Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Darkhouse Spearing

Golf Ball Guys

<< < (3/6) > >>

P Meyette:
very intresting

maddogg:
When I was a youngen my Dad took me on Lake Winnebago to see his friends sturgeon spearing shack. I'll never forget  looking down the hole and seeing a Blatz beer sign 10 feet down. He told me I should keep that a secret. Well the word is out now.

Iceassin:
So. Let me get this straight. A golf ball is attached to the line somehow with the bait/decoy below it? And it works as an attractant?

Bucket Rump:

--- Quote from: Iceassin on Nov 15, 2021, 07:28 AM ---So. Let me get this straight. A golf ball is attached to the line somehow with the bait/decoy below it? And it works as an attractant?

--- End quote ---

Typically it's just the golf ball by itself attached to line via a screwed in eye hook. I will sometimes add a second eye hook at the opposing end (bottom) of the golf ball and attach a spoon such as a Daredevil or the like.  Some guys will just spin a large spoon by itself.

Often times the golf ball setup is run on one side of the spearing hole and a typical decoy is run on a second line on the other side of the hole at a different depth.  Having the two lines in the water can help judge the length of a fish if you know the distance between the lines, 25" apart for example.

Bucket Rump:

--- Quote from: maddogg on Nov 14, 2021, 11:08 AM ---When I was a youngen my Dad took me on Lake Winnebago to see his friends sturgeon spearing shack. I'll never forget  looking down the hole and seeing a Blatz beer sign 10 feet down. He told me I should keep that a secret. Well the word is out now.

--- End quote ---

Fish are pretty curious creatures for the most part and will investigate a lot of things like that sign.  Bowling pins are another favorite deke you often see used.  For pike I've started using the cleaned up and dried shoulder blades of deer I harvest that I paint up - read somewhere that's what Native Americans used for decoys many generations ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version