The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: spud bar  (Read 8206 times)

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: spud bar
« Reply #30 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:03 PM »

Another general rule I go by when testing early ice is with my spud (your's may be different-disclaimer) will penetrate about 2 1/2 inches of good ice.  If the spud goes through first crack, I back out very gently. On new ice I test the ice thickness with a healthy whack every couple of steps. Others may have other suitable methods too.

this is exactly what I was looking for. 

Thank you
Don

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:41 PM »
Bless the newbie who keeps the sport alive and witnesses us old timers so we maintain an air of mystical reverance. ..........sorry I got all taken up with myself.
Thread killer

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Bless the newbie who keeps the sport alive and witnesses us old timers so we maintain an air of mystical reverance. ..........sorry I got all taken up with myself.

spud newbie,  been ice fishin for 30+ now.  ;)
Don

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:24 PM »
I have been using a spud bar for the last 2 weeks.  For me its faster, and lighter, then my Jiffy 30 in the 6" of ice I have been fishing.  Here soon I will be moving on to Jiffy.  Been looking at getting a Nils for this early ice.  I am pretty sure that Ace here in Laramie has them.  I will look around and let you know.  I think 2.5" per whack is a fair estimate.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:32 PM »
I have been using a spud bar for the last 2 weeks.  For me its faster, and lighter, then my Jiffy 30 in the 6" of ice I have been fishing.  Here soon I will be moving on to Jiffy.  Been looking at getting a Nils for this early ice.  I am pretty sure that Ace here in Laramie has them.  I will look around and let you know.  I think 2.5" per whack is a fair estimate.
One wouldn't want to be off on their whack!
Thread killer

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:37 PM »
One wouldn't want to be off on their whack!

Especially if they are a whack job!!   ;) ;D ;D

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:40 PM »
Especially if they are a whack job!!   ;) ;D ;D
I could continue humorous quips but the mods may not appreciate it.
Thread killer

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 01, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Check Murdochs in Casper, Big R in Riverton or Hasco Industrial Supply. Are you a farmer Jopes? ??? because that's farmer rod.  ;D

Hey now! Most of the pipelines in service in this country were welded with 6010 and 7010. I've done a bit of that...

6013 is farmer rod.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #38 on: Dec 01, 2010, 02:15 PM »
Ya, getting my Grandpa and Dad to use another kind of rod was like pulling hens teeth.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

rickl1968

« Reply #39 on: Dec 01, 2010, 02:26 PM »
I used a piece of 1" gas pipe with the rubber coating on it and had a buddy weld a large washer on one end for the "rope" handle and a piece of hardened steel on the other end shapened to a angle. i stipped off the rubber coating 6' up either side so it wouldn't burn while welding it.
The best and cheapest spud bar I've owned, going on 8 years now (yep...the same one). The trick is always use the rope around your wrist, ALWAYS.

Offline hammerhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:35 PM »
I made mine by cutting and crimping and then welding a piece of 1 1/2 inch pipe around a piece of 3/4 inch x 3inch wide flat for the blade.the pipe is only about 8" long and is a ferrel that I put a lodgepole pine handle in. The pine handle started life about 6 feet long, and I always figured it would be real useful if I ever went for a swim. The handle is shorter now because I have an ice house.

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:40 PM »
my brother inlaw made one from an old axle shaft. heavy duty.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline sgpitman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 03, 2010, 11:38 PM »
Ok, I bought 1 from sportsmans warehouse today. Thanka guys for all the help.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.