Author Topic: Is The Good Old Fashioned Barrel Knot Obsolete?  (Read 4900 times)

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Is The Good Old Fashioned Barrel Knot Obsolete?
« on: Mar 28, 2016, 09:40 AM »
I was poking around the general tips form and got into a few threads about knots. All I have ever tied in 35 years is a simple barrel knot (Twice through lure/swivel eye, then twice through the loop) I have never had lousy knot strength issues. But after reading about the other three million types of knots guys are using I am confused. What's wrong with the barrel, looks like nobody is using them any more
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: Is The Good Old Fashioned Barrel Knot Obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2016, 10:07 AM »
Not at all, it's used for a multitude of things other than fishing. Still one of my favorite go-to's.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2016, 10:17 AM »
Thanks 52. That makes me feel a little better. I can tie the barrel with my eyes closed. After looking at some of the diagrams I am not sure I could tie some of the others during the day, with a magnifying device. lol

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2016, 10:28 AM »
Maybe we're not talking about the same knot when we say, "barrel."  This is what that means to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU8Uc0K7qaw

I've used it, but only for tying line to leader, never for tying on terminal tackle.  Not sure how to apply it.  Do you have a diagram?
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2016, 10:36 AM »
Steve,

Maybe I have it misnamed then. I am talking about the knot where the line goes through the lure eye, then 4-6 wraps around itself, then through the loop. Pull it tight. Finished

Offline DrewFlu33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2016, 10:39 AM »
Steve,

Maybe I have it misnamed then. I am talking about the knot where the line goes through the lure eye, then 4-6 wraps around itself, then through the loop. Pull it tight. Finished

I'd call that one a clinch knot.  If you put the tag end back up through the loop that's created when putting it through the first loop by the hook eye, then it's an improved clinch knot.   I've also heard this one called the "fisherman's knot."

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2016, 10:52 AM »
Bingo Drew - That's the one. And you have your option of going through the eye twice, and the loop twice.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2016, 11:00 AM »
I'd call that one a clinch knot.  If you put the tag end back up through the loop that's created when putting it through the first loop by the hook eye, then it's an improved clinch knot.

x2.

This is the first knot I learned as a child, and is very useful.  For example, it is very quick to tie when you use "searching" or "attractor" patterns to figure out what flies the trout are hitting on the river.  It is also very easy to tie and to teach, so it makes a good first knot to get the kids started with self-service fishing.  The downside of the knot is that it makes the knot the weakest place between you and the fish, or the most likely point of failure.   When a fish breaks off and you have that tell-tale "squiggly" at the end of the line, you know that the knot failed.

About 30 yrs. ago I was introduced to the "Trilene" knot and now use it exclusively.  I have a palomar buddy (loyal to the palomar knot) and we have gone head to head and taken turns winning.  The Knot wars guys may be about as scientific as the myth busters (sometimes not super), but they are pretty fun.  They declared a tie between these two using mono (which I use), and said that in repeated tests, the line broke before the knot.  Here's the episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91aqhBQFLPk

It seems like between these two, even working with young teens, most people find one or the other pretty easy to tie.  With all the things to go wrong when I have a big fish on, using a 100%-strength knot can help eliminate one.

Now, I may have risked stirring up a religion-and-politics knot preference hubbub.  Of course it is all IMO and YMMV.   ;D

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2016, 11:02 AM »
That's my go-to knot for about 90% of my fishing as well. The other 10% is the palomar knot when I'm fishing braided line.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2016, 11:05 AM »
That's my go-to knot for about 90% of my fishing as well. The other 10% is the palomar knot when I'm fishing braided line.

primepin, do you tie the trilene by hand or do you use a tool?

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2016, 11:35 AM »

I use the improved clinch knot only and have never had it pull through. I've caught Tiger Muskie, Northern Pike,
                Walleye, lake Trout and all my pan fish with it. It works! :flex:

IW

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2016, 12:21 PM »
 I used the clinch knot all  the time.but the improved clinch knot is stronger/better.only other fishing knots I use is the snell knot for circle hooks and the egg loop knot for fishing salmon skeins under  a bobber.

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2016, 05:16 PM »
I have a palomar buddy (loyal to the palomar knot) and we have gone head to head and taken turns winning.  The Knot wars guys may be about as scientific as the myth busters (sometimes not super), but they are pretty fun.  They declared a tie between these two using mono (which I use), and said that in repeated tests, the line broke before the knot.  Here's the episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91aqhBQFLPk

It seems like between these two, even working with young teens, most people find one or the other pretty easy to tie.  With all the things to go wrong when I have a big fish on, using a 100%-strength knot can help eliminate one.

