Author Topic: Thunderbay Cyclone vs Trophy Strike  (Read 1004 times)

Offline eltigraska

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thunderbay Cyclone vs Trophy Strike
« on: Jan 16, 2023, 11:45 AM »
It is pretty apparent that the Thunderbay Cyclone ice auger is essentially a rebranded Trophy Strike 120V but I am noticing that they are showing the Cyclone as 7.5 lbs heavier than the TS for the 8" models.  Has anybody used the Cyclone and/or would know why?  It appears the powerhead & battery are identical (at least in the pictures), is the auger portion heavier?  The auger does look to have a bit different design.  I bought the TS unit in 2019a few months before the company went under and have been very happy with it until a few weeks ago it got dropped onto some rocks and now the head that holds the blades has cracked so needing to replace that.  I'd just upgrade to Ion or Strikemaster but not really wanting to pay the extra $250-$500 to do so, especially when the TS has been treating me well so far.

Also, has anybody who might still have a Trophy Strike auger tried using Thunderbay parts (battery, blades, etc) and had any luck with that? 

Thanks!

Offline eltigraska

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Thunderbay Cyclone vs Trophy Strike
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2023, 01:50 PM »
I've noticed that pretty much all the off brand augers have what looks like the same bit on them with the ring around the bottom.  This might do the trick for you.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-8-in-Ice-Auger-Bit-AC8ICE/318427815?g_store=&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D28I-028_033_CHORE-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-SMART_SHP&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D28I-028_033_CHORE-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-SMART_SHP-71700000080837633-58700006820161825-92700061594993386&gclid=Cj0KCQiAiJSeBhCCARIsAHnAzT_FMzX_tBri8rcZEN5RgDECgpfY2UFDtbP2y8Y2iN_E5O2oCbXjNI4aAmKhEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks.  I ended up buying the Thunderbay replacement auger bit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NPPG2DH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  Maybe i'm wrong but it seems any replacement bit would work as long as it can attach to the head.  I figure since it appears Thunderbay pretty much took over the Trophy Strike product that the odds are pretty good it'll fit even if the exact design is a bit different.  I've found the attachment size is a hard specification to find..   Mainly I'm curious if anybody else has used the Cyclone product or associated parts.

Offline eltigraska

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Thunderbay Cyclone vs Trophy Strike
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2023, 06:27 PM »
FYI for anybody who might be searching this since I could find any answers when I was looking...

The Thunderbay replacement auger bit does indeed fit the Trophy Strike powerhead. 

The blades are different from the original TS auger bit blades (or more accurately, the blade is the same but the attachment method is different: smaller screw and screws directly into the blade rather than a screw/nut set-up) so the TB blades are not a direct replacement for the TS blades.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.