Alaska > Ice Fishing Alaska

Yester was a good day - Caught my First Burbot!

(1/5) > >>

Alaska:
Thank You BarleyDog.  Armed with your advice, I went out and set 11 sets saturday morning, sunday morning I had 3 burbot!  Two were only 16"/18" but the other was a good 27".  I was using strips of shee fish for bait when these guys hit and have sets baited with salmon bellies and two with voles.  I will be checking them again today at lunch.  

In addition to the burbot, I caught two hares yesterday as well (after a week of trying).  So, yesterday was a good day!

Now the questions.  =0-)

1)  Is 27" good?
2)  How can I set up my rigs so I am able to release small burbot?  
(The three I caught had swallowed the bait and the hooks were in their stomaches)

Once I find out where they are concentrating, I will spend some time jigging the little buggers.  Any advice?  

Thanks!

Alaska

Hard_H2O:
Try circle hooks. They will always be hooked in the corner of the mouth.

fishermanjake:
A big second on the circle hooks, i've used them on burbot and they work exellent.  27 inches is an average burbot (on the smaller size of average), they do get alot bigger though,  ive caught a couple of 39 inchers and many over 30.  Me and barleydog went saturday night.  he caught 3 and i caught one.  Lost a bunch though.  his was about  30 inches and weighted 6.5 pounds and mine was probably 25 inches.  the other two he caught were small.  tryed the aqua-vu on them, but i think the light spooks them. saw a few, but none biting.  Anyway your vole idea should work, i have found them in their bellies. tell me how you do on them.  Anyway, if you have lots of bait use big baits.  big baits = big burbot and not less burbot.

Barleydog:
Alaska,  Good job!  You must have picked some good spots!  How did you do on your second trip?  27" fish is a nice fish!  ;)  Try to get your hands on some circle hooks.  They will limit the amount of little shakers that you have to keep do to blood loss.  I would go with a thin circle hook.  By thin, I mean in hook diameter.  This will limit the tearing of your bait and help your hook sets.  An example of these hooks are at the following site under the code V7384BN  
http://www.vmchooks.com/circlehooks.html (ftp://http://www.vmchooks.com/circlehooks.html)
Jake has the idea on jigging river Burbot.  GO BIG!  Use the largest jig in your arsenal.  I would suggest the more glow the better.  Keep us informed how you did! ;D  -Barleydog

grumpymoe:
barleydog--a little off the subject but just wanted to thank you for posting the beer batter recipe. (i'm trying the cajun one first-well the 1/2 case portion part)---good fishin  >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version