d like to try, but that would be my starting poing.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

missfishylicious

« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2003, 12:35 PM »
ok first of all the statement that the patterns would stay the same through the entire season is poo poo but.

Since old earls spot would be crouded and therfore the fish would be spooked I would try just south of the bird houses.
I'd have my hubby punch about twenty holes just inside the weed beds in the morning in about 10' feet of water and go have lunch come back in a few hours when the fish have simmered down.
Then Ide put half a minnow on the end of a med sized spoon and drop it down just above the bottom jig it a few times then lay it down on the bottom and wait for a few minutes, for a fish to grab it if nothing happens I'd move to the next hole and keep that up all afternoon moveing from hole to hole as the fish moved or stopped bitting

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2003, 01:56 PM »
Not muhc of a perch fishermen...but ive got nothing to lose.... except my pride...

First i would take my vexilar and find the hump west of the culvert. I would set up tip ups on the egde of this hump while i jig around with a kastmaster or just watch with a live minnow. I would drill so many holes and if nothing was happening then i would move to the next hole....

Man that is one bad guess but a guess none the less....

Wait lemme add equiment,bait and technique:

Technique: Expirement! ;D

Equipment: Perch sweetheart plus outdoor rod from Thornebros. spooled with 3 lb. micro ice. LIke i mentioned above i would use a kast master and other assorment of small spoons.

Bait: Medium shiners or if the lake has an alewive population... alewives.

Terrible i know but at least i tried.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2003, 05:52 PM »
Ok, I’m no pro but here is how I approach an unfamiliar lake for perch.

Had a little trouble deciphering  the map, but here is what I normally do.  First I look for the largest flats adjacent to the main basin.   In this case I would find the flats with submergent vegetation as freshwater shrimp populations tend to be dense in the weeds.  These guys must eat lots to get that big.   I would begin punching holes as shallow as four to six feet, near the outer edge of the weeds.  If there is snow cover with limited light penetration  then the weeds will be thinner and  scattered.   Starting shallow  I drill holes 50 to 100 ft apart until I have holes over the deepest water in which I would expect to find perch.  In this case I wouldn’t go much deeper than 20 feet as I expect to find them shallow.  

Water is extremely clear so I would want to begin with a search lure of subtle color, nothing too flashy.   Perhaps a #2 jigging rap tipped  with a maggot on each tine of the treble or a small pinched off minnow head on the rear tine of the treble.  These perch are likely educated so 1 or 2 pound line might be in order.  A spoon with a small genz worm dropper might work well as the segmented body of the genz worm may serve to represent a scud.   If I find them looking and not taking, then I would go to a #8 demon or frostee tipped with a single maggot.  I spend about  five minutes jigging in each hole.  If I don’t mark anything I move to the next hole.  I continue moving progressively  deeper until I find biters.  As a last resort I would reach into the ice fly box and tie on a weighted #12 or #14 shrimp pattern in a subtle color such as gray, olive or brown.  I would jig it slowly, just off bottom.  I would not tip it with bait of any sort.

If after all this I still haven’t attracted any jumbos I would move beyond 20 feet to the deepest part of the lake.  Still no perch….time to chase Crappies….

Trevor

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2003, 08:02 PM »
Area;  1-West side center, north towards Arrowhead bay,
           2-Old Earls spot to the south west
           3-North bay south to the deepest point on the lake
           4-The Culvert to the south east
           5-South of the boat landing towards the Bird Houses
           6-Mikey's spot  or the Boat Houses

Depth; 10-35'
Bait; Live minnows, jigging Rapalas & Swedish pimples in silver/green or silver/blue combo...wax worms & spikes on varying colors & sizes of jigs (too numerous to name), perch eyes on jigs or pimples

Technique; MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!!!!
Assuming I was not able to get any reports and there's no one on the lake...I would pick an access point nearest to  my #1 location and start  in 10 fow. I will typically drill 2 holes 2-3' apart...drop a dead stick with minnow or spikes  and jig the other hole with a pimple/minnow combination. I'll close up the trap to get a look at the bottom structure  and activity...failing any encouraging action within 20 minutes or so, I'll move deeper by 5' and repeat the operation.

If I run into small class fish I move right away...no sense wasting time or bait

If I bump into the jumbos I'll do everything I can to jig em' up noting bottom structure and depth of activity

If the action is sporadic I may set out the tip downs in a 30 yard circle to take advantage of the roaming schools while dropping holes around the set and jigging. I always jig the tip down holes after I retrieve  a fish...most times there's more than one after a bait...they'll usually hit on the way down.

