Author Topic: PFAS in freshwater fish  (Read 3304 times)

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: PFAS in freshwater fish
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2023, 09:40 AM »
The issue isn't  the pfa's or pollution.    We've known our waterways have been  polluted since the mid 1980's.  The issue is the bodies of water they sampled, the fish they sampled (carp?) , and the nationwide roll out of "commercial fish are safer than local freshwater fish.  It's so bad that one meal equals a month of drinking polluted water."

I'll  stick with local bluegills over Talapia any day.

https://globalseafoods.com/blogs/news/why-you-shouldnt-eat-tilapia
I think the writer of the article probably meant commercially sold saltwater fish. It would have been nice to include a little more info in the article. I haven’t heard anything about PFAS in saltwater fish. Yet…

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2023, 10:24 AM »
It is a shame, but a technological  advanced world has it's  problems.

That  doesn't  discount the fact that the study cited sampled incredible  polluted waterways.  No one should consume carp or suckered from the Susquehanna  River. With or without pfa's.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2023, 01:32 PM »
I wish politicians would show some spine and hold these companies responsible for permanently altering the planet for their bottom line.  F*** DuPont.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2023, 05:10 PM »
The issue isn't  the pfa's or pollution.    We've known our waterways have been  polluted since the mid 1980's.  The issue is the bodies of water they sampled, the fish they sampled (carp?) , and the nationwide roll out of "commercial fish are safer than local freshwater fish.  It's so bad that one meal equals a month of drinking polluted water."

I'll  stick with local bluegills over Talapia any day.

https://globalseafoods.com/blogs/news/why-you-shouldnt-eat-tilapia

The more reading I've done the more I agree with the "since the 80s" part of your post.  The history of pfa's seemed to be a great example how demand can outpace research. By time it was decided they were dangerous use was already widespread, and still is widespread. We want things now often before long term effects have been properly studied, companies continue to take advantage of that today

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2023, 05:44 PM »
The more reading I've done the more I agree with the "since the 80s" part of your post.  The history of pfa's seemed to be a great example how demand can outpace research. By time it was decided they were dangerous use was already widespread, and still is widespread. We want things now often before long term effects have been properly studied, companies continue to take advantage of that today

The invisible  killer.  Mercury, PCB's, PFA's. 

The only advice I'll  give is to throw back the chain pickerel, bass, and carp.  There's  no reason to knowingly eat contaminated  fish unless you're  literally  starving imo.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2023, 05:47 PM »
The invisible  killer.  Mercury, PCB's, PFA's. 

The only advice I'll  give is to throw back the chain pickerel, bass, and carp.  There's  no reason to knowingly eat contaminated  fish unless you're  literally  starving imo.

So we buy expensive fish, I've been eating contaminated fish since I was born, lots of mercury and lead in fish out here due to mining back in the 1800's, only in the last 10 years or so they started warning us.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2023, 09:13 PM »
Another fun fact learned while reading about pfa's, Plumbers tape is made of PFAs  ???

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2023, 09:14 PM »
Another fun fact learned while reading about pfa's, Plumbers tape is made of PFAs  ???

Along with all the lead pipes.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2023, 10:48 AM »
Just to add more to the mix----those of us who live on the Great Lakes have been drinking tritium that got in the atmosphere largely due to above ground testing of nuclear weapons in the S Pacific by the French before that was banned.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2023, 11:45 AM »
Just to add more to the mix----those of us who live on the Great Lakes have been drinking tritium that got in the atmosphere largely due to above ground testing of nuclear weapons in the S Pacific by the French before that was banned.

I get a morbid laugh when thinking about the plastic straw nonsense when we literally  tested nuclear bombs in Nevada and the south pacific.

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 21, 2023, 04:53 PM »
    I have the same right to make a comment here as you and everyone else, without ridicule!!!  And, I'll not let you or anyone else to continually harrass me.

Ehhhh Yes and no, you have the right to say whatever you want but you don't have the right to tell anyone that they can't ridicule you for what you say. Your welcome btw for that freedom. TSgt USAF Retired
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #41 on: Jan 21, 2023, 08:02 PM »
Ah yes a threat to our way of life, and health. What can we do? Does writing to you're state rep, senator go anywhere? I've always believed that if the fines for polluters were enough to shudder the enterprise. They would stop. Yet we all know those stocks, and shares are far more precious than our environment, and our low to upper middle class lives.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 21, 2023, 08:45 PM »
Ah yes a threat to our way of life, and health. What can we do? Does writing to you're state rep, senator go anywhere? I've always believed that if the fines for polluters were enough to shudder the enterprise. They would stop. Yet we all know those stocks, and shares are far more precious than our environment, and our low to upper middle class lives.

