Connecticut > Ice Fishing Connecticut

New trout Regs for East Twin and Wono

(1/3) > >>

TT:
Establishes the following special trout regulations on East Twin Lake and Lake Wononscopomuc:
During the period from 6:00 a.m. on the second Saturday in April through the last day of February the daily creel limit for trout shall be five, not more than one of which may be a brown trout, and the minimum length for brown trout shall be twenty-two inches. During the period from March first through 6:00 a.m. on the second Saturday in April, inclusive, the daily creel limit for trout shall be one and the minimum length limit shall be twenty-two inches.
Adds Long Pond (North Stonington) and Lake Wonoscopomuc to the list of Trout Management Lake.
Prohibits ice fishing on Factory Pond (Salisbury), Lake Chamberlain (Bethany), Lake Saltonstall (Branford, East Haven), Maltby Lakes (Orange, West Haven), Lake McDonough (New Hartford, Barkhamsted) and Shenipsit Lake (Ellington, Tolland, Vernon).
Gear:

Establishes a limit of two devices per person when ice fishing on East Twin Lake or Lake Wonoscopomuc. This may be two (2) tip ups, two (2) jigging rods or one of each.

Ranger275:
 Just when you think the People's Republic of Connecticut couldn't get any more restrictive....
I am ok not harvesting fish in an effort to help with conservation efforts, but 2 tip ups? Not very happy about that.

eiderz:

--- Quote from: Ranger275 on Dec 29, 2022, 05:33 AM --- Just when you think the People's Republic of Connecticut couldn't get any more restrictive....
I am ok not harvesting fish in an effort to help with conservation efforts, but 2 tip ups? Not very happy about that.

--- End quote ---

Not sure why they did it, but hope the restriction doesn't spread to other lakes. It wouldn't surprise me if it does, however. I don't think it's just about harvest. There are plenty of do gooders that equate six tipups to six open water lines, although not a valid comparison. A guy casting from a boat can cover more water in six casts than those six tipups. Another common complaint is spreading tipups all over the place to keep other people away. Limiting the tipup count cuts down on that.

Ranger275:

--- Quote from: eiderz on Dec 29, 2022, 06:06 AM ---Not sure why they did it, but hope the restriction doesn't spread to other lakes. It wouldn't surprise me if it does, however. I don't think it's just about harvest. There are plenty of do gooders that equate six tipups to six open water lines, although not a valid comparison. A guy casting from a boat can cover more water in six casts than those six tipups. Another common complaint is spreading tipups all over the place to keep other people away. Limiting the tipup count cuts down on that.

--- End quote ---

I'm sure those restrictions will spread. As soon as people realize they can't use their 6 shiny new tip ups they got for Christmas at certain lakes they will head to Highland or West Hill, etc. Once they become over fished.....new restrictions. I would be ok with confining my 6 tip ups to a certain radius. I do that anyway. Common sense ice fishing etiquette.

lowaccord66:
Both of those lakes are particularly special in their holdover brown trout fisheries.  While I cringe at new restrictions I do like a shot at a giant holdover.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version