Author Topic: Getting a hole in the ice  (Read 18347 times)

TwoNewToIce

Getting a hole in the ice
« on: Jan 15, 2002, 08:29 AM »
     I am curious as to different techniques any of you may have used to put holes in ice...
     I am not sure if I can use an auger due to problems with my shoulders...hopefully I will meet someone on the ice who owns one that I might try...
     Most of the guys I've seen ( only one day on the ice...01/06...no ice since then here in South Jerzy ) were using a hand axe or claw hammer
with a chissel...out of the question for me...
     I'm wondering how much effort it takes with a longer chissel...refered to as a " SPUD " ?
     It was suggested to me to use my drill and an old wood auger bit ( left over from my birdhouse building days ), to outline the intended fishing hole with 1" holes, and then remove the " PLUG " that results.
     I had received one response to the original posting, but had the entry in the wrong section on this web-site, so I am once again asking for any input...
     My portable drill has a 6 volt battery and my auger bit is 1 + 1/8 "...so, I am wondering if this is sufficient to make two holes in the ice, one for my daughter and one for myself...
     Thanks for your support..."2new2ice".    

Offline trapperjon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard Water-Happy
Re: " Hole " Question....Repost....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2002, 09:01 AM »
Ralph, A good sharp auger takes far less effort than any other ice cutting device. Unless you are fortunate enough to fish on monday's after every weekend warrior has cut holes all over the ice for you. Check out one of the Lazer augers that are available, they cut through a bunch of ice with very little effort. Spuds can be lost easily, hatchets will make you wonder, Chain saws will scare the fish. Size is up to you 7-8" for pike, trout, 4-6" for panfish.

Good Luck&Tight Lines   Jon V.;)
40 yrs. And still on an ice fishin' mission!

Ralph and Mary Alison

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2002, 12:01 PM »
    Dear Jon...Thanks for the advice...I have looked at a few augers on the internet, and they look as though I shouldn't have too much trouble using one...but, I'm not sure...
    The question I would have now is whether there is a substantial difference in the effort you need to put into cutting a 4" hole compared with an 8" hole...( We could certainly get by with the 4" in our persuit of panfish and the 11" stocked Trout in our local pond...Tho, we would eventually want to venture out and attempt the Crappie or Bass...and maybe a 6" diameter would be better...? )
    BUT, I am really CONCERNED about the EFFORT that must be used in both PUSHING down on the top handle?...and in TURNING the lower handle?...  I imagine that these would be the mechanics involved, and where your energy needs to be exerted ?
    PLEASE...ANYONE who reads this, let me know what it is like for you...I really do appreciate it.  
    Oh yea, one other one...I read somewhere that some fishermen simply throw out their auger each year in favor of a new one , rather than go through the hassel of re-sharpening the tool ?  Is it that difficult of an operation ?
    AND...saw the LAZER and the MORA line...Is there any recommendations here ?
    Thanks...2new2ice.

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2002, 12:18 PM »
Ralph, did you take a look at the strikemaster electra lazer 12000.This auger only weighs 16lbs. with a 6in. bit and will run from any portable 12 volt power source. This looks like a great alternative for you in your situation. You can go to http://www.strikemaster.com and take a look at it. There is also a quick video you can download. Hope this helps you out, take care. Shawn

Keebo

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2002, 01:11 PM »
Ralph and Mary Alison: If you have trouble with your shoulders I would stay away from a spud. If you want a light wieght easy to use auger, Cabelas has one. They call it the High Velocity Hand Auger. My friend just bought one and I tried it out on 6" of black ice, its awesome. It takes very little effort to turn it and it also pulls itself into the ice. I wouldn't recommend chain saws, hatchets, chisels or battery drills with wood bits, its pretty tough using those devices especially if the ice is 14" or more thick. Good luck and titelines.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2002, 01:16 PM »
Ralph no icefishermen I know throws out the auger
each year-they replace or resharpen the blades(removable).You are right the smaller the cutting diameter of the auger the easier it is to cut.I personally prefer a 5" hand auger(lazer)and an 81/4" power auger(mag 2000).As for power exerted on the hand auger it is not that much downward force.The blades are cutting as you rotate the handle and the ice is being pushed up by the flutes.Hope this helps, Doug >))))>
Those who are brave are free ..

