Author Topic: first time flip over hut buyer..  (Read 2550 times)

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
first time flip over hut buyer..
« on: Oct 23, 2020, 04:19 PM »
I know there's a lot of threads on the subject and i've read for 2 weeks, but this is kind of my last stop before pulling the trigger..

I want a large 1 man hut or a small 2 man..best price I can get locally is the clam nanook XL..it seems to fit the bill of what I want..I have a large hub for the family but want something for when i'm alone or with my kid/gf and we want to move..it would mainly be a 1 seater 1 man for myself..the Otters look nice but they are about 1.5x the cost here so they kind of priced themselves out of my budget..the eskimo 2600 is in the ballpark but again 200$ more than the clam and quality seems on par..

Does anyone have any advice, negative or positive suggestions? I'd be getting the package deal (runners, tow bar, cover) for any hut that I buy..Appreciate the help..

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: first time flip over hut buyer..
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2020, 05:48 PM »
I use a clam pro ,not made anymore but similar ones with different name. Sometimes you can find good used ones on FB market place

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2020, 07:25 PM »
I use a clam pro ,not made anymore but similar ones with different name. Sometimes you can find good used ones on FB market place

yeah I look quite a bit and find some smaller kenai's and older fish traps but nothing large enough..you been happy with it? is the tub strong enough to tow behind a snowmobile? any issues rattling bolts out etc on long trips if you have done it?

Offline helimpd124

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2020, 07:49 PM »
I was in the same boat and landed on an Eskimo Sierra thermal. It's small enough that it's not chore to load by myself, but large enough that I can fish with a buddy and not be cramped.

Offline tm37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2020, 07:52 PM »
I was in the same boat and landed on an Eskimo Sierra thermal. It's small enough that it's not chore to load by myself, but large enough that I can fish with a buddy and not be cramped.

This is what I went with, ran it pretty hard last year and am pretty happy with it

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2020, 08:13 PM »

I should have gotten that instead of a 1 man!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2020, 08:16 PM »
I know there's a lot of threads on the subject and i've read for 2 weeks, but this is kind of my last stop before pulling the trigger..

I want a large 1 man hut or a small 2 man..best price I can get locally is the clam nanook XL..it seems to fit the bill of what I want..I have a large hub for the family but want something for when i'm alone or with my kid/gf and we want to move..it would mainly be a 1 seater 1 man for myself..the Otters look nice but they are about 1.5x the cost here so they kind of priced themselves out of my budget..the eskimo 2600 is in the ballpark but again 200$ more than the clam and quality seems on par..

Does anyone have any advice, negative or positive suggestions? I'd be getting the package deal (runners, tow bar, cover) for any hut that I buy..Appreciate the help..

Quality in this order.

Otter
Eskimo
Clam.

Clam has improved a bit the last few years. They were selling a absolute junk for high prices/profits for a number of years. So I’ve moved away from Clam.

I got myself a one man eskimo inferno been very happy with it.

I would go eskimo or otter.

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2020, 08:53 PM »
Awesome thanks guys.. The sierra thermal was on my radar but I can't find it up here in Canada.. The new 2600 is heavier and more expensive.. I guess I'll keep trying.. The sierra looked real nice..

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2020, 10:55 PM »
Awesome thanks guys.. The sierra thermal was on my radar but I can't find it up here in Canada.. The new 2600 is heavier and more expensive.. I guess I'll keep trying.. The sierra looked real nice..

One of my buddy's has the Sierra thermal. Honestly, he treats it like crap, but it's held up really really well. It's a small two-man, but I fished in it with him, he's a big guy, and it was roomy enough for us. Pretty light really for a two man insulated flip.

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:50 PM »
I looked at the 2600 , i thought it looked really well made for Eskimo.  The seats was comfortable , i liked the Zip up window covers and thought it looked better Quality than my 9416i that i bought a couple years ago which I've had no problems with . It also seemed really roomy for 2 people.  The otters are really nice ...... but the 2600 is more in my price range , and one will eventually replace my Frabill . Most of the time my wife and kids are with me , so I'm mostly in a hub or i would buy that 2600 for sure ...... or maybe i will save up for the Otter ha!ha
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2020, 06:40 AM »
If you're planning on towing with an ATV or snowmobile look close at the construction of the shack's tub, especially if you fish big water.  I know Otter, and I believe Eskimo, offer a roto-molded tub that provides greater durability over the injection molded tubs.  For example, Saginaw Bay ice is famous for eating towed shacks - especially injection molded one's - due to hard blowing winds that break up ice into chunks that get refrozen and hidden under fresh snow.  Another aspect I would look at is whether or not you can stand up inside the shack - not a major factor, but being able to stand up and stretch every once in a while without leaving the shack is nice.  A third point to possibly consider is how easy will it be to move to new spots after you've initially set up to fish - my little Shappell FX-100 is great in that respect while my Otter takes a bit more work.