If there's a feed going on, I'l try switching to perch eyes on a bottom rig (small bell sinker with  2- #4 gold aberdeen hooks @ varying depths ...quick to the bottom and quick to retrieve)

When the area burns out...I move, move, move

Equipment;
MAP
Fish trap
Depth finder ( I don't own a VEX  Yet! I use my Hummingbird)
sounder
4.5" fin bor auger
30" UL spin with 2#fluorocarbon  (dead stick)
24" med. lt. spin with  6# green or fluorocarbon (jigging / pimples & rapalas)
24" lt. spin with 4#  (bottom rig)
24" UL bait cast 2-4# (small jigs/waxies/spikes)
12" shanty rod (sight fishing)
5 tip downs (3 with bottom rigs...2 with hook/splitshot for suspended baits)

The tricks I'll try are too numerous to mention...I change constantly when I get on fish...for searching I generally stay pretty much to the routine as described above.

A really fun Idea Scott! Thanks,
RGFIXIT

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline hollywood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2003, 08:59 PM »
I'll take the 30' flat real close to the 10' humps on the east side. One pole with 4# flourocarbon & a jigging rapala or castmaster/sdish pimple fished about 3' off bottom-tipped with a whole live minnow. Other pole with 2# flourocarbon & a #12 Rat finkee tipped with 1 mousee fished from right on bottom to just under my attractor set-up. I'll also keep a close eye on the vexilar as perch this size often cruise from 10-15 feet up if there's bait to be found there-if I see marks high I'll pull the attractor rig thru them & slowly keep raising it to get them to follow. I've had large schools of jumbo's camp out right under my feet over 36' fow doing this. If the fish are neutral or the primary forage is near the bottom I'll concentrate on teasing them off the bottom, Catching most on the Rat finkee & a few on the big stuff. It's the big stuff that gets the attention in that big flat though & with the clear water I'll be watching any hooked fish carefully as I bring it up-quite often the school willfollow & hang up suspended-I'll go after these by raising the attractor rig just over them while trying to drop the small stuff as fast as I can. If all else fails- I'll go follow the oldest fart with the best tan!   Tom

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2003, 09:57 PM »
Forget the perch, where's this lake?  It looks awfully nice, even more so with the bottom contours given and some of the stumps and boulders marked.
t'pup!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2003, 07:18 AM »
Scott
I don't know whats up but every time I try to bring up the picture of the map I get a forbiden message that I don't have permission on server
Cold Feet

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2003, 07:51 AM »
Cold Feet
That happened to me also.
Try logging off and back onto the website.
Worked for me  ???
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2003, 08:08 AM »
Try this link... I'll let the perch search run until Monday in case it didn't work for more ppl. Let me know if it still don't work.

Map

-Scott

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2003, 09:42 AM »
Well, first of all, I wouldn't waste my time fishing shallow, true jumbos spend very little time shallow, only to spawn, and I'm pretending I'm fishing midwinter conditions....

That being said, I'm out there with my Fl-18, fishtrap, lazermag, etc.  My standard perching procedure is to drill a hole sequence, looking for transitions, bottom content changes, and slight variations in the basin.  Jumbos tend to really key on those areas, and if you can find an edge, they will follow it.  I would find the base of the east basin, that looks the perchiest to me, and look for the transition zone, be it sand/gravel transitioning to muck or marl, or what have you.  You note the presence of scuds (shrimp), so sandgrass maybe?  I drill 3-5 holes at a time, fish them all, hali spoons and 1/4 ounce buckshot rattle spoons with a dropper.  If they are finicky, I'm moving to a hanger rig and ratfinkee.  Bait of choice is spikes and pinhead minnows, rosie reds if they have them in your neck of the woods.  No tipups or deadsticks, that takes too much time and limits mobility.  Perch move, you need to move with them.   Hook a perch?  Note the direction the line runs in the hole - that gives you a clue where  to drill your next sequence of holes.  If I find smaller fish, I'm likely to make a larger move, perch school by size.  If the fish are active, I might move to a W2 jigging rap in perch, tipped with 2-5 spikes or a minnow head.  All in all, the bottom line is basin oriented, and you are looking for transition zones and any little bumps or humps that will give the perch something different, and edge to key on.  Find those, and you will find the fish.  

