New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Last Fishing Trip Of The Season In The Adirondacks (can you identify this fish?)  (Read 4233 times)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Went for my last fishing trip in the Adirondacks. Hooked onto a fish that I have no clue what it is! Also landed my last laker for the season!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The scale pattern and fins look like a carp.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
 fall fish also called a chub once I heard an ol trout fishermen call them rubber nose trout

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
150% fallfish
Go big or go home

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yup, Fallfish.  Great fighters on a fly rod.  Schroon River above the Lake is full with them.
Tony

Offline finsntins

• Team IceShanty Regular
I caght a fallfish long time ago in 7th lake.i had no idea what it was,there was a guy fishing on the other side of the road and asked him if he knew what it was and he told me it was a fallfish,i said o.k. and through it back,didnt give it any thought about the size,as I never had even heard of a fall fish..but it was around 3lbs or so.a few months later I just happen to come across an article about nys fish records and saw fall fish was only 1.5 lbs,now its up to 3lbs,oh well

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
that's a creek chub or  called  fall fish   .....you catch them alot in trout streams (they taste better then lakers) 

Offline Laker Taker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
It's a fallfish. But it's not the same thing as a creek chub. They are in the same genus but different species.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
that's a creek chub or  called  fall fish   .....you catch them alot in trout streams (they taste better then lakers) 

you eat them trapper . i catch lots of them in the river and some big ones to

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
mmmmm I don't eat them  nor lake trout   :roflmao:

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nice., was a pretty cool looking fish

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
150?   ;D

Maybe 151% Jon  ;) ;D

Lakertaker is right creek chubs have much smaller scales and more purple coloring and don't get as big as fallfish
Go big or go home

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pike bait...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
I was just telling  Freddie back in the day we would go to the creek catch a bunch of them  toss in a bait bucket then head to sage creek with a  big bobber and English hook for northerns .....or squeeze em till their eyes got big toss them on the bank and  feed the raccoons

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I fish them with a slide float for northers before ice up.  Good time for sure!

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
That is the last of the panfish left in Lock 7.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lot's of those fallfish on the Delaware....up to about 18 or 19 inches. We just call them chubs or stooges. They take flies readily, and sure do mess up the hackles with their soft slimy mouths. They fight good for about 5 seconds, then come in like a wet boot. The trout, walleye and bass love to feed on the young ones.
 Not sure if they are native to the Adirondack ponds...maybe some of you northern guys would know.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
That is the last of the panfish left in Lock 7.

You are not kidding...

Offline Fishmongerlyndon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lot's of those fallfish on the Delaware....up to about 18 or 19 inches. We just call them chubs or stooges. They take flies readily, and sure do mess up the hackles with their soft slimy mouths. They fight good for about 5 seconds, then come in like a wet boot. The trout, walleye and bass love to feed on the young ones.
 Not sure if they are native to the Adirondack ponds...maybe some of you northern guys would know.
Yup the Northeasts largest native minnow!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lol that is lock 7. It’s like a mile from my house. That fishing wasn’t on lock 7 tho it’s a small lake in The Adirondacks

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic

fall fish are native to the  northeast   heres a link you might  find  interesting .....I think anyone that fished as a kid had a stream they beat up on fall fish

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=SXeZWsSDG8vCzwLBtZXIBw&q=fallfish+range&oq=fallfish+range&gs_l=psy-ab.13..0.1365.21967.0.25381.15.14.0.0.0.0.146.1874.0j14.14.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.14.1868.0..35i39k1j0i131k1j0i20i264k1j0i131i20i264k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1j0i22i10i30k1.0.NFOIsZdfqU0

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
my favorite bait when i can get em

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
make good cut bait for catfish as well

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

Way back when people use to pickle them according to my gramps ,

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fall fish... have caught them up to almost 2lbs before. Those dang things hit anything.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That thing hit like a mean trout , marked it a few feet off the bottom took the bait up to it and it slammed it

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That thing hit like a mean trout , marked it a few feet off the bottom took the bait up to it and it slammed it

They are pretty aggressive. I have caught them on blade baits, spinnerbaits, suspending jerkbaits, flipping jigs, squarebill crankbaits and deep crankbaits.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Fall fish... have caught them up to almost 2lbs before. Those dang things hit anything.

Unless you are trying to collect them for bait!  Then they get shy!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Unless you are trying to collect them for bait!  Then they get shy!

I would imagine those things make fantastic BIG pike bait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.