Author Topic: Curing frozen Minnows  (Read 3557 times)

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
Curing frozen Minnows
« on: Nov 17, 2022, 11:03 AM »
      I have been salt curing shiners for a few years/. I make a brine with pickling salt leave them in the brine for 5 hours in the fridge. Next they get dried on paper towels.
 then they get packed in course salt and back into the fridge.
   The longer they are in the salt the drier they will get. after they are the right consistency (for me about 6 hours) I bag them in zip lock bags on top of paper towel and store in freezer. These stay good all winter and do not fall apart like regular frozen minnows after a few thaws.
 They hold on the hooks better and the fish seem to like them.
 I have heard of people using winter grade windshield washer fluid to get similar results.
 Have any of you tried the washer fluid method? Would probably be less work.
    If you have I would like to hear your method and what your results were. 

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Curing frozen Minnows
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2022, 11:10 AM »
Hoo boy, bad idea, regardless of what some people say, Winter fluid is a concentrate of methyl alcohol, aka Methanol, and that is....

Methanol (CH3OH) is a very toxic alcohol that is found in various household, automotive, and industrial agents. Methanol exposure can be extremely dangerous, with significant morbidity and mortality if left untreated. 

Besides possibly being illegal, and introducing this into a waterway, I sure wouldn't do it.  Just my .02
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2022, 01:04 PM »
You can put them in a bag with rv antifreeze and put them in the freezer. The antifreeze may only become slushy, but the minnows will be frozen.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2022, 03:08 PM »
Do you guys catch minnow for this purpose? Or just buy them to cure?

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2022, 07:40 PM »
I just buy the frozen shiners and salt cure them when they are fresh. Once cured they can be kept in the freezer for at least a year. they do not  go bad and stay on the hook better.  I bring a few zip lock bags of them along for every fishing outing even in summer.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2022, 08:54 PM »
Hoo boy, bad idea, regardless of what some people say, Winter fluid is a concentrate of methyl alcohol, aka Methanol, and that is....

Methanol (CH3OH) is a very toxic alcohol that is found in various household, automotive, and industrial agents. Methanol exposure can be extremely dangerous, with significant morbidity and mortality if left untreated. 

Besides possibly being illegal, and introducing this into a waterway, I sure wouldn't do it.  Just my .02
Millions of gallons of this stuff gets thrown into the roadways every winter season. Methyl alcohol. I guess  I will try a few batches with Vodka instead, one sip for me one for the minnows LOL

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2022, 05:34 AM »
I did the drunken minnow thing last few years with cheap vodka. Worked out well. I still prefer to fry them on a wire rack and salt them down for 6-10 hours.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2022, 06:59 AM »
Millions of gallons of this stuff gets thrown into the roadways every winter season. Methyl alcohol. I guess  I will try a few batches with Vodka instead, one sip for me one for the minnows LOL

No they don't. That spray is manufactured salt brine. Go ahead and have those drinks. Good luck.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2022, 01:31 PM »
No they don't. That spray is manufactured salt brine. Go ahead and have those drinks. Good luck.
No that spray comes out of every vehicle that uses winter grade washer fluid try not to be a jerk. Then it makes it's way to the roads it doesn't magically stay on the vehicle.. Most of this just evaporates into the atmosphere. I did try the fluid method once they are dried and frozen there would only be trace amounts.
It really doesn't matter because after trying it the salted minnows are much better.
 Have a nice Day!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2022, 01:36 PM »
You too, skippy! Go enjoy a drink and some minnows on crackers!! 🐡

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2022, 02:16 PM »
I'll have to try the salt method, usually end up with a bunch of floaters and would love to get some second life out of them.
From my experience Ethanol > Methanol > Acetone > iso-propyl in order of most to least appealing.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2023, 12:26 PM »
Try to pickle them . lol
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.