Author Topic: GREEN light for Laker night fishing?  (Read 9118 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
GREEN light for Laker night fishing?
« on: Nov 29, 2017, 08:20 AM »
One of my buddies showed me a post on Facebook of a guy fishing with some sort of green light while night fishing for Lake Trout. It was very bright and it lit up the ice all around his hub- you could actually see it from outside his hub lighting up the ice underneath and all around it. Supposedly it works by attacting bait fish to the hole. Anyone use one, or seen it used?
Where's the FISH?!

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: GREEN light for Laker night fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2017, 10:25 PM »
Definitely not legal in my neck of the woods to use a light specifically for attracting fish... check your regs!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Ok- thanks. I wondered about that.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:06 AM »
I've heard of this as well - haven't looked into it much though!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Last year, I purchased a Quarrow 90-LED fishing light (see https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quarrow-90-Green-LED-Submersible-Fishing-Light/44729735?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227033583807&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=84547557768&wl4=aud-310687321882:pla-117005331648&wl5=9029401&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=44729735&wl13=&veh=sem)

I've used it once in open water on a trophy trout fishery (rainbows), and once on the ice on another trophy trout fishery (cutts/bows/hybrids/brookies), and am so-far not impressed.  There is no question that it attracts a cloud of zooplankton.  However, we've yet to see much action with it.  Seems like the fishing still gets quiet after dark, same as normal at those locations without the light.

One nice thing was we could see our jigs without using IR mode on the camera.

I plan to play with it some more, but so far I'm not to excited about the results.

YMMV
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2017, 11:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply Steve. I think the guy that was using the green light on FB was specifically targeting Lakers. So maybe results with rainbows or browns are not as good?
Where's the FISH?!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2017, 11:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply Steve. I think the guy that was using the green light on FB was specifically targeting Lakers. So maybe results with rainbows or browns are not as good?

Right.  Who knows?  I saw the Laker-specific info but the question of "used one or seen it used" led me to reply.  I wonder if there are any scientific studies about that.  My buddy likes to night fish for (non-Laker) trout under very-bright white lights and claims to have had some good success.

Lots of the videos they show for these things are targeting "speckled trout" in salt water.  Something else entirely.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2017, 11:26 AM »
OK- thanks Steve.  I never target trout at night. Maybe I should try it sometime.............. ..............especial ly now that I have the Milwaukee Cordless Searchlight!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2017, 03:32 PM »
We use underwater lights when open water fish. Light brings in plankton. Plankton attract baitfish (shad for us here) Sometimes takes hours, but eventually (not always) gamefish show up. Crappie like like the light, while trout in shallow water get spooked. Fishing for lake trout is often in deep water where light would never reach. Nowadays most underwater lights are LED so they don't use nearly as much power and are brighter. Making them a great choice for lighting up your shanty. Rule of thumb that I use is:: if I can see can fish;  then fish can see me. Every move. Every shadow. Good example is like when you move up to a bank with trout in shallow water, they spook. Hope info was helpful. Good luck and tightlines!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:21 PM »
Well, I wasn’t looking for it, but found a smaller Quarro light today at Dunham’s. I took it as a sign, and bought it! Hope to try it soon! 😎

Where's the FISH?!

Offline mark D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2018, 01:56 PM »
 I believe they also need to get used to the light first impression would be scared of it if the lake is normally dark. 

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:47 AM »
I know this is an older post, but when I was kid I fished an open water lake in the summer with my uncle.  I rigged up a car headlight and strapped it to a small inner tube.  We went out in his boston whaler and anchored.  We put the light in.   Wind was blowing gently and the boat was moving side to side a little, we had no action.   We then set a 2nd anchor off the stern to hold us steady and that's when the cool things happened.  1st came these tiny dots swimming around had no idea what they were but they were moving.  Then came the larger dots with a few bait fish swimming around.  After a while, you could see trout swimming by staying to the edges of the light.   We caught a lot of trout that night on night crawlers.   From what I read green light is supposed to work better.    Never did do that again.  ???  My kids are old enough, maybe I will. It works.
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2021, 11:59 AM »
Here in Alberta you can only use a light if it part of the lure. Picked up some 2oz. soft jigs a few years back that had a green strobe light in it, best Lake trout lure I have ever used. Found it on line but have not been able to find it again. Haven't fished lakers the last 2-3 years so haven't really looked lately.

Have used jigs/lures with light in them before but the strobe out fished them at least 10-1

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2022, 11:15 AM »
Green lights are used to start the food chain, and it can take a few hours to see any type of results. I've heard squid prefer blue lights but I am not sure.

I've seen them used in salt pretty effectively but you need to commit hours to the spot because it can take that long to get all the smaller bait fish in, followed by bigger fish.

Ideally your setting up your hub, placing the light away from where you are fishing, ideally you want your bait right where the light transitions to the darker water. Do not place light in your hub, place it outside. Then wait, and wait some more. Again, it can take hours to see any result. I also have heard they work better in shallower water, less than 20 feet.

I tried mine last year at night, it took over 2.5 hours to see any type of bait fish and close to 4 hrs until any fish came in that would be worth casting to.

So they do work, its just how long it takes.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2022, 11:58 AM »
I used one for smelt fishing last year and it seemed to help keep the school from taking off.
westernmas on the finder

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2022, 04:47 AM »
been using submersible light since the 80s.  ill tell ya they do work!  and they work on every type of fish ive tried accept walleyes.  ill admit i have tried the walleye thing very much though.  on a clear lake it can even turn on the gill bite at night!  a bright moon is the only thing i found to hamper its effectiveness too.

use it in the rite spot and they will come!

Offline QuinnTheEskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2022, 06:26 AM »
I don’t know about lake trout but they definitely work for rainbows and crappie.  Night is when I have the most free time so that’s how I fish. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.