Author Topic: Where to at the Strap  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where to at the Strap
« on: Dec 14, 2004, 03:03 PM »
I have recently returned from 6 years out of the country and am hopin to do my first fishing since comming back. The weather is looking good for it.

I am a little curious as to how the fishing is at the Strap these days. When I left Canada, Blackstrap was undergoing changes with the limits and stocks were being released in the lake. How has this turned out for the Strap? Is there a significant change in the fish population? I would also appreciate any advice on locations to ice fish. I'm looking for perch and Walleye. I used to have luck with maggots and/or grub worms. Is baiting still similar? Again, any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS: Ice condition info is also needed.

Offline saskafishman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fish or perish
Re: Where to at the Strap
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2004, 03:18 PM »
  well the fishing at the strap was alittle slow last weekend.  but there was 10- 12 inches of ice lakewide.  maggots are still used for the perch , minnows or meal worms for the walleye and mostly smelts ( large ones) for the pike.     I have found that the north end tends to be a bit more productive in the early part of the season with the north road and the point where the two branches of the lake meet being a great spot for early season walleye.    I have however found broderick to be stellar gfor early season pike ( good numbers of fish).    do you live in stoon? are you planning a trip this weekend?   good luck

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Where to at the Strap
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:48 AM »
Ya, I am thinking about taking my Grandfather out this Friday. I am hoping to get some action even if it's Perch. Nice sized Perch with the possibility of catching a walleye would be good. Do you figure the ski hill point is a viable option? What about 100m out from the causeway. I used to have luck catching tons of Perch there. Many of them were above average size. However, that was 6 years ago.

PS: To get to the ski hill location, do you park up on the road and walk down onto the lake? How far off shore are you fishing? What's the depth? Thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.