Author Topic: Tip up spools  (Read 3541 times)

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tip up spools
« on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:13 PM »

Hi all. Check out Tim Kimball.  You'll find him on Facebook . He is making cnc machines aluminum tipup spools.  23 bucks

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
Re: Tip up spools
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:41 PM »
Those are some nice looking spools
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:54 PM »
Those are killer! Even if they don't fit what I use. Very nice work and I'd say reasonably priced.  :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:38 PM »
Man, thanks for heads up.  I am building a set of tip-ups and will definitely check him out.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:35 PM »
Nice product. They look way better than  most aluminum ones out there now. Hard to find good ones that don't get whacked out of balance, then have a slight wobble.
I'm very picky about what reels I use, for that reason alone. The slightest wobble can make all the difference, might as well throw the trap back in the truck. Alot are junk these days and dont stay "true" for the Long haul. Some of the new poly reels seem to hold up ok, but it's still plastic.
2 of my older sets of 40ups still have old-school reels that have stood the test of time. Can't get em anymore though. So I'm constantly in search of that perfect reel in case I ever need to replace some of those, or when I retrofit the newer sets I obtain from time to time.
These CNC milled aluminum look like a great new product to try! Thanks for sharing. Although, I can't find any contact info when I search for him....?
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:36 AM »
Nice product. They look way better than  most aluminum ones out there now. Hard to find good ones that don't get whacked out of balance, then have a slight wobble.
I'm very picky about what reels I use, for that reason alone. The slightest wobble can make all the difference, might as well throw the trap back in the truck. Alot are junk these days and dont stay "true" for the Long haul. Some of the new poly reels seem to hold up ok, but it's still plastic.
2 of my older sets of 40ups still have old-school reels that have stood the test of time. Can't get em anymore though. So I'm constantly in search of that perfect reel in case I ever need to replace some of those, or when I retrofit the newer sets I obtain from time to time.
These CNC milled aluminum look like a great new product to try! Thanks for sharing. Although, I can't find any contact info when I search for him....?
At some point this winter we will get together and fish, I'll let you examine one of my tip.ups up close with the 4" plastic spool.. your opinion will be changed forever.

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:56 AM »
At some point this winter we will get together and fish, I'll let you examine one of my tip.ups up close with the 4" plastic spool.. your opinion will be changed forever.
Thanks. I'd like that Joe. I haven't made it over to your lake this year yet. But I will soon. Meant to bump into you there last year but I was fishing the other side.
I do have  a few traps with the heritage 4" poly spool on them. They're growing on me..lol Seem durable and smooth. but I think I need to retrofit with bigger spool bolt and bushing since I get slight play.
 But yes I'd like to check yours out up close. I've always wanted to build some of my own that resemble the 40 up.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2020, 08:09 AM »
Thanks. I'd like that Joe. I haven't made it over to your lake this year yet. But I will soon. Meant to bump into you there last year but I was fishing the other side.
I do have  a few traps with the heritage 4" poly spool on them. They're growing on me..lol Seem durable and smooth. but I think I need to retrofit with bigger spool bolt and bushing since I get slight play.
 But yes I'd like to check yours out up close. I've always wanted to build some of my own that resemble the 40 up.
My spools are from HT. Tackle,  I did  modification of them to make the trigger..
Maybe we can do it when we get M M and CD out there, and if Wanes a good boy well invite him ;D

Back on topic, those aluminum spools are nice... I almost made some from titanium  ( I work in a machine shops )
.the heavier the spool, the better it turns..

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2020, 11:36 AM »
My spools are from HT. Tackle,  I did  modification of them to make the trigger..
Maybe we can do it when we get M M and CD out there, and if Wanes a good boy well invite him ;D
Yep. I'd love that. Just let me know.

[/quote
Back on topic, those aluminum spools are nice... I almost made some from titanium  ( I work in a machine shops )
I find that true as well. I'd be curious to see the weight of the above posted spools.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2020, 11:58 AM »
The biggest issue with all tip up spools is the installation of the shaft, some use a pin into the wood, others through bolt, but Thier
issue comes when repeated soaking and drying  of the wood, loosens the spool,  most use 3/16 or # 10 hardware... I use a stainless insert that is internally threaded 1/4 -20.. the insert  has a coarse exterior thread that inserts into the wood, I apply epoxy to this, the axel,  is 1/ 4 - 20 and is threaded in the opposite side of the spool,then a custom nylon spacer is installed followed by a stainless lock nut... the axel can never loosen, and if you remove the spool  (held on by a locking wing nut
Nut) you can nevet loose the spacer and the axel stays put and is tight,  by using 1/4-20 I can drill the plastic spools with a number drill for a perfect , non wobbly fit,but the spools spin like they are on bearings, and being 4" don't seem to be prone to back lash, the larger size makes an easy tripping spool,the shear weight of 800 feet of dacron acts like a fly wheel and makes for a smooth pay out.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2020, 12:15 PM »
I have switched to heritage plastic spools but love these ..
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2020, 12:40 PM »
I have switched to heritage plastic spools but love these ..
Pretty sharp looking for sure

