Author Topic: Pickerel practice  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pickerel practice
« on: Feb 05, 2020, 04:55 PM »
Nice pickerel from today.. 26” in 15FOW on a large shiner. Hopefully just a warm up for this weekend. The pressure ridges I’ve seen have been pretty crazy with lots of pooling water and open holes. Hopeful they freeze before getting covered with snow, very dangerous.  :tipup:

How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pickerel practice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2020, 04:59 PM »
Nice! couple days early....
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2020, 04:59 PM »
Nice gator
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2020, 06:15 PM »
Nice slime dart. You should be safe with the beard.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2020, 06:22 PM »
Nice fish  :tipup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2020, 08:18 PM »
Nice hopefully you just caught the baby brother good luck this weekend
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2020, 08:28 PM »
That's one worry of swamp  people. .a real Gator.. I got one just like it,26" last year on friday... before the derby... I released and left a tip up in the same spot all weekend,  it never returned... 26 will usually  get you money.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2020, 04:20 AM »
That's one worry of swamp  people. .a real Gator.. I got one just like it,26" last year on friday... before the derby... I released and left a tip up in the same spot all weekend,  it never returned... 26 will usually  get you money.

We had a 29” Friday before the derby last year... ended up catching a bunch more but our 4lber was late to the board Sunday. I have a feeling this guy was a cruiser based on my location so I don’t think he would of hung around. However I did caught multiple of the same fish last year after releasing.. funny thing is I’m not even targeting pickerel.
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2020, 06:02 AM »
We had a 29” Friday before the derby last year... ended up catching a bunch more but our 4lber was late to the board Sunday. I have a feeling this guy was a cruiser based on my location so I don’t think he would of hung around. However I did caught multiple of the same fish last year after releasing.. funny thing is I’m not even targeting pickerel.

I might be wrong but I don't believe that pickerel roam too far.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2020, 09:58 AM »
I might be wrong but I don't believe that pickerel roam too far.

Denny, I often get them out over deep water, cruising just under the ice..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2020, 12:09 PM »
Denny, I often get them out over deep water, cruising just under the ice..
like roccus said often the true giants are in deep water ..my buddy caught a giant one year in 40 to 50 feet by the hole in the wall ..I have caught  a number or 4’s and 5’s dragging Carolina rigs for bass in the summer months in 30 to 40 feet
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2020, 12:22 PM »
I catch tons in 50’ all the time when Brown fishing,

I took Denny’s statement as he didn’t think that pickeral would stray far from that spot though not that he was finding it odd he got it there
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Nice pickerel from today.. 26” in 15FOW on a large shiner. Hopefully just a warm up for this weekend. The pressure ridges I’ve seen have been pretty crazy with lots of pooling water and open holes. Hopeful they freeze before getting covered with snow, very dangerous.  :tipup:

Nice one! I've developed a weird affinity for those creepy monsters.
Yeah, the pressure ridges are weird this year. I found one on a small pond that I've never seen one at before! Granted, it was small and not too sketchy, but still weird.

Be safe out there, everyone!

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2020, 03:36 AM »
Hey Jibbs,
I also picked up a big pickerel out in front of the hole in the wall during a bass tournament. I got it out of about 40 fow on a Carolina rig with either a lizzard or brush hog..I am sure I was expecting a giant smallie but ended up with a solid 5lb slyme dart..
I have caught them deep before, but didn't expect to get one that deep.
John

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2020, 04:22 AM »
Hey Jibbs,
I also picked up a big pickerel out in front of the hole in the wall during a bass tournament. I got it out of about 40 fow on a Carolina rig with either a lizzard or brush hog..I am sure I was expecting a giant smallie but ended up with a solid 5lb slyme dart..
I have caught them deep before, but didn't expect to get one that deep.
John
always the worst when you think you have a giant smallmouth or largemouth in a tourney and you see that lake snake..happened at oppeeche once..needed one more and got a big bite late in the day on the rig in deep water..damn pickeral ..
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:44 AM »
Similar situation on Oppechee. My partner for a club tournament made a nice cast under a dock and bam a giant explosion
Right away your thinking big Bass. Nope it was a giant pickerel and we didn't measure it, but we did weight it = right at 7 lbs. (About 1 lbs short of the state record).That was about 20 years ago and I would guess there are still some big pickerel in that lake.
I would NEVER ice fish near that spot due to the current from the dam that cuts across over to the launch.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2020, 06:19 AM »
Similar situation on Oppechee. My partner for a club tournament made a nice cast under a dock and bam a giant explosion
Right away your thinking big Bass. Nope it was a giant pickerel and we didn't measure it, but we did weight it = right at 7 lbs. (About 1 lbs short of the state record).That was about 20 years ago and I would guess there are still some big pickerel in that lake.
I would NEVER ice fish near that spot due to the current from the dam that cuts across over to the launch.
mine was over five as well..Great Lake for bass..what club you in?

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:16 AM »
I fished BASS NH, ABA Trail, and NEBA Trail
Retired from tournament fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.