Author Topic: Looking for the largest 1-man flipover.  (Read 4478 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Looking for the largest 1-man flipover.
« on: Jan 28, 2022, 09:01 PM »
My friend is 6 ft and weighs 250 plus.  He is refered to as Big Earl but most of us.  Can any of you tell me who makes the largest 1-man flip over shelter?  My friend would like to be able to stand up straight in it if possible.  I love my EVO 1, but it is too small for Big Earl.  What are your experiences in this area of equipment?   
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Looking for the largest 1-man flipover.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2022, 09:19 PM »
He may want to consider getting the smallest 2-man flip over, remove one seat and center the seat you don't remove.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2022, 09:51 PM »
Shappel FX150 if you can find one. Clam legend or otter cottage would be good higher end options.
A 2 man with seat removed would be the way I’d go, Clam nanook or ice runner expedition

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2022, 11:18 PM »
I have the ice runner expedition. 6’2” and I can stand up. Only downside is you gotta bring your own chair. Borderline one man carry but drags nice bc it’s light. Pleased with it so far.  Plenty of space for 2 big adults and very roomy for one.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2022, 11:24 PM »
Hell im 6'2" and 290 and fish out of a tiny fx100.theres not many flips that you can stand in if 6ft.maybe the clam legend.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2022, 02:25 AM »
Otter XT Cottage is marketed as a 2-man that comes with one seat and you have to buy the second seat.

Just don’t buy the second seat.
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2022, 04:39 AM »
Im 6' 3" 300lbs I have the Eskimo wide 1 Inferno. I cant stand in it. I have a hard time fishing in it . I feel cramped. Buy a pop up & take a stool

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2022, 05:20 AM »
I have the ice runner expedition. 6’2” and I can stand up. Only downside is you gotta bring your own chair. Borderline one man carry but drags nice bc it’s light. Pleased with it so far.  Plenty of space for 2 big adults and very roomy for one.

looks nice but cant get one now.  says taking pre orders for sept. 22!  must be a good seller eh. lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2022, 07:25 AM »
I run a non-insulated Clam Yukon with one seat removed. Plenty of room to stand and lots of elbow room and a lot lighter with one seat removed.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2022, 07:50 AM »
I was in the same place. Wanted to get a one man flip to replace my Clam Big Foot XL. I also wanted a little elbow room. I went with the Clam Nanook XL. Very happy with my choice. I use it as a one man with just one seat. It is light enough to load in an SUV by my self. I’m older and walk with a Smitty with no problems. It is also tall enough for me to stand.  I considered other 1 and 1 1/2 man sleds and really like the extra room of the Nanook XL. Very happy after a couple seasons of use.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2022, 07:58 AM »
its the height that is gonna be tough. My buddy is over 6 feet, he got an otter lodge after searching high and low for a tall enough flip over, its huge but he can stand up just fine.

If he can deal with not standing up, any smaller 2 man will be better for him.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2022, 08:25 AM »
Im 6' 3" 300lbs I have the Eskimo wide 1 Inferno. I cant stand in it. I have a hard time fishing in it . I feel cramped. Buy a pop up & take a stool

I'm about the same size as you and have the same hut. I love the damn thing until I need to climb out of it without flipping it over. The door just seems super low.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2022, 08:42 AM »
I am short, round, and beat up. And these old bones don't move like they used to. Gettin in and out of a flipover is tough for me ,  not to mention way too confined a space. I am currently using a polar bird 4 T  pop up.
THEY say it's a 4 man....to me, it's a perfect 1 man, I love the room.   upside , lotsa room, not too heavy.  Downside   I have too much crap I bring so the sled is overflowing.  Good luck in your search, hope you find something you like
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2022, 08:54 AM »
Clam Nanook with one seat removed, and set in the middle of the tub.  that's what I use, and it's the best one man around.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2022, 09:03 AM »
I'd go with an Eskimo Sierra thermal without the second seat installed.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2022, 09:05 AM »
I know you said flip over, but if he could do a suitcase style....Shappel DX3000. I'm 6'1, 240, and can stand up in my DX4000. (they don't make that one anymore) The 3000 is just a bit smaller, height is the same.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2022, 02:02 PM »
Clam X100 is 70” high which is the highest center height I have seen in a 1 man.  He would still need to hunch over to get in and out but could almost stand up straight. 

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2022, 02:05 PM »
the Clam X100 is 89lbs so a 2 man wouldn’t be much more weight if any of you removed the 2nd seat.  I have the Clam Voyager as a one man with a dog so I never have the 2nd seat in it.  Works great for me. 

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2022, 02:38 PM »
I did a little research of my own this morning and found this information.

And checking websites for availability shows most of these are out of stock this season.  After looking at all of these myself, I'm thinking maybe get rid of my Eskimo EVO 1 and Clam Nanook XL Thermal and get one of the Clam Legend XLs next fall.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2022, 02:40 PM »
Clam nanook xl here too.  It has been a great shelter for the wife and I the last couple seasons but works awesome as a one man with the seat in the middle.  It's in that perfect size and weight range where it's definitely not too heavy to load by yourself but has plenty of room with insulation.  On top of that I only paid 430.00 with free shipping so it was hard to beat.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2022, 04:00 PM »
I love my Legend XL Thermal! That said, I'm finding more and more I'm using a hub more even when fishing by myself. Unless he's gonna run and gun a lot, I'd consider looking at a hub with the full door like the Eskimo Outbreak XD series. I have the 450xd and it's got a bunch of room, I had 3 tip downs going in it the other day. A smaller one like the 350xd or 250xd would be similar. I'm 6' and can stand up straight and walk around in there. Plus the full door makes for easy in and out.