TwoNewToIce

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2002, 09:38 AM »
    Hey Guys...Thanks for the input...
Yea LoneWolf...I must have read that they "throw" out the 'BLADES' pretty often...thought I'd read that on this web-site somewhere...?
    SHAWN...what can I say...that '12000' looks like just the "ticket", however, they didn't post the PRICE...anywhere!...and I'm almost afraid to find out!...The only other drawback would be the HAULING of the battery...
    I don't imagine I'll be dealing with ice any thicker than 6" or so, but the LAZER series does come recommended by most of you...In the literature I just read, they (including the Mora) are the only (or best) brand of blades to go thru re-frozen holes...true? [Reeds-No Shipping Charge]
    PLEASE KEEP THE INFO COMING...Especially a price on the Strikemaster 12000...and any ideas on obtaining and/or moving a battery...
    Hopefully I will get the chance to try someone's auger on the ice sometime soon...
    Thanks again for helping keep me busy while I wait for the ice to get started here...2new...

THERE GOES A BUCKET OF WATER ON THE FIRE OF MY DESIRE...THE STRIKEMASTER 12000 COSTS $244.00 AND THAT IS WITHOUT SHIPPING...ANOTHER $25.00...SO...
    PLEASE KEEP THOSE CARDS AND LETTERS COMING !

Last modification: Ralph and Mary Alison - 01/17/02 at 13:38:40

grizz

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2002, 05:08 AM »
:)Ralph, there's always dinomite you could use if you can throw. Makes a nice hole and does the fishing for you also, all you have to do is pick up the fish. JUST KIDDING!!! thought I'd lighten your day.
Grizz

TwoNewToIce

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2002, 05:57 AM »
    Hey Grizz...Stop!...I'm gonna bust a gut...

Offline Russellman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2002, 10:54 AM »
Ralph,  I've got a Strikemaster Lazer handtwist that I love (8" diameter).  I've got a buddy with a Mora (also 8") that he is in love with.  Both feature height adjustable handles so that you can use your body weight as the downward force.  
As others have mentioned, the twisting force is the where the real effort comes in. I've used mine in 22-24" of ice and managed to get all five holes bored in a reasonable time frame.

Don't worry too much about the blades wearing out.  I'm on my fourth season with the original issue blades, and I'm not in any hurry to replace them because they cut like crazy.  Keep them covered when not in use to prevent dings or burrs from forming, and let them dry out to prevent rust from forming during storage.  

For price & ease of transport concerns, either the Lazer or the Mora should fit the bill just fine.  Hope that this info helps.
Russellman

Keebo

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2002, 03:45 PM »
Ralph: I own a 7" Mora, which I drilled what seems like a million holes with. I also own a gas Lazer that I use when the ice is thick. I probably wouldn't have bought either one if I knew that Cabelas has the Nils auger made by Rapala. I tried out my friends 6" Nils and it out cut my Mora, with much less exertion. Nils claims it will out cut a gas auger up to 20" of ice and I believe it. Regarding auger blades, I replace mine every season, Mora blades are 12 bucks at Gander. Also you may want to check out the forum at www.upnorthoutdoors.co m, the guys there eat and sleep ice fishing and they know a lot.

EBuzz

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2002, 06:44 AM »
Hey Ralph, When drilling a hole in the ice with a hand auger, the smaller the hole the easier it goes. Also stay away for old froze over holes. Hard to drill & hard on blades. As for blade shapening, here in Wisconsin some local bait shops offer a drop & swap program for sharp blades.Usally about 1/2 price from new ones. Or there are some nice little blade sharpeners out there for under $10. If $ not a factor I would go with a Gas powered auger. If not, I have had a 8" Mora 25 yrs & still like the way it performs in thin ice situations. But for any thing over 6" you can't beat a power auger. I own a 8" Eskimo gasser, made here in NW Wisconsin for about $200 new, but there's always some old timer moving to warmer waters who will sell his ice equipment at a garage sale. Hope this helped you. Always great to hear someone interested in hard water angling.
It's a great way to spend the winter.
Good luck, The Walleyehunter

Thomas

« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2002, 08:11 AM »
I have a mora 8" hand auger I really love it the only thing I I found out is if you put to much pressure on it hangs up abit. I have never used a smaller size but imagion it would be a lot easier

