Author Topic: Ice conditions  (Read 1684 times)

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice conditions
« on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:04 PM »
Looking to get up to southern NH this coming weekend, Keene area, any input on ice conditions  in the area?

Thanks
Jed

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:08 PM »
Sketchy... Denny will be along with a couple of tips shortly.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2020, 06:12 AM »
Stay safe. Hope this helps.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2020, 06:53 AM »
There's been a ton of posts asking about ice thickness, so I'll reply here + maybe others will look at this post, too...

if coming from NJ, you want to be extra careful

We had a thaw last wk w/60s + heavy SW wind that opening up a bunch of ponds - esp. in the middle + where the wind + waves lapped away ice.  The thing that rips open ice faster than anything else is warm temps + waves chewing away at the ice.  Now some of those areas have skimmed over + covered in snow, making them especially dangerous because it all looks the same but it's definitely not all the same under the snow.

Any wide open, wind-blown spot with current, points, or all day sun exposure should be approached with extreme caution - drill lots of holes + spud as you go.

On the other hand, places in the woods with shade + wind-sheltered held up better.  Same with coves, bays, harbors, etc. with no flow - I'm finding 5-10" while the main lake might be completely unsafe.  This may sound obvious but the further north you go, the thicker the ice gets.  So, if you find unsafe ice where you start, head north + try again.  Same deal - drill lots of holes + spud as you go.

I've been on ice from So. NH to the Lakes Region and as long as your smart about it, there's plenty of ice to fish...much more than people seem to think...but don't take my word for it, check for yourself.

Hope this helps

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2020, 07:13 AM »
With last weeks weather there is no possible way to give anyone an ice update on any area in general. Someone who would give a report on ice thickness believing they’re doing justice is just as bad as the one believing the report. It will do you nothing. I would never put my life or anyone I am fishing with at risk.
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2020, 07:26 AM »
With last weeks weather there is no possible way to give anyone an ice update on any area in general. Someone who would give a report on ice thickness believing they’re doing justice is just as bad as the one believing the report. It will do you nothing. I would never put my life or anyone I am fishing with at risk.

Best answer yet (besides M&M’s 😉)! Where I usually fish it was open water Saturday and skimmed over with snow on top Sunday. Extreme caution should be used on unfamiliar lakes and ponds!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2020, 07:32 AM »
Truth.
And I would not follow someone else out either. Some just don't check and they go blind.
I watched sleds rip across an area yesterday, that was a wet area I had measured just 4" of crappy soft snow ice the night before. No thanks on taking someone's word for it. I'll check for myself.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2020, 08:47 AM »
I found 5 inches in front of my place and bogged down in either slush or was actually going through. On my way back to shore I could see shady areas of slush.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2020, 09:06 AM »
It was really difficult pulling my sled yesterday with that fresh snow and the slush. Ended up having only 3 and a half inches of ice, way less than I expected.

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:16 PM »
Thank to all for the intell, sounds like it could be questionable.

Offline OneBDI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:05 AM »
Latest forecast for Southern NH
Saturday
Rain likely after 1pm, mixing with snow after 5pm. Cloudy, with a high near 38. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Saturday Night
Snow before 9pm, then rain and snow between 9pm and 5am, then snow after 5am. Low around 33. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Sunday
Rain and snow before 1pm, then a chance of rain between 1pm and 2pm, then a chance of rain and snow after 2pm. High near 38. Chance of precipitation is 80%

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:10 AM »
i think they have it all covered  ;D
what about the sun... this is new england.. just wait 5 mins  :o
tuff for the derbys this weekend, gunna try and do mousam sunday :thumbsup:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:12 AM »
What's the old saying about believing some of what you see, half of what you hear and none of what you read?

You can listen to any reports you want, but take them with a grain of caution.

I will check out a place based on comments seen or read but I reserve the final decision on whether it's safe or not to ME!!!

Always check as you go when in doubt, and when you get that gnawing feeling in the pit of your stomach, LISTEN TO IT!!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:22 PM »
i think they have it all covered  ;D
what about the sun... this is new england.. just wait 5 mins  :o
tuff for the derbys this weekend, gunna try and do mousam sunday :thumbsup:

Have you had much luck on mouse in the past? Just curious. I have a place over on square but have only fished mouse once

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:33 PM »
Have you had much luck on mouse in the past? Just curious. I have a place over on square but have only fished mouse once

You got a place on Square?!? That’s sweet! I was there the other day, close to home
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:38 PM »
Yes, have caught a few decent browns in there over the years but camp gets closed down during the winter. Hopefully as my son gets older I can get that changed. Family camp and the old grandparents get the say. But I am sure if their great grandson asks, it would be a yes

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:12 PM »
did ok years ago, thinking on doing the derby sunday
couple friends on treasure isle trying to get them to do that derby ;)

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:21 PM »
Is it this sunday?

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2020, 05:36 AM »
Is it this sunday?
yes mouse this sun

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum