Author Topic: Camping on the ice.  (Read 73007 times)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
Re: Camping on the ice.
« Reply #120 on: Nov 23, 2016, 07:23 PM »
Wolves are sneaky, they are the reason I started carrying a side arn durring bow season. Blackbears and lions are easy to scare off, wolves want to eat you and dont scare.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #121 on: Nov 23, 2016, 07:26 PM »
Yep. Black bears are just stupid curious. We don't have much by big cats around these parts. Probably only a matter of time. Wolves are like me in the woods with a rifle in my hands...... Just bad intent.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #122 on: Nov 23, 2016, 07:28 PM »
True story Essox.

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Nov 24, 2016, 08:44 AM »
That sure adds a whole new level to ice camping.  We only have pesky coyotes here where i live in MI.  Never thought of the other predators scavenging the ice at night up where you guys live.  Very interesting. 

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Nov 24, 2016, 09:21 PM »
wolves all over the place up here, never had an issue.  must not like canadian meat.

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #125 on: Nov 25, 2016, 12:56 PM »
anyone have to worry about any other unusual creatures while ice camping?
The Polar Bird Team

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #126 on: Nov 25, 2016, 01:06 PM »
Best cover the holes ~ muskrats and otter are common in some areas.    :woot:

Being startled awake can cause wicked antics, depending on alcohol consumption.      :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Nov 25, 2016, 01:09 PM »
I almost shot a wolf on mon.  Just got a new rifle and needless to say I don't like the bdc reticle.  I always carry while on the ice.  There is always the possibility of a winter bear.  They scare me more than any wolf or wolverine mainly because if they're up in the winter they are starving and not afraid of anything.  Heard enough horror stories to know you don't want to mess with a winter bear.  The other thing I'm worried about is big earthquakes during early ice.  Over 15 inches isn't much of a problem but less and there is the possibility of the lake breaking up. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #128 on: Nov 25, 2016, 05:14 PM »
Best cover the holes ~ muskrats and otter are common in some areas.

I've had muskrats come up the holes a few times. It's a little startling but certainly not dangerous. Had a pair of fox run off with a bag of dead bait once. Bold little pukes. They made several tries at it until they realized my yelling and whistling wasn't gonna hurt 'em. Haven't had an encounter but if you leave anything edible unsecured the 'coons will probably find it and claim it as theirs. Leave a mess to boot.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Fish Boy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Nov 26, 2016, 12:26 AM »
Lots of great info on here!
I tried sky diving once.....went to Google Earth and zoomed in really fast

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #130 on: Nov 26, 2016, 06:24 AM »
Lots of great info on here!

Agreed...it's very interesting reading for sure! Wolves, bears, wolverines...my local lakes don't have any of the good stuff, maybe a fox, perhaps a coyote, and local dogs who mark their territory on your hub or tip ups....and most of them only have two legs!    ;D

Keep them coming...really good read!    :clap:

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #131 on: Nov 28, 2016, 10:10 PM »
The only critter we had besides coyotes on the ice was the rare muskrat through the hole one time.  lol, cannot imagine running into a wolf or bear on the ice like that.  And i agree with the rest, keep the info coming, it is awesome.  Maybe we can get some pics too.
The Polar Bird Team

Offline robbiej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Nov 28, 2016, 10:40 PM »
wolves all over the place up here, never had an issue.  must not like canadian meat.

Do you go in the Montreal Lake derby? If so, how has it been

Cheers

Offline Wind Flag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Nov 29, 2016, 05:49 PM »
I invite unusual creatures out on the ice with me all the time. Some of them drink too much, but they're not too much of a problem.

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:42 PM »
I invite unusual creatures out on the ice with me all the time. Some of them drink too much, but they're not too much of a problem.

Hahaha, best quote so far!   :clap:
The Polar Bird Team

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #135 on: Nov 30, 2016, 05:26 AM »

Yes.  People...Alburg VT had it's share of interesting creatures when we were camping up there.  Coyotes too.  They were around in numbers on the ice but never got close.