Kevin Wilson

« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2002, 02:24 PM »
Ralph, I used to own a blue Mora 4" hand auger and it was difficult to use and the blades needed replacement each year.  I gave that auger away and bought s Strikemaster Lazer 6" hand auger and in 5 years have only replaced the blades once after the first year (the only reason that I had to replace them is because I drilled a hole through the ice 20 yards offshore and found a hump 2" under the ice surrounded by 20 feet of water - gravel chews up any blade).  This auger cuts through the ice like butter.  There are a core of 6 us that go as much as possible and each of us owns this auger and love it.  It retails for about $50.  With minimal effort, 10 cranks, I'm through 5" of black.  I've cut over 100 holes in one day looking for active fish, while I've seen others have trouble cutting one hole with those old blue augers.  The secret is in the angle of the blade.  I have had no trouble cutting through old holes either.  The  best option (but most expensive one) would be the Strikemaster Lazer electric or gas augers.  Also, if you get tired cutting holes, sometimes you can simply poke one through with you ice scooper or mash one with your heel, or use holes vacated by others.  This can also be productive.  I usually jig fish, so when I see people leave to go home that have been fishing tip ups all day, I check out their holes with my finder and sometimes find active fish attracted to the minnows or bait that they used.  The fish may not have hit their offerings, but sometimes something different does.  Anyway, good luck and hope you get some ice soon.  Check out the PA State Parks website for ice conditions.  The Pocono's may be your best bet.

steve_of_iowa

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2002, 08:49 AM »
The 4 lazer will go through the ice pretty easy.I also believe most people out on the ice would be more than happy to drill ya a few holes,most of the icefishermen I meet on the lakes are good people that would be eager to help out. good fishing  steve8)

PIKEman

« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2002, 02:10 PM »
Ralph, what most people have been saying is true, the strikemaster hand auger's are great i have a  8" but i would recomend a 6" the 8" is noticably harder to drill with... if you were looking to purchase a gas drill id say stay away from lazer there blades are very costly i would recomend Jiffy, they are a local company here i nwisconsin and ive been pleased with there performance for years... i rebuit the choke assambley on mine though, not to my liking, but hey noones design is ever perfect... let me now if youve bought something and how you like.. remember, dont get cought with your stick on the ice :)

PIKEman

PIKEman

« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2002, 02:15 PM »
one other thing i forgot to say that others touched on, stay away from the spud, or ice bar works great on thin ice but i would not like putting a hole trough 12* inches of ice.. and as far as the tnt thats great!! though you might want to check your local explosion laws first lol

TwoNewToIce

« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2002, 07:25 AM »
    OK OK OK...YOU'VE CONVINCED ME...ICE FISHERMEN ALL HAVE AN OPINION...AND QUITE OFTEN IT'S UNANIMOUS...
    I'm not sure that M.A. and I will get a second day on the ice this year, as there is still NO ice down here...but, we certainly will continue our favorite sport into the spring rather than waiting for it...
    I wish I could have tried-out an auger or two this year, but you guys have pretty much convinced me that I can handle one...
    It's obvious we don't get much ice so... gas powered is out, the 'lectric is too expensive for this newbie (maybe if we start chasing fish later)
    I've checked, and for both the fishing or the making of holes, the dynomite would be illegal, unless I had a special permit or something...
    If I even attempted a spud, I wouldn't be able to pick up a 5 ounce jigging pole...so it's got to be the hand auger...
    And I have the whole "off" season to procrastinate it's purchase...
    I now know we will only need a 4-5 inch hole for our panfishing...no need for me to over-exert.
    Seems as though the laser has the most reccomendations, however, I have heard quite a bit abou the NILS---HIGH VELOCITY, from you Mike, as well as, a few different retailers...
    Maybe I'll flip a coin...heads---one, tails---the other, and if it lands on the edge, I'll ask someone else to keep drilling our holes for us...!
    Appreciate all the input...And am still open to suggestions...Wished We Fished (on ice)...

Keebo

« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2002, 10:33 PM »
Ralph and Mary: I talked myself into the 6" Nils and ordered it yesterday from Cabelas. My trusty Mora 7" is going to a buddy and the Lazer gas will only come out if the ice is over a foot. I always try to upgrade my stuff and until the Nils was available my Mora worked great, Ive had it for over 25 years. Every year we'd take the cub scout troop ice fishing and those kids would drill a million holes with it. But the Nils cuts so much easier, I tried my friends out and couldnt believe how much easier it was to turn than my Mora. And even though my Mora is 7" and cuts more ice than a 6" Nils, My friend had 5 holes in while I was working on my third. He retired his hand Lazer. One word of caution, always put the blade cover over the blades they are razor sharp. I buddy slipped on the ice and hit the auger that was laying on the ice and he cut a slash in his packs. Also it keeps the blades from getting dull. Usually I drill the auger into the ice so it stands up, but becareful doing that too, the auger can freeze into the hole and can be a bear to get out.