Dark_Cloud

« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2003, 09:42 AM »
I second Tonys responce, except at about noon we are gonna fire up some food. Appitizers will be a tray of cheese, crackers and venison summer sausage. Two kinds of cheese, a super sharp chedder and some hot pepper. Main course will be some kielbasi flavored venison hotdogs/brats sauteed in pepers onions and butter. Some deepfried walleye or perch fillets round out the main course. Desert is probably gonna be moms homemade leftover christmas cookies. Coffee, soda, Labatts blue LT, or maybe a very small brewery from New Ulm MN that makes Hauenstien beer will be in appearence too. A nap on top of the polaris sometimes follows the feeding frenzy....

CNY_Tim

« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2003, 01:50 PM »
I second that! A pre-ice cookout with the RKG you kidding me I'm there. Fryer and a big bib, man can we eat...  Tony - van sounded great just got back from the Manor checked out some of the ice gear.  It sounded great... quiet and no raps from the valves - still have my fingers crossed.  The key to perch fishing is finding flats and moving.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2003, 03:37 PM »
Scott
Tried your map and all taht came up was a red x and no picture even went to fist post and red x I clicked on the x and nothing
Cold Feet

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2003, 09:45 PM »
Cold feet I sent you the map in an email :'(

Scott
Tried your map and all taht came up was a red x and no picture even went to fist post and red x I clicked on the x and nothing
Cold Feet

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2003, 05:22 PM »
I would work the the east side of the lake at the "Boat Houses". Using my Vexilar I'm looking for the steep drop offs at 20 to 25 foot level leading to the flats. I'd start by setting up one tip-up with a minnow on a #8 hook and split shot about 6 inches off the bottom. Then I'd drill two holes on each side of that one, two deeper (30 feet)and two shallower (15 feet) so I can locate the larger fish. I'd drop the aqua view down to see what (if any) vegetation existed and work that first area with a #6 Lime Chartreuse/Glow Brite demon perch eye lure tipped with a minnow head. I have found that the larger perch seem to like a lift and drop presentation with the Demon and every third or fourth drop I will hit the bottom to get their attention. I'd use two pound test Berkley Ice Mono tied directly to the jig and keep my bait close to the bottom until either the tip up flagged or I hit the fish I am looking for.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2003, 08:35 PM »
My first spot to try would be off the boat launch in 20fow north east of the 2 humps if the Perch are moving between the 2 deep areas this would funnel them through the 2 humps Keeping them in deep water away from preditors, then I would move deeper east drilling holes to the basin in 38fow if no big jumbos I'd move to the west area past the humps sticking to 20fow or deeper. if still no jumbos I'd move north in the western basin area to the areas that the bottom rises slowly to 15fow this would be a good spring area with a gradual bottom riseing to a weeded shoreline and sense the north end of lakes warm faster this would be a good last ice area for prespawn As far as lures Id start with a 1" Sweedish Pimple with a droppper to a Purist or shrimpo by Custom Jigs in a color of orange or hot pink tipped with a spike. Bouncing it on bottom to attract the fish if no hits switch to a Marmooska jig or the Genz worm 2lb Seaguar Floro. on my new StCroix 28ul with my Quick ul spinning reals After I got a few jumbos I'd rig a couple tipups and minnow rigs on 6lb Seaguar Floro. With 4lb Seaguar Floro. leader with a no.10 trebble hook with a 1/4 oz split shot about 2ft above the hook, set 6" to 1ft above bottom. Putting tipups in earlier is only a waist of time you have to move to find fish. If 2 rods are alowwed I'd have a 2nd dead stick rod rigged with a 1/8oz bell sinker and a couple small jigs or tear drops Electronics are a must, if you see fish that have no intrest in your offering try something else. Still no luck move. Make sure you have diffrent baits spikes mousies oak leaf grubs minnows and something I saw at Wallmart the other day Grass Shrimp in a bag. Don't know if they will work but worth a try. Get their early and stay late. the later bite is almost always the best. Fish hard and fast and be mobile.
And again thanks Scott it works fine now
Cold Feet

byronsbait.com

« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2003, 06:10 AM »
So, if Tony B gets first place, can I get second by agreeing with him?? ;D
All jokeing aside, I'd probaly do the same as he would................. ............

