Author Topic: Big lake white perch  (Read 1126 times)

Offline jmedy1

• IceShanty Rookie
Big lake white perch
« on: Jan 21, 2020, 12:55 PM »
This is my 4th winter fishing in the lakes region and Ive spent the majority of my time trying to get dialed in on lake trout with success largely due to tips shared from some of you fellas.  I've caught a handful WP incidentally and plan on trying to target them more this winter.  My game plan is to focus on coves in and around 30 fow and hole hop to try to find the fish.  When the fish are on the move should I be looking to mark them high in the water column or do they stay hugging the bottom?  How long should I stick to one area without seeing any promising marks before moving on?  Any insight would help i.e. time of day or types of structure i should focus on. Not looking for spots or reports,  just trying to engage in some conversation other than the "ice conditions" posts that seem to be the soup de jour lately.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
Re: Big lake white perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:17 PM »
I don't fish for them often, but my experience is that on a good day, they'll be hugging the bottom and come up to hit anything as soon as you send it down. You're about right on the depths and hole hopping.

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:21 PM »
They come and go in waves for me, once I catch one in a spot I normally stay put, whether it’s minutes or hours they’ll be back with a pack. I normally catch them around the same structure as the yellows however jigging more aggressively and higher up off the bottom, but it all depends. Often I catch them on a tip up higher up and below the ice chasing smelt. Normally I’ll be slowly catching yellows then it will die and a school or whites move in and just fed aggressively then move on and it’s back to lazy yellows. Whenever the yellows stop biting I’m always hoping it’s because something bigger just showed up in the area to feed..
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:24 PM »
white perch are nomads... they follow the bait... I get them in water from 10' to 50'... I usually start probing in 30 to 40' of water... they are prone to suspending. find the bait find the fish, again I start near the  bottom, but often find them right under the ice...it's all about the bait, check out bowls and sharp drops near shallow water, they will heard bait along the edge of the drop, stick and move until you find them, once you see the pattern you can make hay.. low light conditions are usually best, they like nasty weather...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:26 PM »
In my limited experience I have had good luck with worms for whites and other panfish seem to like waxworms more.

Offline Teamrustyhook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:40 PM »
I'm looking to dial in on the whites as well. I hear they are very good eating and the ones in winni get huge. Tim Moore is having a seminar at kittery on the 1st.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2020, 02:23 PM »
My ideal depth is 30-40 feet. I find the higher up in the column you can mark them or get them to rise the better your catch rates will be without getting snubbed
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2020, 02:38 PM »
What everyone here mentioned is spot on. I would add that a vertical over horizontal and vise versa presentation can be key. Color can be key as well.

This took 15 minutes after catching 2 of them by doing something completely different.

Just add water.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:41 AM »
"Big lake" WP love smelt on a small jig. I prefer a horizontal jig presentation.
Whether the price of smelt today, is worth a WP, is a personal decision.  :-\

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:12 AM »
"Big lake" WP love smelt on a small jig. I prefer a horizontal jig presentation.
Whether the price of smelt today, is worth a WP, is a personal decision.  :-\

X2.... all my smelt that don’t make it which is always way too many get jigged. The WP are aggressive they’ll hit a whole large dead smelt jigged.  And my tip ups with smelt going for trout normally get whacked by the WP
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:16 AM »
Where do you hook the smelt for that ? Can you use dead smelt from the grocery store?
Salmonemia

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:22 AM »
Where do you hook the smelt for that ? Can you use dead smelt from the grocery store?

Up through the bottom of the lip right through and out the top of the skull inbetween the eyes.. I normally use a pink jig head or one with eyes.

I use my dead ones but the fresher the better, they get weak after freezing or being stored awhile and whim rip off easier and loose their color.

I’ve never used grocery store smelt but have chummed sardines the pick love it.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:25 AM »
Thanks ill give it a shot
Salmonemia

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((º> Bring on the ice!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:27 AM »
I found  in the past start on the bottom, pound a few times.   Lift off, and  if you see fish around play keep away.   Smaller fish will nibble, bigger will slam it. I've had them chase it 10 feet or more.   I have also caught 30  1 to 2.2 lbs out of one hole.   Big fish stick together for sure.

Offline jmedy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:25 PM »
thanks for the replies.  Do they respond well to chum?

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:38 PM »
Depends on what you drank the night before!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.