The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 2399 times)

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gloves
« on: Nov 28, 2023, 04:55 PM »
Looking to buy a new pair of gloves for ice fishing this year. My fingers always seem to get cold. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Gloves
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2023, 05:40 PM »
I just checked out several yesterday, had some time to kill, looked at and tried on gloves and mitts from striker, Eskimo, and ice armor.
The strikers predators were expensive and felt like cheap snowpants material.
The Eskimo gloves and mitts all felt really nice, didn’t realize their stuff was as good as it is.
I’d say the ice armor is just a little below Eskimo but nicer than the strikers.
If I needed gloves I’d be looking at those Eskimo roughneck gloves or the Clam agility gloves. I do own the agility gloves and they are very warm.

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2023, 06:23 PM »
Skip the gloves and get a flip over shelter with a buddy heater. Anything above freezing and hole hopping i use a cheap pair of insulated rubber gloves bought in a bundle size for swap out/value. Once you get below 18° I use oversized mittens for a warm up but the jigging hand still has something thin. Gotta feel that bite and have finesse, that's why we're here. I personally use girl spandex gloves or go barhaneded most of the time. If you keep em dry and warm up in mittens or pockets between seeing em fishes on the screen. Keep your stick on the ice and always b ready. Hand insulation is a loss of feeling, control, and readiness. PA is a different game than territory above the 45th. But at that point they all know to drive on the ice to some sort of shelter.

Offline fishchef

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2023, 06:28 PM »
May want to look at heated mittens or gloves:

https://www.ororowear.com/collections/heated-accessories?filter=heated-gloves

They have some Cyber Monday deals still in effect and I can attest ororo has quality items.   

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2023, 07:26 AM »
Like Fattycrusher, I prefer the insulated rubber gloves. You can put your hand right in the hole and don’t have to worry about getting them wet. I have a couple pairs like these: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-extreme-ice-gloves
Where's the FISH?!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2023, 08:20 AM »
I have used cheap Dollar Tree fleece gloves ...stuff pairs of them every where ...pockets...knapsack etc  change up if needed. I also deploy a USB rechargeable hand warmer that hangs from my bibs zipper and into my bibs . When traveling via ATV/UTV I would suggest a chopper mitt..Gord Phyzer use to recommend tennis wrist bands and disposable hand warmers . I have yet to land on a five finger glove that would suit my needs . But a good insulated shelter and a heater is a great investment.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2023, 02:23 PM »
i usually dont wear any gloves but when i do i wear the fingerless wool gloves. very warm and easy to slip off when a flag goes up.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2023, 02:57 PM »
After suffering near frostbite duck hunting several years ago, ANY glove is a “no-go” for me. I use faux fur lined mittens with a military surplus wool mitten liner. Easy on and off, and the liners are inexpensive, and easily replaced. Unless you want to put your hands in the water, definitely the way to go for warmth!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline newberry kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2023, 05:20 PM »
I keep a little buddy heater between my legs , the heat rises up and keeps my hands nice and warm.

Offline Nitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2023, 05:31 PM »
My two cents...I never found a pair of gloves that worked well for me while ice fishing.  I have an ~10 year old pair of Clam IceArmor Extreme Gloves which worked OK-enough for me to keep around - for guests, new fisherman, etc.

For walking (or riding ATV) out and for some setup activity, I usually wear leather insulated work gloves - whatever is dry and in the back of my truck.

Once ice fishing, I run mittens exclusively.  I take them off as needed - attending a line, retying, etc.  Something waterproof and 2XL (or as large as you can find) - easy on-and-off even with wet hands and they will keep your fingers significantly warmer than any pair of gloves I have ever tried.

The Clam IceArmor Extreme Mitts served me well for many years.  I have a new pair of Eskimo Buffalo Chopper Mitt ready to roll for this season - they seem totally legit.

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2023, 10:23 AM »
Nitz on mitts is absolutely correct.  Nothing works better than mittens.  Gloves separate your fingers.  Mitts keep them together and much warmer.  When taking them off, never drop them on the ice.  Put them in your jacket pocket until you put them back on.