Keebo

« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2002, 11:15 PM »
Ralph and Mary: It is the High Velocity. Its on page 135 in the Cabelas 2001 Christmas catalog. The 6" is $79.99, the cat. order # is MB-11-5630-006-6". Youre making a good choice, it will probably be the last auger you will need to buy. There is a website that offers exchange blades but I dont have it now, when I get it i'll pass it along. TITELINES..

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2002, 03:24 AM »
I wanted to make one point on the Velocity auger-
they do not have replacement blades.The head (with
cutting edge)is replaceable(about $40)and nobody seems to know if you can resharpen the head!
Those who are brave are free ..

crappie_hunter

« Reply #21 on: Jul 26, 2002, 07:43 PM »
i have a 6inch mora i bought it for around $30 and i can drill through 6-7inches of ice asfast as my friend can with his gas auger boy was he surprised but my mora drills realy easy another friend of mine has a lazer hand auger and it is a little nicer but the mora is cheaper and works great

Karl S

« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2002, 05:45 PM »
I guess I'm going to be the odd man out here. For relatively thin ice (less than 7 inches) I would rather use a chisel or spud. As long as it's sharp, you can just use small drops and get a hole through without much effort. Just use a circular pattern starting out the hole. Easier to take on the ice if you're walking too. Make sure you have a rope attached to it. And also make sure you don't leave any jagged ice on the bottom of the hole to cut/pinch your line.

For thicker ice, I like an 8 inch strikemaster. Like others have said - more work than the smaller diameter augers though. I had a 12 volt electric strikemaster also (8 inch) that worked great as long as you could drive your car to where you want your holes drilled. Hauling/walking a heavy battery on the ice wouldn't be much fun.

The other folks have good suggestions. The key for an auger is fresh/sharp blades. They cut great without much effort. Just take breaks! One thing I don't like about augers is that they'll get real heavy on cold days because of water freezing on them if you have to drill several holes while searching. Not much of a problem when the temperature is well above zero though. Good luck.    

oakorchardfishking

Re: Getting a hole in the ice
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2003, 03:31 PM »
try one of the new strikemasters with the triple blade system, you be through the ice like a hot knife in butter! ;D

tomf

« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2003, 07:29 AM »
I just bought a Nils 4 1/2 inch auger yesterday.  It is so easy to drill holes that my 2 yr old daughter could drill them if I held her up to the handle!  You might think that 4 1/2 is too small, but I havent had any problems.  Drilled a dozen hole in less than 5 seconds per hole! Tony B on this site sells the Nils for $60 and knows all of the details.

Offline wiggie116

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2003, 04:27 AM »
Ralph, i used a 4inch the other day, it went through the ice like butter, and we are drilling through 30 inches ice. My bud just pick it up the other day for pan fishing, it's a swedish made. It's a little expensive, but it's worth the $$$$, i don't know the brand but when i find out i'll post back!!
:'(
MAW

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 24, 2003, 03:21 AM »
I use a Mora 8" and it cuts like butter.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Cold as Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Getting a hole in the ice
« Reply #27 on: Oct 01, 2003, 04:20 PM »
Ill tell ya, be careful with those spud bars. I was out on the ice last year and I use a jiffy gas auger, but I seen this guy chipping his holes, I walked up to him and asked him if hed like to use my auger . He said sure and started drilling his holes. While he was driling I decided to try chipping a hole in the ice just to see how hard it was just as soon as i broke through the ice, whomp.. the spud fell right through the ice luckly the guy was a good sport about it, he said he could make another on at his work :'( :'(
Ken.

missfishylicious

« Reply #28 on: Oct 02, 2003, 05:39 AM »
My friend scuba dives in oneida lake he said it looks like a forest down there this was back before most people had power augers the new ones come with a strap to put around your wrist good idea don't feel bad happens all the time ;)

acsacmboy

« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2003, 09:33 PM »
[size=25]12 GAUGE 3.5 INCH MAGNUM :D :D[/size]

you remove 2 times as much ice witha 8inch blade than a 6inch.  just some trivia for you guy and gals out there ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.