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Nov 30, 2016, 07:18 AM »

I've heard two aggressive wolf stories from northern natives since the big fires of 2015. The reasoning goes that food is scarce over large areas and they are hungry and roaming out of their previous ranges in search of food. One was about wolves harrassing fishermen pulling nets, the other about wolves wrecking a tent camp during moose hunting season. That one was told by a heavy set pair of brothers who with typical Cree humour mentioned the wolves thought they were going to get a big lunch that day.

The chances of animal problems is less in the bush than in the city but it's a good idea out there to have Plan B. Personally, I've not seen evidence of or heard wolves since the fires around Nemeiben Lake.

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:40 PM »
I've heard two aggressive wolf stories from northern natives since the big fires of 2015. The reasoning goes that food is scarce over large areas and they are hungry and roaming out of their previous ranges in search of food. One was about wolves harrassing fishermen pulling nets, the other about wolves wrecking a tent camp during moose hunting season. That one was told by a heavy set pair of brothers who with typical Cree humour mentioned the wolves thought they were going to get a big lunch that day.

The chances of animal problems is less in the bush than in the city but it's a good idea out there to have Plan B. Personally, I've not seen evidence of or heard wolves since the fires around Nemeiben Lake.

That is interesting. 

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #138 on: Dec 27, 2016, 01:09 PM »
Ammondude and I did our second (annual?) overnight at Henry’s Lake in Island Park, ID, on Dec 19-20, 2016.

Preparation began shortly after last year’s trip (see the original post here: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.msg3440566#msg3440566).  I had new wiring for the snowmobile trailer all year, but the week before the trip there I was on a creeper underneath the trailer rewiring it at 6 degrees F.  Most of the other prep comprised buying new stuff.  The hardest part was the second snowmobile.  I thought I had my older sled running, but just before the trip it died and I didn’t have the time to get it going again.  Long story short, I bought another snowmobile!  The “new” one is a ’97 Polaris Indy Trail 500 with an X-Tra 10 and longer track with 2-inch paddles.  I normally like 2-ups for ice fishing, but I was determined that nothing was going to mess up our trip.

If I was going to tow an extra sled (cargo sled behind my ice fishing sled, behind my snowmobile), my ice fishing sled needed a rear hitch.   I found one with a large flat plate that attached nicely to the bottom of the sled:

After leaving a little later than planned, we arrived at our parking spot around 2:00 p.m.  It was about 11 degrees F.  Before long, the snowmobiles were unloaded and the sleds were packed up.  I towed my fishing sled, with a covered Jet Sled XL behind it, and the Ammondude just a covered Jet Sled XL.

With our desired access road snowed in, we attempted to try a new route to get on the lake, based on advice from a friend.  The road was way too plowed and we ended up pulling our new Jet Sleds over some nasty gravel.  Yikes!  And then we discovered we had made a wrong turn and we ended up on a private neighborhood road.  With daylight waning, we gently trespassed onto the Lake.  My apologies and thanks to the nice folks of that little subdivision.  We pulled up to our exact, intended destination at about 3:00 p.m.

It was great to load up once, drive to camp, and set up—no shuttle runs.  The Jet Sled XL cargo sleds with covers and HD hitches were terrific!  Shappell says the covers can fit over a five gallon bucket, but they would not fit over a bunch of them.  Even though the sides of the cover didn’t quite reach the sled when stretched over the load, they worked very, very well.   The hitch I had installed on the back of my fishing sled also worked perfectly.  The ice fishing sled can be a little tippy, but no problems.

After passing three fishermen on the way to camp, we saw and heard no-one the rest of the trip.  Here is a look at our camp:

And a glance or two inside:

Camp was setup with about 30 minutes of light to spare.  Quickfish 6, bunkbed cots, Big Buddy heater, etc.  Time to fish!  I almost instantly caught a smaller rainbow/cutthroat hybrid.  Cool!  I quickly released it to replace it with something bigger that never came.  Darkness quickly set in and the fishing turned off.

We shortly plugged in our experiment for the trip, a Quarrow 90-LED submersible light, and jumped into the QuickFish 6 for some evening fishing.  On the camera you could see the zooplankton migrating into the light.  We saw a few fish but got no bites.  With the light on, we could see our jigs without resorting to IR mode on the camera.

