Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

It won't be long.

(1/4) > >>

9huskies:
Ice is forming on the small high elevation ponds. I'm going to try to start my ice fishing season next Wednesday, Nov. 23. I expect to find 5-6 inches of ice. I want to get out ahead of the snow that's in the forecast for Friday and Saturday.

Brian VT:
I always hope to be able to get out there before January 1.
It doesn't happen often at the latitude I'm at.

Linedogg104:
Good luck out there! Be safe!

FishingFredrik:

--- Quote from: 9huskies on Nov 18, 2022, 07:39 PM ---Ice is forming on the small high elevation ponds. I'm going to try to start my ice fishing season next Wednesday, Nov. 23. I expect to find 5-6 inches of ice. I want to get out ahead of the snow that's in the forecast for Friday and Saturday.

--- End quote ---

That's awesome! What area are you going to target? I have a fair amount of driving from where I am to get to anything likely to freeze over the next week. Be safe out there!

9huskies:
There are 2 ponds near me that freeze exceptionally early every year. Both are next to the road and the parts I'll be fishing are only 3 feet deep. If I do break through I won't drown and I'll only be about 2 minutes from the truck. I bring the bare minimum for gear when I fish through thin ice, just a hand auger and a cheap jig pole so there's no risk of losing expensive toys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version