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2020, 12:45 PM »
They are pretty.  Wonder weight wise how they would be?   Will the fish feel it?
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2020, 12:58 PM »
Joe, that's an awesome idea putting an actual hollow insert into the wood shaft. Never thought of that.
I bet it makes for easy change out of spools too, instead of unthreading the bolt out of the wood like you said.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2020, 01:03 PM »
Joe, that's an awesome idea putting an actual hollow insert into the wood shaft. Never thought of that.
I bet it makes for easy change out of spools too, instead of unthreading the bolt out of the wood like you said.

I carry spare spools, it's as easy as winding off a wing nut, remove the spool, put on the new ( untangled spool or one with a different leader)  and winding on the wing nut, they are self locking but can be use many time before they loose their self locking qualities.. it sure come in hand when  the wind is cranking and that pint sized yellow takes just enough line to some how cause a big tangle..I carry a few spare wing nuts in case I drop one...I had some pictures of the set up, i'll try and find them

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2020, 01:05 PM »
They are pretty.  Wonder weight wise how they would be?   Will the fish feel it?

the weight works in your favor, once moving, the weight carries the momentum.. Newtons third law...the initial start is more dependent on the diameter than the actual weight, another good reason to keep your spools full. it takes less effort to turn a full one than it does one that is half filled.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2020, 02:23 PM »
the weight works in your favor, once moving, the weight carries the momentum.. Newtons third law...the initial start is more dependent on the diameter than the actual weight, another good reason to keep your spools full. it takes less effort to turn a full one than it does one that is half filled.

This.

I filled up a few, less than full spools last year on Roccus’ recommendation, and the difference in “starting” the spool was noticeably improved.

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2020, 03:14 PM »
When I was a young lineman early in my career, we spent endless hours running new electrical wire/cable up along the Hudson river in new york.

You may ask what does that have to do with a tip up spool.
It's the same principle. A full reel of cable was much easier to pull compared to a 1/2 reel. It's all about velocity.

A similar spool or reel reaction is a bait caster. Newer reels have static friction brakes and of course we all use the thumb method.
It's much easier to make longer casts with a full reel.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2020, 04:19 PM »
The biggest issue with all tip up spools is the installation of the shaft, some use a pin into the wood, others through bolt, but Thier
issue comes when repeated soaking and drying  of the wood, loosens the spool,  most use 3/16 or # 10 hardware... I use a stainless insert that is internally threaded 1/4 -20.. the insert  has a coarse exterior thread that inserts into the wood, I apply epoxy to this, the axel,  is 1/ 4 - 20 and is threaded in the opposite side of the spool,then a custom nylon spacer is installed followed by a stainless lock nut... the axel can never loosen, and if you remove the spool  (held on by a locking wing nut
Nut) you can nevet loose the spacer and the axel stays put and is tight,  by using 1/4-20 I can drill the plastic spools with a number drill for a perfect , non wobbly fit,but the spools spin like they are on bearings, and being 4" don't seem to be prone to back lash, the larger size makes an easy tripping spool,the shear weight of 800 feet of dacron acts like a fly wheel and makes for a smooth pay out.
Clever idea with the inserts, Joe. The above and your tips below, on arbors, bigger and full spools and all, should be studied by all serious anglers. Especially those who target finicky trout.
Every advantage can help!  :clap:

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:51 PM »

It's good having Wayne there with us old guys you will never know when we will need medical attention.  ???

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:01 PM »
It's good having Wayne there with us old guys you will never know when we will need medical attention.  ???
Medical attention and good, young legs. Win Win!   ;)
And, he knows how to text!  ;D

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:07 PM »
Medical attention and good, young legs. Win Win!   ;)
And, he knows how to text!  ;D

Forgot the texting. Oh what is that?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:17 PM »
I’m not sure what I’m good for, just rest assured I’m good!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:41 PM »
Yea, and I try and cut my finger off and he's no where to be found ;D

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:49 PM »
[/quote

Clear mind..

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:19 PM »
You're good for plenty, Frank. No worries, we'll take advantage, if you're in sight?  ;D

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:06 AM »

You are a snow artist.  :laugh:

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:30 AM »

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:38 AM »

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2020, 12:15 PM »
Streams still got good PSI

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.