Did the light make a difference?  We don’t know.  For sure, it drew a cloud of zooplankton, but we’re not sure the rest of the food chain noticed.

For light inside the shelter, we tried out two Etekcity LED lanterns.  At only 30 lumens I had my doubts, but the price was very good at Amazon, and the reviews were positive.   They are great little units that reportedly go 10-12 hours on a set of 3 AA batteries.  In the end, we agreed that two more of them, or something brighter, would be in order.

Time to warm up a bit and make supper.  We cranked up the Big Buddy heater to high and turned on the fan and WOW!  Where the Portable Buddy would take the edge off the cold, the Big Buddy made it simply warm in there.  We’re talking strip off layers warm.  As the ceiling defrosted, we wiped it with one of our beach towels, and with the heater fan on, the moving air kept the ceiling dry.  Nice.  The towel-the-ceiling thing turns out to be a once-per-warming-session deal.  The beach towels were a good move.  I went to put up the CO detector only to discover it was still in the bag with the other heater, at home.  D’oh!

Instead of the Sterno stove we used a tiny propane/butane job that did amazingly well.  Our traditional dinner of smoked brisket sandwiches on onion rolls was very nice.  Once again we heated the brisket in a bag, in a pan of water, then used the hot water to make Tang.  Aaaah.

After fishing a while longer, we stepped outside to brush our teeth, etc.  It was clear and the stars were AMAZING.  You could see the milky way so clearly.

We liked the floor panels so much last year that we took 12.  But we only used 6.  Four under the cot to keep it dry from below, and two on which to stand and change clothing.

With the heater on, we changed into clean dry everything, turned off the propane, and jumped into bed.  When we had set up the bunkbeds we discovered that the new extensions to increase the space between them had never been added to the cot bags and had been left at home.  D’oh!  We used the exact same sleeping system as last year, and it is a lock for use in the future.  So warm and comfy.  Once again we found no need for the heater overnight.

I was awoken at 4:45 a.m. by a bell and turned on a light to see a pole bouncing slightly.  When I got to it I had to break 1/4 inch of ice in the hole.  By the time I freed the line well enough the fish was gone.  It had taken the mealworm off my jig.  I rebaited and went back to sleep.  A single bite overnight seems to be our established pattern.

With no alarm set, I awoke again about 15 minutes before sunrise.  Getting dressed with the heater on is still amazingly comfortable.  Ammondude was so comfy that he slept another hour while I got setup and fishing.

The day was slow but produced a couple of cutts for me between 2 and 3 lbs. 

The Ammondude got a 3.5 lb. cut and a 4.25 lb. hybrid.  Very pretty.

Here is a video from the Ammondude of camp and our bed setup:

https://youtu.be/kSm9qjJrNgI

For at-camp restroom, we had opted for the Luggable Loo.  It is not the most stable thing in the world when sitting on ice and snow, and the opening is uncomfortably small.  But using it was better than a 4-mile round trip to the nearest outhouse.  I used it once and I’m glad we had it.  I’m also glad that nobody was around because I just used it outside!  The Double Doodie bags you can buy for it work very well.  It comes with some blue crystals in a small packet.  Don’t put that packet in your pocket unless you want a blue pocket.  Just sayin’.

The hole outside for the submersible light had been covered with a Cabela’s (ThermaSeat) ice hole cover.  As we packed up we found that the hole was still not frozen.

Packed up and ready to head out at about 3:00 p.m., we elected not to head back through the little subdivision.  I knew of a public access about a mile on the other side.  It is not used nor plowed in the winter, but we were on snowmobiles, after all.

We found it, got up the bank OK to the parking area, and surveyed the route.  It turned out to be a one-lane dirt road up the hillside.  But hey, we were on snowmobiles.  So off we go.  Partway up the road I realize that the road has drifted in and I am climbing up the hill in about 3 feet of powder pulling two heavy sleds behind.  The machine slows.  I gun it and hang on for the wild ride.  About 150  yards from the top, the snowmobile slows and stops.  Stuck!  Turning around I discover that the ice fishing sled has tipped over and is making a great anchor.