Look into how many products using PFAs you as a consumer purchase and use daily before you get too excited about the blame game.

Goretex clothing/most waterproof clothing, any product similar to Scotchgard, plumbers tape, nonstick pans, ice fishing braid, fast-food wrappers, pizza boxes, if you do some digging your house is most likely full of them.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2023, 09:47 PM »

Yup. Plumber's tape is also known as teflon tape. Teflon=PFAS. It's used everywhere, as you just said
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2023, 09:31 AM »
Been eating fish for 70+ years.  I expect it will kill me in another ten or twenty years.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2023, 12:38 PM »
Been eating fish for 70+ years.  I expect it will kill me in another ten or twenty years.

Have you ever eaten carp?

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 23, 2023, 08:01 PM »
They will have to pry my cold dead hands from my rods before I stop fishing and eating fish! ;D

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 23, 2023, 08:12 PM »

Have you ever eaten carp?

I haven't, but I'm guessing that if it's like mercury, it's in all the fish, the bigger the fish the more it has.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 23, 2023, 08:26 PM »
I haven't, but I'm guessing that if it's like mercury, it's in all the fish, the bigger the fish the more it has.

It's  one of the fish they tested.   A hot bottom feeder. 

Offline sinneD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 24, 2023, 12:25 AM »
The problem with PFAS and PCB is that they are so stable and don't naturally biodegrade to less harmful materials.

WARRIOR_ON_ICE: Calling on your chem background- could the test results be faulty? If PFAS contamination is so prevalent, can the apparatus or reagents used in PFAS testing be taitned?  So my question would be how do we find out if the tests are reliable and accurate?

From the Michigan advisory: "Why smelt are showing elevated PFAS levels isn’t well understood yet. They are a short-lived forage fish that’s low on the food web and don’t generally bioaccumulate chemicals."

Same for carp- its low on the food chain. I can see it testing high for all chems, but if the PFAS results are skewed, are the test methods reliable.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #50 on: Jan 24, 2023, 06:23 AM »
WARRIOR_ON_ICE: Calling on your chem background- could the test results be faulty? If PFAS contamination is so prevalent, can the apparatus or reagents used in PFAS testing be taitned?  So my question would be how do we find out if the tests are reliable and accurate?

From the Michigan advisory: "Why smelt are showing elevated PFAS levels isn’t well understood yet. They are a short-lived forage fish that’s low on the food web and don’t generally bioaccumulate chemicals."

Same for carp- its low on the food chain. I can see it testing high for all chems, but if the PFAS results are skewed, are the test methods reliable.

Good question. I have never been involved in nor do I know the testing method for determining PFAS concentrations, however I am sure that the sample set contains " blanks " that are not supposed to have any of the target analyte, and this blank sample is confirmed to have a 0 ppt output in order to validate the testing. They certainly also prepare standards of exact concentrations over a range from the pure PFAS compound that is being analyzed for ( this can be purchased in 100% pure form from a chemical supplier ) in order to calibrate the instrument in the range of concentrations that the samples taken from the fish will fall within. I am assuming that one of the chromatography methods is used - either gas chromatography or High Pressure Liquid Chromatography ( HPLC ) for this, depending on the volatility of the PFAS.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 24, 2023, 02:19 PM »
I don't have a clue about them being in saltwater but I do they are getting more and more prevelant in the fresh water of Michigan.  The main cause here appears to be fire fighting chemicals that were used by the Air Force on the bases here.  However, they are not the only distributer of these chemicals.  More and more lakes and rivers every year are being polluted by them.  Apparently when they are used they get into the soil and ground water supply.  Everytime it rains the run off carries some of the chemical into the ditches, streams and rivers.  And, we all know where those lead.  Yes, they lead into our lakes and Great Lakes!  The Great Lakes are the largest fresh water system in the world.  I hate to think how many people will die from the lack of water, if the Great Lakes get polluted and become unuseable.  Not to mention the amount of fish that will be inedible.  These things are very dangerous due to being "forever" chemicals and more funding and studies need to occur sooner than later.  Later might be too late!

We have an air force base on the north side of my town where there is a large aquifer.  They've confirmed that its been contaminated by the fire fighting chemicals at the base.  They still allow consumption of water out of it after its been treated but its quite the hot button topic as there have been several locations on that side of town with oddly high levels of cancer and problems with reproduction.  I'm sure there is an impact as these findings came to light within the last 5 years.
westernmas on the finder

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.