Author Topic: Slip bobber or spring bobber  (Read 5424 times)

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Slip bobber or spring bobber
« on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:00 PM »
I have a 27" ML rod that I'm thinking of using when I want to fish minnows for crappie. I'm trying to decide if I want to use a slip float, or just put a spring bobber. I'm not really interested in buying a dead stick rod since I don't fish with minnows that often. The downside to a slip float would be having to adjust the bobber stop for the depth that I'm fishing. The two spring bobbers that I'm looking at is an HT Big Eye and Action spring bobber. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Slip bobber or spring bobber
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:25 PM »
I've always steered away from slip Bobbers unless I'm drifting for walleye or steelhead during a run in the river.... Seems like a lot more of a hassle as opposed to a spring bobber.... I vote spring bobber but curious to hear any and all pros of the slip bobber... I'm always looking for new tactics that WORK
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:22 PM »
.....TUCR Bullwhip..... ;D

I absolutely loath spring bobbers and I don’t use floats so my advice is neither. Having said that, if I had to really choose between a float and a spring bobber, I’d pick a spring bobber. All of the titanium ones suck, IMO, and I actually prefer the flat wire HT style spring bobbers. They are strong enough for your minnow and sensitive enough for the crappie. Just my .02¢
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2017, 09:25 PM »
.....TUCR Bullwhip..... ;D

I absolutely loath spring bobbers and I don’t use floats so my advice is neither. Having said that, if I had to really choose between a float and a spring bobber, I’d pick a spring bobber. All of the titanium ones suck, IMO, and I actually prefer the flat wire HT style spring bobbers. They are strong enough for your minnow and sensitive enough for the crappie. Just my .02¢

Ryan, I appreciate your rod recommendation, but I'm really not interested in a custom rod. Maybe if I fished live bait more. I think that I'm leaning towards the HT.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2017, 09:27 PM »
I've always steered away from slip Bobbers unless I'm drifting for walleye or steelhead during a run in the river.... Seems like a lot more of a hassle as opposed to a spring bobber.... I vote spring bobber but curious to hear any and all pros of the slip bobber... I'm always looking for new tactics that WORK

Thanks for your reply. I'm leaning towards a spring bobber.

Offline tkfurs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2017, 09:32 PM »
If I'm in a shanty with heat, I use slip bobbers,  sping bobbers out in the open when line freezes.

Both have a place in your gear, try both and decide which you prefer.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:21 AM »
As long as it's balanced out for the application it doesn't really matter much. Personally prefer a spring bobber for most applications but if using live minnows a slip bobber seems to be easier to read, but having it balanced out right is essential

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:55 AM »
I use the HT Big Eye ...EZPZ on/off ...a spring bobber will impart some action ...light taps or wind ...not much action with a slip bobber ...set it and forget it ...

not sure what style fisherman your are ..run n gunner or set up in a shanty ..but some rod holders could be incorporated in your set up .

https://www.amazon.com/HT-BRK-1-Rocker-Bucket-Holder/dp/B00CJJ5U7S

https://www.scheels.com/p/ht-enterprises-rockin-rod-holder/02933302507.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:08 AM »
I prefer spring bobbers, good at any depth, and if balanced right, you can see an "up bite" that crappie are known for...

<°)))>{

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:46 AM »
i prefer a slip bobber when deadsticking for crappie. i jig actively 100% of the time, so it's easier for me to watch a slip float out of the corner of my eye. also, a properly balanced float shows the classic crappie "up-bite" much more visually than a spring bobber does; the float lays over on its side, while a spring bobber moves a fraction of an inch or so. with my fishing style, i'm not likely to notice that small of a movement, so the float's the way to go.

some things to help make slip floats a bit more effective on ice:

1. use the slip floats where the line runs through a hole at the base of the float. i've encountered a lot of freeze-up issues using floats where the line runs straight through the center of the float. those with the hole at the base don't freeze up.

2. rig up your float rod at home, and check that your float is properly balanced. balancing a float is when you change the amount of weight the float is supporting so that the float sits exactly the way you want it. i like setting it so that the water is just above the color on the float (don't forget to consider the weight of your bait! a delicate float can be unbalanced by a singe eurolarvae! use larger floats for live minnows)

3. fish with floats often. get used to the way they move, and figure out exactly which make and model works best for you. once you're confident using floats, you'll be a lot more successful using them in the future.