I know the post was about a flip, but thought I'd make the suggestion in case Big Earl didn't consider it.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2022, 04:52 PM »
B. E. has a hub.  He bought it 2 seasons ago and yesterday was the first time he ever put it up - it was below zero cold yesterday.  The problem with hubs here in Mormon Mecca is that we get wind - lots & lots of wind.  Putting up and taking down a hub by yourself CAN be done successfully in the wind, but it is a Royal PITA.  I only had to do it twice to KNOW that there wasn't going to be a third time.  If some of you younger folks (you know, those of you still in your 60's) find it NOT a challenge to mess with hubs, B. E. and I are happy for ya.   :bow:

Putting up the flips in the wind is a piece of cake compared to the hubs for some of us more senior adventurers.  I'll pass along my research and some of y'alls sage advice to B. E. and let him decide.  For me, I'll live out the rest of this season with the Nanook XL Thermal and early next fall sell it along with the Eskimo EVO 1 and look at either the Clam Legend XL or the X100.  Life is good and the perch are bigger and more abundant this season.   :thumbsup:

Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2022, 06:32 PM »
The flips are still going to need to be anchored. I had my Legend XL flip over in what I would call a stiff breeze this year on early ice without much snow. I'm adding some kayak drain plugs to the inside of my tub so I cam anchor it down from inside, and plug the holes when I don't need the anchors. It'll stay put when you sit in it no problem, but needs some weight or an anchor to keep er put in you go check a flag or take a wee.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2022, 08:47 AM »
The flips are still going to need to be anchored. I had my Legend XL flip over in what I would call a stiff breeze this year on early ice without much snow. I'm adding some kayak drain plugs to the inside of my tub so I cam anchor it down from inside, and plug the holes when I don't need the anchors. It'll stay put when you sit in it no problem, but needs some weight or an anchor to keep er put in you go check a flag or take a wee.
Good call on the anchor holes.  I leave my Nanook attached to the Snowdog chain of sleds and if there is a breeze, I point the chain into the wind and the flip doesn't move at all.  If B. E. gets a flip, I'll mention that anchor idea so he can anchor it as wind conditions warrant.   ;D 
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2022, 10:55 AM »
B. E. has a hub.  He bought it 2 seasons ago and yesterday was the first time he ever put it up - it was below zero cold yesterday.  The problem with hubs here in Mormon Mecca is that we get wind - lots & lots of wind.  Putting up and taking down a hub by yourself CAN be done successfully in the wind, but it is a Royal PITA.  I only had to do it twice to KNOW that there wasn't going to be a third time.  If some of you younger folks (you know, those of you still in your 60's) find it NOT a challenge to mess with hubs, B. E. and I are happy for ya.   :bow:

Putting up the flips in the wind is a piece of cake compared to the hubs for some of us more senior adventurers.  I'll pass along my research and some of y'alls sage advice to B. E. and let him decide.  For me, I'll live out the rest of this season with the Nanook XL Thermal and early next fall sell it along with the Eskimo EVO 1 and look at either the Clam Legend XL or the X100.  Life is good and the perch are bigger and more abundant this season.   :thumbsup:

Totally agree. Hubs are a PITA to put up and take down, even without the wind. But then again, when is there ever no wind on a lake during winter...it's always windy.  Had a hub for my first few years (mid 40s) and finally had enough and got a Shappel flip. Easy peasy now..

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2022, 11:18 AM »
I love using my Clam Nanook alone, lots of room and not overly heavy.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Alternative Reefer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2022, 05:14 AM »
I'm about the same size as you and have the same hut. I love the damn thing until I need to climb out of it without flipping it over. The door just seems super low.

6'1 big boy here and I hear ya.  I do not think I have ever opened that door to walk in and out.  It just screams blow out my back if I try to crawl through that door.   It is nice for long walks.  I have a cottage, a lodge, a frabil pop up and an old clam GB packer shack.  I can stand in the lodge, the frabil and the clam.  The cottage I gotta crouch.  I use the cottage the most. 

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:55 AM »
Not sure if you can find one, but the Clam Runner Thermal was a good flipover.  They may have stopped making them, but they were used for guys that fished lakers.  The units are still around, I see them every once in awhile come up on Marketplace and E Bay.  There are videos on YouTube about them if you want to look at it. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2022, 09:15 AM »
Not sure if you can find one, but the Clam Runner Thermal was a good flipover.  They may have stopped making them, but they were used for guys that fished lakers.  The units are still around, I see them every once in awhile come up on Marketplace and E Bay.  There are videos on YouTube about them if you want to look at it.
They are no longer in production.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2022, 09:30 AM »
Too Bad!  If he can find one, this may be what he is looking for.  I see that they still sell the replacement shell - if he can find an old one. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.