FWIW, I have no regrets at all paying the extra $$$ for the Otter X-Over Lodge I purchased.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2020, 07:03 AM »
Frabill Recruit..is roomy

If the sests are removable looking at a two man flipover will give more options.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2020, 08:24 AM »
I went through the same search for a “roomy” one man last year. I settled on the Clam Nanook XL. I chose it because of size, weight, and height. Very happy with my choice after one season.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2020, 08:49 AM »
To answer your question, I have had no issues & happy with it . It’s a 2006 & I fish a lot , I live on a lake . I don’t tow With a sled

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2020, 10:43 AM »
thanks again for all the info guys..I will be towing this across large water daily so I guess Clams tub is going to be it's downfall..real shame but makes sense if that is where they're cutting a few costs..I think the eskimo 2600 might be in the budget after it's all said and done..I just can't find anything on the tub at all..the bigger 2800 eskape states it's roto-molded..Otter also definitely states it is roto-molded.. I guess eskimo 2600 could still be beefy even if it's not but would be nice to know the quality before I buy..small town here also so no chance in seeing the stuff before I buy..hell it's hard enough getting these things shipped lol

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2020, 11:37 AM »
I have an Clam Guide flipover which is very similar and have fished out of the Nanooks before. But another thing to consider is the sleds on those were alot shorter/shallower than most flipovers and that can be a bit of a problem in extremely wet slushy conditions. I've fished at times in ankle deep water/slush and it would get into the tub and make a mess of things. You can't really stand up in them either but then again there aren't many in that price range that you can stand up comfortably anyway. Other than that they make for a great oversized one man flipover.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2020, 11:42 AM »
May want to add your location to your profile ..county and state is helpful .. may be a deal near your or a known retail outlet that you can tire kick a couple models.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2020, 12:10 PM »
Not much mention of frabill.  I'd put them under otter but above clam in quality.  Probably in the Eskimo range.  My trekker II dlx has held up well other than the windows all cracking first trip.  Probably has 500 miles on it behind the snow machine.  Seats are  comfy and removable, easy to fish two guys but light enough to load myself without removing gear from the tub.  The new comparable model is the aegis I believe.   

I'd have gone with an otter and still would but flips were few and far between in this neck of the woods and still are.

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2020, 04:15 PM »
Take a serious look at the Clam Legend XL if pulling by hand. Roomy one man. Add hifax runners. Take a look at them on YouTube.

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2020, 05:51 PM »
Take a serious look at the Clam Legend XL if pulling by hand. Roomy one man. Add hifax runners. Take a look at them on YouTube.

Yeah I did for sure but then the jump to the nanook xl was real easy to do.. It looks nice though

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2020, 05:53 PM »
I have an Clam Guide flipover which is very similar and have fished out of the Nanooks before. But another thing to consider is the sleds on those were alot shorter/shallower than most flipovers and that can be a bit of a problem in extremely wet slushy conditions. I've fished at times in ankle deep water/slush and it would get into the tub and make a mess of things. You can't really stand up in them either but then again there aren't many in that price range that you can stand up comfortably anyway. Other than that they make for a great oversized one man flipover.

Good point I never thought of.. Thank you.. I also have fished with slush and water.. Not fun lol

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Not much mention of frabill.  I'd put them under otter but above clam in quality.  Probably in the Eskimo range.  My trekker II dlx has held up well other than the windows all cracking first trip.  Probably has 500 miles on it behind the snow machine.  Seats are  comfy and removable, easy to fish two guys but light enough to load myself without removing gear from the tub.  The new comparable model is the aegis I believe.   

I'd have gone with an otter and still would but flips were few and far between in this neck of the woods and still are.

Yeah I actually checked out an aegis years ago but the window cracking of frabills kept me from looking at them.. Seems like a thing they should have fixed years ago..

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:54 AM »
I ended up finding a cheap used clam kenai thermal pro stealth.. Couldn't pass it up.. Small so just for me but maybe if I like it I'll get a larger one.. This one will be mobile for sure.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2020, 04:29 PM »
 I had a pro thermal stealth sold it as it doesn’t hold the heat and a condensation  factor , the fabric is tough as nails
 Pro thermal material doesn’t have condensation , and holds the heat , hyrax on the tubs as they are a little thinner ,
  But I like the seat height ,
  But if I were  buying another it would be a  otter or Eskimo , my bud has Eskimo only draw back was the weight of the seat he replace it with a folding chair just my .02
 Always nice to find a deal 👍

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2020, 04:37 PM »
I ended up finding a cheap used clam kenai thermal pro stealth.. Couldn't pass it up.. Small so just for me but maybe if I like it I'll get a larger one.. This one will be mobile for sure.

Cheap is good ;D. You can always get your money back. Ive slowly but surely bought used stuff at a great price then watched for better deals and sold the old stuff. I’ve had a couple 2 man clam flip overs, a shappell 2 man flip over and a clam 1 man. I finally found a killer deal on an eskimo wide 1 inferno which has an insulated tent and the front bar expands. It’s perfect for one and you can squeeze in the occasional small visitor.  I can’t wait to isolate in my shanty @)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Nice guys..thanks for the input.. I'll see how this one is then make the move maybe next year if it isn't enough or I want more..i should get what I paid for it if then decide the weight and size I really want.. I think it'll be fine for me for this year..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.