4. use larger hooks than you would when jigging. a larger hook has a larger hook gap, and a larger hook gap makes for a better hookup ratio. since you're not in constant contact with the rod, your reaction time will be significantly longer when you detect a bite. the larger hook will help you connect with a few more fish.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:01 PM »
frabill titanium strike indicators.

it's a wire with a large loop for the line and helps with freeze ups. i add some scent to that loop so it holds even less water.
they are fully adjustable and easy to add or remove them. they retract fully for heavy spoons or to transport. they clip on/off with a round rubber keeper that sits up on the tip top guide or blank. there is only only size to buy.

they are expensive unless on sale. i tried a lot of different wires before these and now i don't look for a better solution.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2017, 04:40 PM »
I use the HT Big Eye ...EZPZ on/off ...a spring bobber will impart some action ...light taps or wind ...not much action with a slip bobber ...set it and forget it ...

not sure what style fisherman your are ..run n gunner or set up in a shanty ..but some rod holders could be incorporated in your set up .

https://www.amazon.com/HT-BRK-1-Rocker-Bucket-Holder/dp/B00CJJ5U7S

https://www.scheels.com/p/ht-enterprises-rockin-rod-holder/02933302507.html

I have a one man flip and move until I find fish. I had an Eagle Claw rod holder that I've had for years and managed to loose it last season, so I will check these out.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2017, 04:43 PM »
i prefer a slip bobber when deadsticking for crappie. i jig actively 100% of the time, so it's easier for me to watch a slip float out of the corner of my eye. also, a properly balanced float shows the classic crappie "up-bite" much more visually than a spring bobber does; the float lays over on its side, while a spring bobber moves a fraction of an inch or so. with my fishing style, i'm not likely to notice that small of a movement, so the float's the way to go.

some things to help make slip floats a bit more effective on ice:

1. use the slip floats where the line runs through a hole at the base of the float. i've encountered a lot of freeze-up issues using floats where the line runs straight through the center of the float. those with the hole at the base don't freeze up.

2. rig up your float rod at home, and check that your float is properly balanced. balancing a float is when you change the amount of weight the float is supporting so that the float sits exactly the way you want it. i like setting it so that the water is just above the color on the float (don't forget to consider the weight of your bait! a delicate float can be unbalanced by a singe eurolarvae! use larger floats for live minnows)

3. fish with floats often. get used to the way they move, and figure out exactly which make and model works best for you. once you're confident using floats, you'll be a lot more successful using them in the future.

4. use larger hooks than you would when jigging. a larger hook has a larger hook gap, and a larger hook gap makes for a better hookup ratio. since you're not in constant contact with the rod, your reaction time will be significantly longer when you detect a bite. the larger hook will help you connect with a few more fish.

Thanks for these tips. Although I am leaning (for simplicity) towards a spring bobber, I think it would be worth my while to give slip floats a try.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2017, 04:45 PM »
frabill titanium strike indicators.

it's a wire with a large loop for the line and helps with freeze ups. i add some scent to that loop so it holds even less water.
they are fully adjustable and easy to add or remove them. they retract fully for heavy spoons or to transport. they clip on/off with a round rubber keeper that sits up on the tip top guide or blank. there is only only size to buy.

they are expensive unless on sale. i tried a lot of different wires before these and now i don't look for a better solution.

I have a couple that I use on my panfish jig rods. I agree that they are about the best out there.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2017, 04:51 PM »
I have both but use slip floats 90% of the time. The reason...I've always had a hard time holding the rod steady, so when using a spring bobber the jig will always be moving, and there are times when a fish will bite only when the jig is absolutely still. I do use the smallest jigs, #12 to #16 and the smallest slip bobber ( Thills ) I can to detect even the slightest of bites. Hope this helps.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2017, 06:25 PM »
I have both but use slip floats 90% of the time. The reason...I've always had a hard time holding the rod steady, so when using a spring bobber the jig will always be moving, and there are times when a fish will bite only when the jig is absolutely still. I do use the smallest jigs, #12 to #16 and the smallest slip bobber ( Thills ) I can to detect even the slightest of bites. Hope this helps.

Yes it does. Thanks!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2017, 06:55 PM »
Ryan, I appreciate your rod recommendation, but I'm really not interested in a custom rod. Maybe if I fished live bait more. I think that I'm leaning towards the HT.

I was being facetious. That’s why I continued on to recommend the flat wire HT style spring bobbers. Cheap, adjustable, and not affected by temperature. When I had to use spring bobbers (which has been years) that’s what I used and they do their job well. The TUCR recommendation wasn’t sincere.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:26 PM »
I was being facetious. That’s why I continued on to recommend the flat wire HT style spring bobbers. Cheap, adjustable, and not affected by temperature. When I had to use spring bobbers (which has been years) that’s what I used and they do their job well. The TUCR recommendation wasn’t sincere.

OK, I have a confession. After reading your post I went and took a look at the TUCR Bullwhip. But, for now I think I'm going to try and make due with the equipment that I've got.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:31 PM »
I'm sure the bullwhip is nice but idk if I can justify paying that much for an ice rod... 120$ I could buy 3 decent combos for that
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.