Canada > Ice Fishing Saskatchewan

Lake Diefenbaker 2022-2023

<< < (16/16)

speckspotter:
Well Walter finally came out of hiding this evening and provided an hour and a half of lure bumping, minnow stealing, hook spitting, escape at the hole fun. It might have been a good time for a stinger hook on the minnow as the thievery was truly impressive. Minnow heads and tails were slurped off with barely an indication. Even waiting an extra couple of seconds after the bite didn't guarantee a solid hook set. In the end, a perch eyeball was the undoing of the two that ultimately accepted my dinner invitation.

farmboy:
Nice fish speck. Sounds like it’s still a pretty tough bite out there from what I’ve heard. Fish don’t seem to be in the pre spawn feeding mode yet. Maybe our really late spring has something to do with it?

speckspotter:
Good question Farmboy. My eaters were a pair of chunky 15 inch males that look as though they have been doing pretty well.

shawno:
I made it out one last time this past Saturday.  Ice was still plenty thick ( need ext. ) and solid.  Lots of guys driving around still.  Finally connected with a few Burbot.  They didn't appear to be in a spawning mood...so not exactly sure if it hasn't happened yet or was over quite sometime ago. Anyways, caught enough for a fish fry, so it was a successful trip.

speckspotter:
We ended the season on Dief hoping for a strong evening bite. With the camera down, we were treated to the thrill of a 20 inch walleye charging in and smashing my lure. Only one other aggressive walleye offered itself up along with a feisty burbot. More pecks and bumps kept us on the edge of our ice chairs, but the hoped for hot action never materialized.

As we packed up the gear and folded up the new Outbreak 450 (a definite upgrade) we reflected that this was just "one of those years". While the fish might not be smarter than us, there is still plenty to learn.

Here's hoping everyone had a good year, and we will see you on the ice come November.

Now, how many sleeps until open water season?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version