Connecticut > Ice Fishing Connecticut

Fishing in a Nor'easter

(1/3) > >>

Blaine:
I awoke at 2 this morning to sleet pelting my bedroom window. There was no getting back to sleep after that so I made my coffee and took my time getting ready. I hit the road at 3:15 to meet Ethan in Vernon at 4 this morning. The driving conditions weren't as bad as I expected. There was plenty of traction on the inch of sleet that had accumulated on the roads. As soon as I crossed the river into East Hartford, the sleet turned to snow and WOW did it snow. Even being all alone on the road with 4 wheel drive and brand new tires, I could do about 1/2 of the speed limit.

Ethan was right on time and were back on the road quickly. We were on the ice around 4:30. It was snowing so hard we had a hard time seeing where we were going and had to guess at where we were supposed to set up. I set the shanty up while E drilled the holes. We sure were glad we brought the shanty, there is no way we would have been able to stay out there in the wind without it... Inside it was much warmer and zero wind.

Things gradually changed over from snow to sleet, it made checking the tip ups down right painfull. The sleet pellets were larger than I'd ever seen and the wind had them moving at about a 45* angle, just enough to get a face full. After a while, it was plain to see that we wouldn't be able to keep up with cleaning the holes. We just sat back in the shanty and watch mother nature do her thing.

No fish, no flags, no nothing except some wind burn. We stuck it out till 9 and packed it up. We had close to 6 inches of new snow and sleet on top of what Thursday's storm had dropped. That sure made it fun pulling the shanty back to the truck, right E? :D

Anyways, like I said, it beat sitting at home. Even with no fish, it's always cool being out in the middle of the worst weather Mother Nature can throw at you and being warm, dry and sharing some laughs.

Along the way home, I stopped by Wethersfield Cove to see how the conditions were. Starting by the barn, I was able to walk out 50 yards or so with no trouble at all  ;D I popped a hole with my spud bar and found 4" as far as I wanted to go... It going to be a good week  :tipup:

tip-uptwo:
Great stuff Blake, fish or no fish you braved the conditions..

Hardcore fishin at it's finest!!

Fish Farmer:
Man vs. Wild icefishing style!

I thought of getting out today myself since here in Vermont we didn't get lots of snow, but it was really windy.

elcapitanmas:
Another beautiful day on the ice, fishin is fishin.  Heading out tuesday pm to make up for today.  You thought the shanty was a bad haul?  Man am I glad I didnt bring the stove or any food to cook  ;D

Blaine sunday, monday tuesday anytime, and apparently the weather doesnt matter.

E

Paul D.:
E,
Let me know when ya got time hit the eye lakes once the ice is good!!!! You guys are nuts  :laugh:.
Lots of good crappie posts here, figured I'd register .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version