Author Topic: UTV trailer  (Read 1793 times)

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
UTV trailer
« on: Dec 03, 2021, 05:42 PM »
How are you guys securing your UTV down on an open trailer? Just want to be safe when I travel.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: UTV trailer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2021, 06:47 PM »
just 4 rachet straps.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2021, 07:37 PM »
Strap to the frame not the bumpers.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2021, 07:16 AM »
4 heavy straps, make sure to put the transmission in neutral, not park, otherwise you run the risk of ruining the gears.  If your UTV has a windshield and the machine is pointed forward, you risk rock chips and the sandblasting effect, summer usage is even worse.  Even though I have a 30" front shield on my open trailer, the glass windshield on my Ranger is sandblasted (I can't imagine what it would do to a plastic windshield), lesson learned.  I quit using the open trailer for the UTV for that reason, now only use the long enclosed one.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2021, 06:05 AM »
I use 4 ratchet straps, 1 on each corner
It must be something in the water.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2021, 12:14 PM »
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2021, 08:47 AM »
I've been trailering my UTV for 7 years.  So not a crazy long time of experience.  But I've tried using straps attached at the frame.  If you fix your straps to the frame of the UTV, you may be in for some problems.  Since the frame of the UTV will travel up and down (due to the suspension) the straps will become loose and taught.  I've had it where one strap became so loose when the trailer dipped, the suspension compressed and the strap came off the frame of the trailer.  Fortunately, I had multiple straps in use, and that was the only one that failed.

My best suggestion is to use some form of e-track.  I use the Erikson wheel chock kit.  It's super fast, and super safe.  I can have my UTV up on the trailer and strapped down in about one minute.  No more fuss with straps.  Here's a link to the item on wallyworld, but I'm sure you could find it (or something similar) at your preferred power sports/fleet store.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Erickson-Wheel-Chock-Kit-W-hdw/368655327

Edit*
Ranger619 has the same system as me.  Just a different brand.  Can't recommend something like this enough.  It doesn't have to be an actual wheel chock.  E-tracks works well too.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2021, 01:30 PM »
Straps are fine, tie them to the frame or bumpers DOWN to the trailer so that the suspension compresses a little. 1 in each corner. IMHO wheel chocks only would be dangerous, especially if you’re unfortunate enough to get into an accident.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Barfnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2021, 08:02 PM »
I've been trailering my UTV for 7 years.  So not a crazy long time of experience.  But I've tried using straps attached at the frame.  If you fix your straps to the frame of the UTV, you may be in for some problems.  Since the frame of the UTV will travel up and down (due to the suspension) the straps will become loose and taught.  I've had it where one strap became so loose when the trailer dipped, the suspension compressed and the strap came off the frame of the trailer.  Fortunately, I had multiple straps in use, and that was the only one that failed.

My best suggestion is to use some form of e-track.  I use the Erikson wheel chock kit.  It's super fast, and super safe.  I can have my UTV up on the trailer and strapped down in about one minute.  No more fuss with straps.  Here's a link to the item on wallyworld, but I'm sure you could find it (or something similar) at your preferred power sports/fleet store.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Erickson-Wheel-Chock-Kit-W-hdw/368655327

Edit*
Ranger619 has the same system as me.  Just a different brand.  Can't recommend something like this enough.  It doesn't have to be an actual wheel chock.  E-tracks works well too.

I also use these and they are the best way I have found to tie down quickly and securely. I have probably pulled my SXS and Wheeler 20,000 miles and have never had one single issue using these. My cabin is about 7 miles down a rough seasonal road and I used to break/lose a few straps a year when I was hooking to the frame. I have not had any issues since switching to this style of tie down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.