Author Topic: HT Siberian Auger  (Read 1137 times)

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
HT Siberian Auger
« on: Jan 22, 2023, 10:54 AM »
Any experience with this hand auger or used with a drill?  I like the offset handle setup.  The blades look exactly the same as the new Jiffy hand augers.

https://htice.com/siberian-ice-auger-kit/

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: HT Siberian Auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2023, 01:49 PM »
Looks like they renamed the russian made "Mini Nero." With the trade sanctions on russia have to wonder if this is a china made clone and what the warranty and future availability of blades etc. will be.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2023, 02:09 PM »
It looks like the same build as the nero I bought a few years ago.

I've only used mine a few times, but do like the offset handle. I had bought the nero kit which had an extension and the side handle, but the handle is free spinning on the shaft so not sure how it would work with a drill.

I'm not sure how long the threaded wingnuts and threaded holes in the shaft where they thread together will last. I could see frozen fingers at the end of the day causing thread stripping. I seem to have to align them just right if I want to collapse the auger for packing. It could probably use a little grease for smooth threading.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2023, 06:36 PM »
The Siberian has two sets of blades that come with it. One for hard ice and one more for sandy ice. They are also a slightly different design.  I have used the mini-Nero for 3 seasons now and it works like a charm.  I usually use a bungee cord and tie the drill handle to the handle on the auger just to keep from getting hit by accident.  I haven't had any thread issues but usually use the adaptor and a drill.  The blades are still getting the job done no problem and I use it frequently.  The offset handle makes it easy to drill and requires no downward pressure.  Nothing like the old spoon auger days. I suspect the Siberian is an update to the mini-Nero design.  Walmart is still stocking the mini-Nero, at least around here, so they must still have a supply.  Compared to western stuff Russian stuff is generally clunky but usually works well in the cold since they have a lot of it. 

Offline sinneD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2023, 06:43 PM »
The Siberian has two sets of blades that come with it. One for hard ice and one more for sandy ice.

I have a Siberian auger too, I got it direct from the maker in Ishevik. I have not used it much- life gets in the way of fun sometimes.

Are the 'sandy ice' blades the rounded nose ones?

What is your auger cover like? How do you like it? Mine broke in shipping. I need to figure something out for this as the blades are scarry sharp. 

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2023, 06:49 PM »
I think the blades are blue for clear ice and red for sand ice.  I have the two-piece cover that came with it but I have the mini-Nero so not exactly the same. That only came with the super sharp blades and not with a choice.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2023, 11:43 PM »
Based on pictures the blades look completely different than the Nero.  They are serrated, or grooved, kind of like lite flite and ion blades but then they also have this weird offset too.

Offline islander_

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish now, work later
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2023, 06:27 AM »
I saw the HT Siberian when I was in the store getting a Nero and the only set of blades I saw with a passing glance looked like the toothed "chipper style" so I passed.

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2023, 10:50 AM »
If it is like a Nero, which it seems very similar, then it's a great auger for the price. I purchased one and it worked great for several years with me just using hand action. It came with a drill adapter and it worked pretty well. I had an 8" sized one. I eventually replaced it with the Strikemaster Lite Flite and gave it to my brother who is continuing to use it. The offset handle makes it work much like a NIL's auger, though the head is very different.

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:45 AM »
yes looks like the nero   i had one and really like it

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2023, 11:42 PM »
Can we please stop saying it looks like the Nero... these are the blades!!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2023, 02:35 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.