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2023, 10:35 AM »
I use the rubber coated water proof gloves to set up in the ice house and drill holes, they stay warm and have great dexterity.  (for touching and handling stuff like snow/ice and water)
Then while fishing I prefer wool fingerless mittens. If I'm inside the ice house with the heater I never use gloves.
Pro tip, place a hot hand on the back of your hand in any glove helps immensely if you tend to have cold hands.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2023, 09:17 AM »
Nitz on mitts is absolutely correct.  Nothing works better than mittens.  Gloves separate your fingers.  Mitts keep them together and much warmer.  When taking them off, never drop them on the ice.  Put them in your jacket pocket until you put them back on.

I guess I am fortunate............. ......my hands don’t get that cold. I just keep hand warmers in my pockets and if they get cold alternate one hand on rod and one in pocket until they warm up. Or sometimes my buddy will hand me a  hot (temp) sausage sammich which warms them up nicely!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2023, 11:35 AM »
Or sometimes my buddy will hand me a  hot (temp) sausage sammich which warms them up nicely!  ;) ;D

yeah, we got some great buddies on the ice!  ;D

I have a bunch of gloves. They usually end up soaked and then frozen solid in the back of the sled.  :icefish:

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2023, 04:51 PM »
Soaked gloves are a good sign, means your catching👍

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2023, 04:56 PM »

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2023, 05:45 PM »
Soaked gloves are a good sign, means your catching👍
That…or your rod just got pulled in! lol
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2023, 05:50 AM »
I keep thinking of all the times I dive bombed some fish that popped the hook at the hole without thinking and ended up with a dink perch and a pair of wet gloves... and one of these guys laughing at me from behind!  :roflmao:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2023, 10:20 AM »
Oh, we would NEVER do that!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2023, 12:11 PM »
Nope😂

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2023, 08:09 PM »
oh yeah... I believe you both!  ::) ;D

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2023, 08:39 PM »
Funny enough, I was just shopping for a new parka, and found these waterproof ice gloves on clearance. Cost me $6. They arrived today, I ran them under cold water from sink for a while, they are definitely waterproof and sort of warm too. Should do for those =20 wind chill outings...

Offline Bountyhunter62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2023, 09:39 PM »
Purchased a pair of Clam Ice Armours last week. Sooo we'll see how they work out

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2023, 08:54 AM »
Funny enough, I was just shopping for a new parka, and found these waterproof ice gloves on clearance. Cost me $6. They arrived today, I ran them under cold water from sink for a while, they are definitely waterproof and sort of warm too. Should do for those =20 wind chill outings...

(Image removed from quote.)

Those look similar to what I have, although mine do not have the rubber coating on the back of the hand, just the fingers and palms.

One thing I noticed............... .....when it gets VERY cold (in single digits near 0*) the rubber seems to contract a bit and gloves get tight. So if you’re thinking of these you may want to get a size bigger.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2023, 09:24 AM »
Those look similar to what I have, although mine do not have the rubber coating on the back of the hand, just the fingers and palms.

One thing I noticed............... .....when it gets VERY cold (in single digits near 0*) the rubber seems to contract a bit and gloves get tight. So if you’re thinking of these you may want to get a size bigger.

These are rubber coated all around, but back and fingertips are non slip type coating. The large size is a snug fit, but fingers are a bit long. I sort of have wide hands and short fingers. Will see how they do if I end up using them on colder days. Figured I couldn't go wrong for what I paid.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2023, 10:00 AM »
Oh, ok. I’m just the opposite.............l ong fairly skinny fingers. I usually get the XL for the longer fingers.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline stormtrooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2023, 08:40 PM »
Like a few others say I use mittens. I often use a thin lined type glove with just the finger and thumb of my right hand cut off and I’ll use that inside another pair of fingerless fleece gloves and then stuff that in my mittens lol. I use hand warmers too in my pockets when it’s warmer without the mittens or in the mittens when I have to warm up. It’s so hard for me yo warm up my fingers once they’re cold. I’ll just drill holes or do circles with my arms. I had ice armor mittens and I just bought another pair that are the renegade and they seem decent for $70. A heater or shelter changes the game even more.

Offline DirtyDan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2023, 03:07 PM »
I have two pairs of the ice armor. They are great for working on the tip-ups on the cold days, mine are also fully waterproof.

Offline purplelab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2023, 09:42 PM »
I have gloves with open fingers that flipover as mittens to cover my fingers but use a rechargable hand warmer with them.

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2023, 12:03 PM »
Leather and wool. That's all you need. Army issue 30 years ago.
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.