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 24, 2003, 12:41 AM »
For a lake this clear, I'd start deep along the  25 breakline searching the area NE of the bird houses with my flasher.  I choose this area because there is deep water sanctuary close by and also lots of shallow water structure nearby, magnets for bait fish.  Once I mark fish, I'll have an ultralight HT jigging rod with a size 8 fat boy glow orange rigged in tandem with a size 10 Marmooska jig in orange, all tipped with 2 or more maggots on 1 lb. test.  Even the most finicky perch will hit this rig.  After catching a few fish, I can determine if these are the size fish to target.  If the aren't, then I'll cut holes in an easterly direction until I get to 30', then repeat the process above.  If I'm catching the same size fish, then I move deeper a few feet in the same direction, like 33 feet along the last subtle break of that basin.  If the fish are real aggressive, I may abondon the bait and fish soft plastics to save time and catch more.  If the fish are less aggressive, I'll downsize to 2 tandem size 12 Marmooskas tipped with one maggot.  I won't spend too much time jigging for finicky biters though, if they won't hit soon, I'll move again.  The key is to keep moving until you locate the ones that you want, then determine the best pattern adapting to what they've responded to already one way or the other.  If I stop getting bites, then I'll move again when the bite slows.  I'll look for similar structure that I've been fishing all along.  If I've been on fish, then I'll open an area up of the same structure and bounce from hole to hole.  The fish on that I've iced remind me of the better holes, and I'll go back and check them time and again throughout the day.

Other factors may dictate the depths that I fish.  If it's cloudy, I may fish the 20' flats close to structure and deep water sanctuary.  If it's sunny, I'll stay over deeper water.  Wind also plays a role, forcing me to use more weight.  If I want to fish the micro sized jigs, then I'll use a slip dropper for added flash, attraction, and to load my rod tip in the wind.  I'd rather not use that rig if I don't have to because smaller jigs have much more appealing fall because they are light.

More importantly, around lunchtime, I'll make sure to cut some holes near Dark Cloud and trade him a few jigs for some eats! ;D
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
Ice Fishing 101.2 -Perch Search Winners
« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2003, 07:56 PM »
Sorry for the delay... been hunting hard. I finally got Pete to read the entries in the tree stand. ;D We haven't gotten our bucks yet, we each have seen one buck a piece, just not big enough. Hunting season sure has been a bear this year with the rain and wind but at least it’s getting colder!

First off I want to say that any one of you could have gone out there and caught some jumbo perchies. One thing about fishing, is you have to be open minded. Fish will do things you cannot expect.

Pete and I have been fishing this lake for a number of years but most of my knowledege of Lake Perchusgiganticus comes from connections to a group of perch masters that hammer this lake all winter and have been for decades. Probably the most important thing is, I also know Old Earl and I know him pretty darn good ;).  He has fished and lived on the lake for over 30 years, and he sees all. I can't get away with anything on him :D.

Pete and I both picked Kerosene for the winner right off the bat. Flats are the key on this lake. The largest flats are in the 20-25 depth range. The magic depth on this lake is 23-24 feet, you'll have your best bet by searching a few feet either way of that zone in the largest flats. Best bait for the big ones has always been wigglers, spikes and mousies in that order. On this lake for some reason it’s nearly imposible to catch perch on a minnow.  Jig size, type, and color, they aren’t to particluar about. Anything under 3lb test line, will do except on the tough days. There were a bunch of great entries, the decision was a tough one. :'(

1st Kerosenecounty17

Location:  I’ll take Old Earl’s spot.  In my experience, places like this get named for a reason.  Ignore the straights just south of the boat landing unless you want the bluegill and crappies.  Plus, I’m guessing this is where “Shanty town” pops up every year as soon as there’s enough ice.  Lot of people = lots of noise, and in gin water, that aint good.  Perch love big consistent depth flats, and the 20’ flat that Earl is on is perfect.

2nd Rgfixit

Technique; MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!!!!

If I run into small class fish I move right away...no sense wasting time or bait

3rd Fat Boy

If I stop getting bites, then I'll move again when the bite slows.  I'll look for similar structure that I've been fishing all along.  If I've been on fish, then I'll open an area up of the same structure and bounce from hole to hole.  The fish on that I've iced remind me of the better holes, and I'll go back and check them time and again throughout the day.

Who would we fish with?

Big Pete said he would fish with Dark Cloud, if they didn't catch any fish at least they would eat good! Myself? I would fish with Kerosene, we got a good chance of getting into some of those jumbo perch!

Winners please IM with your address.
Hope everyone had some fun. :'(

Scott

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 25, 2003, 08:00 PM »
Congrats to the winners...that was Fun!

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 25, 2003, 08:23 PM »
Congrats guys.  We definitely have to keep doing this, was a blast...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.