Now, I may have risked stirring up a religion-and-politics knot preference hubbub.  Of course it is all IMO and YMMV.   ;D

If you want to test knot strength between two knots, take a piece of line and tie a hook on each end. Hook the two hooks together and pull them apart until a knot gives out. Which ever knot gives out the first is the weaker knot. No fancy equipment needed.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2016, 05:26 PM »
Slip knot = Ford
Improved cinch = Chev
Palomar = Caddy
Bud

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2016, 06:27 PM »
I always thought it was

Ford=fix or repair daily
Chevrolet= Shove it and leave it.
Caddy= ghetto transportation

As far as knots go I have used the improved clinch knot. With my hands the way they are now I need to bring some one along to tie anything other than a granny knot. Especially if I forget my reading glasses.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2016, 07:31 PM »
If it works, you like it and can comfortably tie it when your hands are half frozen, use it. Obsolete, or just old and out of fashion?

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2016, 07:35 PM »
Maybe we're not talking about the same knot when we say, "barrel."  This is what that means to me:

(Image removed from quote.)

I've used it, but only for tying line to leader, never for tying on terminal tackle.  Not sure how to apply it.  Do you have a diagram?

I gust got dizzy...     :sick: :roflmao:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2016, 01:59 PM »
This way won't make you so dizzy, and is easy to tie.

Ted

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 31, 2016, 01:52 AM »
Palamar is the way yo go we catch 30 lb carp on size 8 hooks and 8lb line with a palamar knot line or hook will break before  knot it so easy to  tie very quick

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2016, 05:51 PM »
That's Polomar.

Barrel Knot...Blood knot.....if you fly fish it's just like tying your shoes. I can this them hanging upside down, with my toes,  eyes closed and 3 fingers tied behind my back.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2016, 10:57 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

That knot looks more like a grapevine or double Fisherman's knot...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Apr 03, 2016, 11:03 AM »
Also use the cinch knot.. It completely depends which side of the hole you lastly feed the tag end through, wrong side and it will break at 50% of test lb strength...

Wet it, pull it, test it!

<°)))>{

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Apr 03, 2016, 04:00 PM »
i found your question silly: if the knot was once good it will never become "obsolete " sure some might be better but yours will still work.
I am haunted by waters...

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Apr 08, 2016, 11:56 PM »
Also use the cinch knot.. It completely depends which side of the hole you lastly feed the tag end through, wrong side and it will break at 50% of test lb strength...

Wet it, pull it, test it!

<°)))>{
Ice Scratcher, Can you explain what the wrong side of the hole or loop is!  Attach a sketch or picture.   I use the cinch (fishermen's knot) on all lures that I direct tie to the line.  And I do have a few break at this knot.   Thanks.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #24 on: Apr 09, 2016, 04:56 AM »
Ice Scratcher, Can you explain what the wrong side of the hole or loop is!  Attach a sketch or picture.   I use the cinch (fishermen's knot) on all lures that I direct tie to the line.  And I do have a few break at this knot.   Thanks.
                  Here is a video on the improved cinch knot!

IW

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2016, 07:22 AM »
Maybe I am just ignorant or don't have time to learn a lot of knots. but the clinch knot, if made snugly as it should be, is not going to fail, based on my many years of experience.  ;)
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #26 on: Apr 09, 2016, 11:50 AM »
Maybe I am just ignorant or don't have time to learn a lot of knots. but the clinch knot, if made snugly as it should be, is not going to fail, based on my many years of experience.  ;)

:thumbsup:

IW

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Apr 09, 2016, 02:38 PM »
clinch knot and polomar knot are real popular these days----for good reason

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #28 on: Apr 21, 2016, 02:47 PM »
I still tie my double secret probation knot.  LOL.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #29 on: Apr 22, 2016, 08:42 PM »
OK, for mono/fluoro take your pick of favorite knot; they all work to varying extents.

When you venture into "super line" territory, most of the time you will need some more slip resistant knots, uni (my go to), Palomar etc. Clinches and "improved" clinches will slip over time/stress and disappoint. I don't know a ton of knots, just the few that serve me well.

That said, for conventional lines I still use the "Trilene" (improved clinch) knot.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.