We got out of there, but it went something like this:  Unhitch the sleds and break trail to the top.  Turn around (take the snowmobile back down), unload the extra gear off the ice fishing sled and tow it to the top.  Go back and tow the Jet Sled to the top.  Go back and get the extra gear and carry that to the top.  Go back and make sure the Ammondude makes it up the hill.  Hook everything back up and continue the trip out.  After managing my layers carefully for two days, I was by that time sweating up a storm.  That new sled with the extra track and paddles had saved the day.

Here is a look at the caravan as we returned to the truck:

In all, a grand adventure and pinnacle experience for us.

Identified improvements from last year:

Two snow machines: A must and the new sled saved our bacon.
More cargo space:  Jet Sled XLs with covers and HD hitches are two thumbs up.
More cooler space: The second Igloo cooler was perfect.
More heat: We love the Big Buddy heater and the cute 11-lb cylinder to go with it.  Total propane usage was only .75 gallons.
Bunk bed extensions: Well, they’re packed with the cots now.
Bigger wipe-the-wall towels: Two beach towels were great.
Two full-size action packers: This was just right for storing all layers but bibs and coats, overnight.
At-the-camp restroom option: The Luggable Loo did the job and it weighs nothing.

To do Better Next Time

Get the blasted extensions into the cot bags (done).
Get the CO detector into the right case (done).
Pack some paper towels in the kitchen bag.
Leave the spare propane tank at home.
Take fewer floor panels (like 6).
Cover the inside holes overnight.
More light (see above).
Get an earlier start to enable afternoon fishing on day 1.
If we return to Henry’s, use the easy access up the shore and ride the shoreline to our spot, rather than fight the more difficult (or private) access that is closer.
I still have my eye on an Eskimo Fatfish 9416i.

Our camp is still not mobile, but I think that is the best setup for us if we’re overnighting.  And we’re still junior dudes compared to Drifter.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Dec 27, 2016, 01:30 PM »
Wow, great read Steve. Thanks for sharing.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Dec 27, 2016, 06:14 PM »
Awesome post, great stuff! Looks like a blast!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #141 on: Dec 27, 2016, 06:24 PM »
FG Steve great trip and awesome addition the thread.  I suggest you update this yearly.  I haven't camped yet but I am going to as soon as possible.  I will certainly post then...Thanks again for the post...thats a lot of work to write that up.  Benefits many, nice job!

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #142 on: Dec 27, 2016, 08:41 PM »
This is so frickin' kewl!!! I'd love to camp on the ice for a weekend, or even a week! (just as long as I had a warm place to shower!)
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #143 on: Dec 27, 2016, 08:47 PM »
Steve great adventure, I'm considering doing something similar in the future, but we need a winter like 2012 to even consider sleeping overnight here in Northern Indiana.  Thanks for sharing it will help me for when I get ready to try it.

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Dec 27, 2016, 09:07 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience F G Steve!

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #145 on: Dec 27, 2016, 09:07 PM »
but we need a winter like 2012 to even consider sleeping overnight here in Northern Indiana. 
::) I could camp tonight if I didn't have to work till friday ;D

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Dec 27, 2016, 09:17 PM »
cool outing, I just want to try fishing at night for the first time

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #147 on: Dec 27, 2016, 11:10 PM »
This is so frickin' kewl!!! I'd love to camp on the ice for a weekend, or even a week! (just as long as I had a warm place to shower!)
Check out the zodi hot water showers, when I'm out for a week or two it's real nice to be able to take a shower every few days.  There's always the baby wipe shower if your only out for like 5 days.  Anything less than that it's called maning up and living with the stink.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:06 AM »
FG Steve,

Thanks for the post on this years trip.  I appreciate the detail an effort you put into the posts.

I received a 9416I for Christmas and cant wait to spend a night or two in it this year.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:29 AM »
Wow, what an adventure. A lot of thought and effort went into your trip; I can only imagine what I would forget to bring.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.